Successful roedeer stalk

I thought I might share an experience with you lads, from a roedeer stalk a month ago in Croatia.

A friend of mine, who's a president of one of the hunters association in northern part of Croatia, invited me for a doe culling.

Well, to make a long story short, it was a windy and cold morning, just after the sunrise we left our car at one spot and slowly started to stalk.

Not so far away, there was a herd of roedeer on a meadow minding their own business. Slowly, using a small and thick forest as a concealment, we managed to get really close, to about 50-60 meters. The wind was in our favor.

A friend of mine looked through his binoculars and chose one of the does which he wanted me to take out.

I've set my shooting stick and seconds after, a 100 grains 6.5x55 Barnes TTSX was on it's way to the doe.

I helped him to hang it on the tree and we went back to the car. We drove for 10 minutes to a different area of his hunting ground, parked the car ad slowly started stalking again.

After about 20 minutes of stalking, we spotted another herd of deer about 200 meters away, so we decided to get closer.

This time, the wind wasn't much in our favor and was changing direction from time to time. We managed to get pretty close, my friend spotted a doe which had some kind of a tumor hanging down from her stomach so he said that I should try to take that one.

As I was preparing to take the shot, apparently the wind brought our scent to them and all of them slowly started to get away from us.

The "chosen one" wouldn't stop. I was looking at her through my scope at 10x magnification and just waited for the right moment.

They were still getting away and the chances were slimmer and slimmer, I could see her only from behind, a bit of her neck and her head...Suddenly she stops! I was saying to myself: "c'mon, turn your head, let me see you..." And she did!

Not even a second after that, another Barnes was on it's way to her.

After we had a couple of small sips from my hip flask, we went to pick her up. We put her in the car, went to get the first doe and departed towards the hunting lodge to butcher them.

Later that thay when I got home, I downloaded the track from my GPS and figured out that I took that second doe at exactly 163 meters.

It was a good and interesting stalk, I hope I'll do it again next season.

post-59092-0-42641500-1328190802.jpg post-59092-0-70237500-1328190827_thumb.jpg

Edited by icebug