bit of advice wanted canaries

Im new to this iv got my self some canaries and want to try breeding them,iv got them paired up in breeding cages in a small room under my stairs there is a window witch lets in light and theres a light bulb but thats not very bright should I add a extra light to try and make it brighter, iv alo put my nest pans in yesterday have I done this far to early should I take them out, like I say im new to this so iv probably balls uped everything, id be greatful of any advice of you more experienced lads thanks HR

My canaries have got nest pans and just as important nesting material to use,they are also getting a bit extra light to help them along as they are in a outside shed now i have paired them up with a native cock each to get a round of mules out of them.This time last year i had mules eggs in the nest but this year i have just started them later,i have a low energy bulb in the shed and i just have it on a hour or so longer than sunset as such,as for ballsing it up mate we all do that and it's part of the learning curve so they say :laugh: .Good luck and keep us updated and if you feel it's to dark for your birds then try another light,it's a personal call on how bright you want it for your birds mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

thanks for the reply fm will let you know how I get on :thumbs:

what ya could with fella his a daylight bulb if there his not enough natural daylight canaries if left natural will be april may time when they go to nest , never a rush breeding in the winter mths his not a good policy . atb bunnys.
  • Like 1

Im new to this iv got my self some canaries and want to try breeding them,iv got them paired up in breeding cages in a small room under my stairs there is a window witch lets in light and theres a light bulb but thats not very bright should I add a extra light to try and make it brighter, iv alo put my nest pans in yesterday have I done this far to early should I take them out, like I say im new to this so iv probably balls uped everything, id be greatful of any advice of you more experienced lads thanks HR

Hi mate im no expert but this is what id do, you would be best to try and get as much natural light in there as possible then start bringing them into condition with some condition seed bit of soaked seed and pinch of egg food daily. its up to you but i wouldt put my pans in until my hens are carrying nesting material about trying to build thats just the way i do it its totaly up to find out what works best for you and stick by your routine any more questions pal

• Like 1

thanks for the reply fm will let you know how I get on :thumbs:

what ya could with fella his a daylight bulb if there his not enough natural daylight canaries if left natural will be april may time when they go to nest , never a rush breeding in the winter mths his not a good policy . atb bunnys.

yep just as bunny said get a daylight bulb in make sure it comes on the morning then let the birds go to roost naturaly at sunset if thise makes sense .

My canaries have got nest pans and just as important nesting material to use,they are also getting a bit extra light to help them along as they are in a outside shed now i have paired them up with a native cock each to get a round of mules out of them.This time last year i had mules eggs in the nest but this year i have just started them later,i have a low energy bulb in the shed and i just have it on a hour or so longer than sunset as such,as for ballsing it up mate we all do that and it's part of the learning curve so they say :laugh: .Good luck and keep us updated and if you feel it's to dark for your birds then try another light,it's a personal call on how bright you want it for your birds mate :thumbs:

hi mate where them eggs fertile off your mules at this time last year pal

Budharley my eggs this time last year were eggs containing mules not eggs out of mules and out of those eggs 1/3 were fertile.

Hi mate thats what i meant thats good goin that pal how did you get your natives into condition so early ive always taken a round of canaries first did you just increase the day lenth with lights cheers

go out and buy a day light bulb and a bit of nesting hair ect you will see the hen picking up nesting stuff and building with it 12h0urs of light is good mate

As i said in my post last year it wasn't really planned i just had a light on in the shed for a extra few hours a day so i could check them first thing before work then in the evening again as i was out to work in the dark and home in the dark and they just came into condition themselves(wouldn't have seen them at all without the extra light) and they were goldie mules Gnipper.I have paired them up and placed nesting pans,etc because the canaries were carrying nesting stuff about in the aviary and the native cock birds are both singing and displaying and saying that the canary that's in with my greenie cock was half way through building a nest this morning. :thumbs:

Around midday today i saw my stepsons redpoll hen carrying a old millet stem about and when i went into water and feed them i discovered her with a started nest in some false xmas tree i have bits of about for cover,i have since put in nesting stuff for her and some extra pans about the place and we'll just have to see how she goes.It has been very mild in Norfolk this winter and it seems this year inside or out they want to go to nest early,"crack on then birds" i say!. :laugh:

Edited by fireman

At this stage of the year I am four or five weeks into getting my canaries into breeding condition with the hope that they will go to nest in early or mid April depending on the weather.

All winter long all they got was a good canary mix with greens a couple of times a week but since January I have been feeding them with sprouted seed, grated brocolli, grated carrot, a small amount of eggfood, spoonful of honey and a spoonful of wheat germ oil once a week increasing it every week until they breed when it will be up to four times weekly.

I give them multi vits in the water once a fortnight as well.

A calcium supplement is good as well. I offer them fresh baths every two days as I believe it also helps get them into breeding condition.

my canary has started building her nest, i put lots of the hair and stuff in that they build there nest with she used it all put more in she used all that as well do i put even more in, and when the nest is done how long before she starts laying eggs she in with a siskin when the eggs are here do i take the siskin out, thanks HR