Electricity cable thefts.

Do you live in a rural place ? Is your Electricity "Overhead" fed ? Is the wire Green and is it 4 separate vertical wires from the pole top ?

If yes then this is a heads up to you.

Lots of this type of wire is being stolen at the moment and it can damage the appliances in your home. To put it simply the way the wire is being stolen leaves the house without a Neutral, (A safe return for the used Electric) The used Electricity will then try to go down the houses Earth wires connected to the Gas and Water pipes. (Assuming the house is connected via a PME (Protective Multiple Earth system) Most houses are nowadays) As these aren't up to the job of dealing with used Electric (There just an earth). The house then gets high Volts.

Typically high volts can damage the Electronics in the house, ie, Computer, TV, Freeview/Sky box, that sort of thing, but more importantly, the boiler. As this act is a theft, the local Electricity company isn't liable for the damage. You have to claim off your house insurance. If that hasn't gone by the wayside in this recession aswell. The signs of a "lost" Neutral are very dim lights, the Kettle/Cooker/Electric shower not working properly and even dimmer lights when something else is switched on.

If the above happens, turn off your fuse box and contact the local Leccy board and see if there is a cable theft nearby. There may not be, but if there is, turning the fuse board off may save you a bob or two in repairs and ultimately still keep you warm.

This is not a wind up i promise you. I work in the Electricity industry and we are having this type of cable theft every day. We are replacing hundreds of metres of nicked cable daily. No need to be alarmed guys, just a heads up in case. :thumbs:

Arch.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

but death will

im a domestic electrician and the amount of times people have stolen my cable is crazy! i dont really blame them but they tend to steal a little bit and leave the main runs which doesnt make sence o

I'm a sparks too, you should see how quick any scrap I chuck in the bin dissapears on site with all these easterns about!! Like tramps on chips....

Do you live in a rural place ? Is your Electricity "Overhead" fed ? Is the wire Green and is it 4 separate vertical wires from the pole top ?

If yes then this is a heads up to you.

Lots of this type of wire is being stolen at the moment and it can damage the appliances in your home. To put it simply the way the wire is being stolen leaves the house without a Neutral, (A safe return for the used Electric) The used Electricity will then try to go down the houses Earth wires connected to the Gas and Water pipes. (Assuming the house is connected via a PME (Protective Multiple Earth system) Most houses are nowadays) As these aren't up to the job of dealing with used Electric (There just an earth). The house then gets high Volts.

Typically high volts can damage the Electronics in the house, ie, Computer, TV, Freeview/Sky box, that sort of thing, but more importantly, the boiler. As this act is a theft, the local Electricity company isn't liable for the damage. You have to claim off your house insurance. If that hasn't gone by the wayside in this recession aswell. The signs of a "lost" Neutral are very dim lights, the Kettle/Cooker/Electric shower not working properly and even dimmer lights when something else is switched on.

If the above happens, turn off your fuse box and contact the local Leccy board and see if there is a cable theft nearby. There may not be, but if there is, turning the fuse board off may save you a bob or two in repairs and ultimately still keep you warm.

This is not a wind up i promise you. I work in the Electricity industry and we are having this type of cable theft every day. We are replacing hundreds of metres of nicked cable daily. No need to be alarmed guys, just a heads up in case. :thumbs:

Arch.

i can vouch 4 this as i install hv cables from 33kv up to 400kv and all so work on lv faults.not so long ago a young kid was found dead in skelton grange ss tried pinching the links from link box

It will soon be illegal for scap dealers to pay for scrap with cash.

Might stop the pikeys stealing a bit but I can see the poles sending the stuff out of the country in lorrys.

Thinking again the poles might start a black market and the pikeys will sell to them.