air gun licence

Baldie makes a fair point.

There are too many tools with airguns presently who are doing responsible owners no favours.

However, how would it prove any more successful than the handgun ban? There are huge numbers of airguns out there they would never find out about

Licensing would then only take effect for newly sold rifles(they can only trace thru gunshops), creating an underground by default

Guest baldie

Done properly it would work.New guns on ticket, production of ticket for pellets, massive tv campaign telling people, its 10 years in the cells, with a big black guy called buttercup, for illegal possession. sorted. baldie for PM. :D

Yep, id go with a licening aswell as the bampots are tarring everybody with the same brush!!!!

But my only concern is how it will affect some people who have a criminal record with pety offences or people who have been at the wrong place at the wrong time,and been done with a breech or even assault!!This can happen......believe me.......But otherwise are good people and responsible airgun users :hmm:

Would you object to an air rifle/guns licence for all air rifle/guns? (even under 12ftLB) what would be your objection ?

I wouldnt think a licence would make any difference to stop the idiots getting there hands on air guns.Remember after the Dunblane trajedy all the law abiding people had there handguns and licences taking from them.And what did it acheive ? Nothing,there is more handgun crime than ever now.I would rather the government agreed to a standard pellet to be used when checking the power of air guns.There is too many pellets available that could take your gun over the 12ft/lb limit.If there was a set pellet you could set your gun with this pellet and not have to worry incase the police test your gun with a different pellet and it puts it over the limit.

Guest Scuba1

IMHO. There is no need for a full blown FAC for air rifles but there should be a license non the same. But with that there should be some kind of a course / test, teching people about gun safety , legal game, shot placement etc. so that some don´t go round shooting birds and not know the difference betwee a magpie and a blue tit.

I think something along those lines would be more productive then making people buy a gun cabinet for a tool that is a lot more danger to others if held by the barrel and swung like a club.

These days even a fisherman needs a license for going out witha rod and line and no one moans about that.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Michael

i think putting an 12ftlb air rifle in a cabinet is not necessary but some kind of licence stating you own the gun and that you are responsible is a good idea .

im fed up of hearing about little twats running around with air rifles shooting innocent people these twats are giving all of us responsible airgunners a bad name .

not registering the gun / being caught using the gun should be the same as firearms offence i think this would stop the twats and none of this community service crap put them away or fine high £1000s

Edited by woodchip
I wouldnt think a licence would make any difference to stop the idiots getting there hands on air guns.
But it would make them more accountable for when they do.

Remember after the Dunblane trajedy all the law abiding people had there handguns and licences taking from them.And what did it acheive ?
If the decent law abiding majority had a choice over licencing or a firearms offence what do you think they would choose? The Scots MP's want a total ban on air rifles which mean that no one can legally use one. Would you licence your air rifle to be legit or would you run the risk of a prison sentence?

I would rather the government agreed to a standard pellet to be used when checking the power of air guns.There is too many pellets available that could take your gun over the 12ft/lb limit.If there was a set pellet you could set your gun with this pellet and not have to worry incase the police test your gun with a different pellet and it puts it over the limit.
Shouldn't matter. Licence all air rifles and remove the power limit for FAC air rifles. Then they won't have to test your guns, with any kind of pellet, as your licence will show you're legit. Then they can concentrate on catching real criminals.

IMHO. There is no need for a full blown FAC for air rifles but there should be a license non the same. But with that there should be some kind of a course / test, teching people about gun safety , legal game, shot placement etc. so that some don´t go round shooting birds and not know the difference betwee a magpie and a blue tit.

I think something along those lines would be more productive then making people buy a gun cabinet for a tool that is a lot more danger to others if held by the barrel and swung like a club.

These days even a fisherman needs a license for going out witha rod and line and no one moans about that.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Michael

Sounds fair to me. Maybe with some sensible regulation it'll stop people insisting on using cheap Chinese underpowered rifles to kill songbirds and animals in parks as most people won't want to spend £50 on a licence and then £35 on a shit rifle. It'll stop impulse purchases and make most people think twice before carrying one around.

As it stands it's too lax. Some sort of competence training should be done because it's a f*****g disgrace as it stands.

i think putting an 12ftlb air rifle in a cabinet is not necessary but some kind of licence stating you own the gun and that you are responsible is a good idea .

im fed up of hearing about little twats running around with air rifles shooting innocent people these twats are giving all of us responsible airgunners a bad name .

not registering the gun / being caught using the gun should be the same as firearms offence i think this would stop the twats and none of this community service crap put them away or fine high £1000s

Having to put them in a cabinet would be another blow for the impulse buyer as the cost suddenly increases as do the onus of police checks.

It's exactly because of these f*****g idiots that we're in the state we're in. Mainly through general ignorance. People can buy guns online and be shooting starlings next working day. That's not good.

A few good points there CJ.I would rather have airguns licenced rather than banned.A few background checks before a person could own an airgun wouldnt be a bad idea.If airguns do have to be licenced I would think they would still keep the 12 ft/lbs limit however.Obviously a proper sentence for the scrotes that think there above the law would also be a good deterrent.TBH I think it will only be a matter of time before a licence of some sort will be brought in.

Yeah. I tend to agree with that. It would be nice to get it on our terms for a change but restricting air rifles doesn't seem to have too many people against the proposal.

However the government aren't known for their common sense law. I expect something draconian and unworkable.

liceense good idea :clapper:

quote;there should be some kind of a course / test, teching people about gun safety , legal game, shot placement etc. so that some don´t go round shooting birds and not know the difference betwee a magpie and a blue tit

there is, you can take a marksmanship course at BISLEY cost's between £50 and £100 all us pest controllers working for london underground havve to take it, before being allowed to take an air rifle on the platform