Anyone with some suggestions please

Im posting this on here out of desperation really as i know there is wealth of experience with the dog lads on here that maybe able to help. My Rottie went off her food and water and sleeping all the time and no interest in anything at all. I took her to the vets and they said we think its her Hips which i didnt agree with but they said try her on some pain releif which did bring her up a little but still wont eat so i took her back to the vet 2 days later and they said we will need to keep her in to get some fluids in her and run some tests. The next day they done blood tests, ultra sound and other scans and xrays and it all came back all clear not even a sign of joint problem which are common with this breed. They put a camera down her throat to take a look and nothing. The vet then suggets we open her up and take a closer look at all her main organs and intestines which i agreed to as we wanted to get to the bottom of whats causing her to be so ill. Again this came back clear and they said she is perfect and we are not sure what to do next. The only other thing is maybe a brain tumor or something like that but she aint showing any signs of what we would expect to see if this was the case but then they told me that i have a limit on my insurance which i said how it covers up to 20k at which they said yeah but only 2k a year :censored: :censored: :censored: so basiclly they have inserted a tube in her side and im feeding a mixture through a suringe into the tube every 2 hours along with her meds. im sleeping down stairs with her so i can get her out and feed her every 2 hours and keep checking her. I have been trying to force feed her to try and get her to chew but she keeps spitting it out its like she has forgot how to chew. I feed all my dogs on raw so ive tried her with that but she just picks a chicken wing up and then it just fall out of her mouth.. She doesnt even look at water but im giving her water with her feed through the tube. Yesterday she has eaten some sausage but wont touch the boiled chicken or anything else. Ive taken her off the meds yesterday and she seems more awake and even been on a walk yesterday and this morning. I have asked the vet if it could be depression but they just throb me off maybe because there aint much money to be made with depression :hmm: as ther aint no expensive operation they can do. So my question is has anyone experienced this with any of there dogs if so what was the out come or can anyone suggest somethig she may eat or encourage her to eat. She is 6 years old in march never been ill before always loved her food and walks and is very fit. Im even starting to think am i doing the right thing by keeping her going through a tube as i dont want her to be unhappy or put her through any more pain as even if she had a brain tumor i have already said i wont put her through a brain operation as i dont think it would be fair or if it will help or not. Hope no one minds me posting this here in the lurcher section but would like your views or suggestions please thanks for reading. :thumbs:

2002127.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

Edited by saxonmaster
  • Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right some good news from the vets yesterday and because she is eating so well now and is looking so bright and she has responded so well to the steroids that they can rule out cancer and tumor she h

Im posting this on here out of desperation really as i know there is wealth of experience with the dog lads on here that maybe able to help. My Rottie went off her food and water and sleeping all the

hope its the better of the two outcomes mate..

Very difficult, it could be neurological but without an examination and or a brain scan (CT or MRI) it would be impossible to tell, in light of the normal physical results it would point in that direction. Discussing getting a CT head with the vet would be my first suggestion.

Any chance of poisoning? Although one would expect deranged bloods, any jaundice such as yellowing in the eyes, perhaps repeat liver function.

Hope you get an answer and a positive outcome.

Thanks everyone i spoke to the vets this after noon and they had her biopsy results back and they came back inconclusive there was no cancer cells from the areas they took the samples but they did come across some inflammed cells which maybe some type of gastro stomach problem but also they see these cells when there are other problems like brain tumor/cancers so we have but her on a very strong steroid which will help cure or control a stomach problem and the vet said if this helps you will see signs of inprovement within a few days but we have also said if it doesnt work by the end of the week we will be putting her to sleep. so ill be praying like mad and fingers crossed it will work. Thanks again everyone for your nice comments ill keep you updated

Thanks everyone i spoke to the vets this after noon and they had her biopsy results back and they came back inconclusive there was no cancer cells from the areas they took the samples but they did come across some inflammed cells which maybe some type of gastro stomach problem but also they see these cells when there are other problems like brain tumor/cancers so we have but her on a very strong steroid which will help cure or control a stomach problem and the vet said if this helps you will see signs of inprovement within a few days but we have also said if it doesnt work by the end of the week we will be putting her to sleep. so ill be praying like mad and fingers crossed it will work. Thanks again everyone for your nice comments ill keep you updated

I'll keep my fingers crossed too Billy, :thumbs:

All the best

Geoff

has her back teeth been checked out

that was my first thought mate i asked the vet and they said they cant see any signs of teeth or gum problems. Why was you thinking back teeth mate because i can take her back to get them checked tomorrow if you have an idea mate?

Have they looked into any auto immune disorders?

Not sure what you meant by inflamed cells?

Dogs do not need to have all the symptoms, mine did not.

Symptoms of canine autoimmune hemolytic anemia vary in severity (from very mild to fatal) depending on the titer of red blood cell autoantibodies and the dog’s general health. Fatality is most likely to occur when there is severe and rapid red blood cell destruction or liver involvement. However, fatality can also result from secondary complications. These complications include the release of coagulants from dying red blood cells. These coagulants, in turn, can cause the formation of blood clots that lodge in the heart or lungs. In addition, fragments of red blood cells or complexes of red blood cells and autoantibodies can lodge into the kidneys and interfere with renal function. Symptoms of canine AIHA include:

• Anemia, with low red blood cell count, hemoglobin and/or hematocrit
  • Fever
  • Depression
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Pallor of the mucus membranes
  • Hematuria (presence of blood in the urine)
  • Enlarged Spleen
  • Seizures
  • Peripheral neuropathy

Clinical Signs Used for Diagnosis

• Nonregenerative anemia
  • Spherocytosis seen on blood smear
  • Positive direct Coombs test

Edited by Moll.