I,ve decided to get myself some chickens, fxck paying £2 for 6 free range eggs, Im going to start building my coop tomorrow but I have a few questions,

1. best place to buy chicken mesh ?

2. which type of feed and where to buy from ?

3. I,m sure I read somewhere its possible to keep hens without a cockeral and they will still lay eggs,

which type of hens to keep ?

Thanks in advance

You dont need a cock bird thats for sure. You'll pick up a roll of rabbit netting for about 30 quid for 50 metres, you get different guage strenghts so if you can afford it get heavy duty. If you have plenty to spare buy weldmesh. You'll get a layers pellet to feed them on at your local farmers store.

by the mesh from the internet,,,buy your feed from any pet supplier and then buy some warrens which will lay you eggs all day long ,,one thing when you add all the costs of keeping chickens you will be cheaper buying eggs in the supermarket ,,but it is a great feeling eating your own eggs and learning about looking after them....

• Like 1

by the mesh from the internet,,,buy your feed from any pet supplier and then buy some warrens which will lay you eggs all day long ,,one thing when you add all the costs of keeping chickens you will be cheaper buying eggs in the supermarket ,,but it is a great feeling eating your own eggs and learning about looking after them....

You,ve went and put me off now mate :laugh: I was hoping to save money to be honest, I was thinking if I buy basic feed for them and supplement this with stuff foraged when oot and aboot that would keep them healthy and they,d more than pay for there keep, I know I may have to treat them with preventitive medicine etc now and again, what other stuff should I consider ?

I dont keep chickens mate but i cant see how it would be more money either. Yes you will have your money to lay out first but after that its basically just feeding they need and you can pick up a 25kg bag of that from between £7-10 pound. You'd be lucky if they eat that bag in 1-2 months if you gave them scraps from the dinner plate. Lets say you get 4 hens and when all laying well you should be getting between 20 and 28 eggs a week. Now you wont eat that so could either give them away to friends and family or sell a couple of boxes to pay for feed.

Obviously when there not laying you'll still have to feed them but with a light in the coop they will lay away pretty steady.

• Like 1

my uncle keeps about 15 hens for laying, he has never bought laying pellets, he only buys growers pellets for his young birds, he feeds veg peelings bread fish skins fruit veg mouldy cow provin, and he gets bundles of eggs. if you have a big grassy area you could make a movable pen and they will get most of their food from the grass, insects gras etc, and would only need a few handfuls of pellets/grain a day, it is possible, just not when you read it in books :thumbs:

• Like 1

I dont keep chickens mate but i cant see how it would be more money either. Yes you will have your money to lay out first but after that its basically just feeding they need and you can pick up a 25kg bag of that from between £7-10 pound. You'd be lucky if they eat that bag in 1-2 months if you gave them scraps from the dinner plate. Lets say you get 4 hens and when all laying well you should be getting between 20 and 28 eggs a week. Now you wont eat that so could either give them away to friends and family or sell a couple of boxes to pay for feed.

Obviously when there not laying you'll still have to feed them but with a light in the coop they will lay away pretty steady.

aye I,ve just got right into this chook keeping again :laugh: thats a few eggs there Lab, wasn,t expecting that much, I,ve just managed to convince the wife into letting me get chickens so if I get 20 eggs a week I reckon she,ll get a bit more enthusiastic lol and I only need to buy mesh as I,m building the coop from reclaimed wood or to use the cooncil term "oot a skip " so wood wise its all good,

cheers mate :thumbs:

my uncle keeps about 15 hens for laying, he has never bought laying pellets, he only buys growers pellets for his young birds, he feeds veg peelings bread fish skins fruit veg mouldy cow provin, and he gets bundles of eggs. if you have a big grassy area you could make a movable pen and they will get most of their food from the grass, insects gras etc, and would only need a few handfuls of pellets/grain a day, it is possible, just not when you read it in books :thumbs:

I like yer thinking bud, cheers :thumbs:

Great idea this Kittlerox. As patterdalejoel says they'll get a lot of feed from the grass and insects etc but will need that topping up. I think after your initial start up costs are done, you'll have a good cheap to run set up there mate.

Get some pics up when you're finished.

Hi

The initial lay out can be expensive but it's rewarding,I keep 30 layers at any one time and the surpless eggs and veg I sell on a rickety old stall cover the cost of the feed and more when all the birds are In full lay,and I obviously get free eggs,there is usually money left over to buy most of the seeds for the growing year.get some bought bud it's a interesting hobby,

Atb

Edited by TWOTWOTHREE

Get yourself some point of lay (POL) hybrid pullets. Shouldn't cost too much.

Don't bother with 'rescued' (spent) hens because there is a good reason why they are being got rid of.

Pellets are the easiest way to feed as they contain everything they need and they don't spread them around everywhere.

Don't leave food and water out at night, and read the thread by the legend that shits in ditches (Click here for link.

Get yourself some point of lay (POL) hybrid pullets. Shouldn't cost too much.

Don't bother with 'rescued' (spent) hens because there is a good reason why they are being got rid of.

Pellets are the easiest way to feed as they contain everything they need and they don't spread them around everywhere.

Don't leave food and water out at night, and read the thread by the legend that shits in ditches (Click here for link.

I think rescue hens are a good thing. Most of the poor sods have been locked in cages or sheds all their lives and have never been for a scrat around in the mud. They still lay , just not as profficient as they once were but will still be good for another year.