Clearing misconceptions

I agree with Mosby. People tend to breed what they need. Plenty of people hunting with terriers that will level some serious correction on a dog for going to ground or trashing. If I need a terrier that will run a track, I don't go to a man who leads his dogs to game. If I need a dog that locates, I don't go to a barn or brush pile purist. It is also regional. For my money I would bet that most terrier hunters do not dig to their dogs often enough.

Edited by jawn
  • Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Mosby Having been a regular visitor to the USA for the past 21 years, sometimes 2, 3 and 4 times a year. I've hunted a number of the different quarry species you mention with terriers, in a varie

I think there are some prejudices about what americans expect from our dogs that I would like to clear up.   The first of which is that every American wants a hard dog. This is not true. Americans

Good post, its easy to forget how big and varied it is over there

Interesting thoughts.

Mosby,

I appreciate when someone makes an effort to contribute to a board filled with educational / insightful post from others by offering one of his own so for what it is worth I will give you A+ for effort and less than that for content.

Regarding hard terriers and the people who admire them.

I gotta say I find your observation to be incredibly judgmental.

I do NOT understand why terrier hunters in so many words apologize for appreciating courage.

Courage should be admired and always rewarded.

I don't give a care what the political climate is in areas where mainly city folk live who have NEVER lived off the land and not even for a day hunted up their own meat and or do not understand hunting. I would NEVER disguise how I feel to suit the false views of others.

Terrier should ALWAYS be synonyms with TOUGH! If I wanted a dog that was nothing more than an excellent locator, and bayed its head off to “hold” game in a given area I would toss all my terriers and get into hounds.

If a guy likes a terrier to bay and not touch quarry than a bayer is the answer. If a guy likes a terrier to catch game and keep it from fleeing then a gritty, or dare I say harder dog is for you.

I don’t come up with all these judgmental reasons why someone would prefer a bayer, over a harder type I just appreciate when a person defines their likes and leaves it at that.

Anti hunting entities are ALWAYS trying to paint a negative picture (much like you did) of a person that appreciates a dog that will work toward controlling game, or if need be dispatching it.

I make NO excuses for my admiration of a terrier that will give his ALL to take quarry. There are times a terrier will get in an undigable spot where they either have to dispatch the quarry, or fold and come out broken. What would the bayer do in this situation? Die of starvation while keeping the game “held”?

I say breed the best locators you have, loaded with hunt drive that will hunt as hard in the 8th hour as they did in the 1st in an area completely void of game. Breed from those with the intellect to be able to decipher a difficult track, locate its game, then wisely break it down and if necessary dispatch it. We can’t always reach them and there are times when the job is all their own. As breeders it is our responsibility to breed in as much mouth, and ability for their success and protection. We don’t go out in the field without the proper equipment and neither should our workers.

My 2 pennies but what do I know I'd LOVE a worker that hunts as good as the best terrier that ever lived and controls, or dispatches their game like a nice bulldog should

Edited by MainAttraction!

A hard dog is not useful in all areas. Neither is a bayer. In some situations a hard dog is the ticket. I've seen them and know their uses. In other situations I'd choose the bayer. I think you'd find with alot of good terriers that mixing or baying isn't a lack of courage but is a bit of brain in the pan. The point of this entire topic is to point out that there are different types of hunting to be done in America and it takes different types of dogs. You have what you like and hell, if I saw your dogs work I would admire them if they do what you have described. Keep in mind though that different people like different dogs. Not saying one or another is the right or wrong kind of dog.

Edited by Mosby

Main attraction! you crack me up. First you assign yourself the role of "teacher"- passing out grades and everything! Then you talk about huntin' up dinner... C'mon man, are you eatin those coons!?!? Hahahaha. Just f*****g with you man. but seriously, who wouldn't rather be out hunting than sittin at home pickin scabs off a wrecked dog. I can appreciate all styles of terrierwork, as well as the infinite # of scenarios, but personally when I go out I always hope for a bolt. This is the only way to take large #'s of game with minimal injury to the dog. That to me is the best case scenario. Maybe other people's best case scenario is the dog exhausting itself in a single epic battle to the finish. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I say breed the best locators you have, loaded with hunt drive that will hunt as hard in the 8th hour as they did in the 1st in an area completely void of game.

i have a hound like that, if scenting is bad due to snow/ice or there is little game around, he will face the wind and run untill he finds something to hunt.might be a good dog in your case, but i my case, well, i´m kinda tired of driving into sweden to pick him up :whistling:

theres more to a terrier than hunt drive, there should be a bit of brain in there as well, isnt that what courage really is, knowing the consequenses but going for it anyway?

if people got into terriers purely for pestcontrol i think we`d have a whole different line of dogs around, and the honest, little foxbolter would be a valued member of every little terrierpack around.

• Like 1

I hunt a variety of game. Some of my dogs are force broke to retrieve. They will retrieve a rabbit or a duck to hand. Some of these same dogs are extremely aggressive, hard dogs on fur. But you can take one of these dogs hog hunting and the same dog that took it to a coon, can become a completely different animal. Some will bay a hog. Some that will mix with a coon, will become suicidal on a hog if you let them. You just never know till you know.

Everyone hunts for their own reason. It doesn't have to have anything to do with putting meat in the freezer.

I agree with the above post. Courage and brains DO NOT have to be mutually exclusive. Most times, I prefer a dog that can think on it's feet and adapt. But then again... there are times when an honestly stupid hard dog work best. And they can be fun to hunt with once a month.

I hunt hogs and sometimes a loose baying dog is exactly what you need. Say you have a hog that takes pleasure out of killing your dogs. A dog that will stop a runner and stay out of his face gives you a chance to get there and harvest the hog. Does this mean that the same dog won't be all forward geared on fur? No. It pays to be able to have more than one tool in the box. But if I could have only one terrier. It would be a jagd with the brains and heart to do what I need it to do. This same dog may be junk to another man. Just sayin.

• Like 1

Bravery is having no fear. Courage is facing your fears.

A brave dog will smash into quarry without thought. A courageous dog will be aware of the danger it's in and face it's quarry with a more methodical, level headed approach. I like both, but the courageous dog gets more fur and sustains less injury and that's a fact.

• Like 1

Let me see if I can help you out then Mart. A dog that is hard on one type of game can not be assumed to be the same way on another unless you enjoy being wrong.

You do not know what a dog will do in any situation until you see it with your own eyes. Go ahead and make the assumtion that a good fox or badger dog will be the same on a coon and see if you don't come away looking smart. The same is true in reverse.

I see no difference between bravery and courage. But a brave dog in my book takes it to the game and doesn't give up. A smart dog learns to do it the right way. Example, a dog that learns in the pen that I will clobber it with a stick if it keeps working the head of a hog and that I like it when it stays on the @ss end so that the hog will want to avoid having it's nuts eaten off. How did that work for you chief?