A shine with yeeharr

Last night Yeeharr, John and Myself took a wander around the farm. Yeeharr’s DH x GH, Paddy is 11 months old next week and it was time to get him going with some easy bunnies on the lamp.

Paddy’s done plenty of work with the rifle and  shotgun, retrieving rabbits and squirrels, he’s also despatched quite a few squirrels that have been bought down with the catty. Yeeharr’s held him back and not let him do too much as he’s a big dog that needed to grow properly and still acts like a puppy, being a Deerhound X.

We gave him a run last week at Yeeharr’s place and the couple of rabbits that we saw remained unsighted by the dog, due to the ground being set aside. We ran him down the beam to one that Yeeharr had hit with his 12 bore and let him pick it up, the rabbits on Yeeharrs land are for dogs to run and not for shooting but we made an exception with this one!

Last night saw us out on the farm by 8pm, a little early, but it was a school night. There was no cloud, a bright moon, no wind and the ground was hard and crisp under  foot! Not ideal conditions but we were going for a wander anyway. We had the one dog and Yeeharr’s .223.

Just beyond the farm buildings, we spotted a bunny 60 yards out from the hedge in a grazing paddock. Using the Lightforce, with a red filter, we got to around 80 yards. Switching to the little Clulite without a filter, to give the dog a better view, we managed to position ourselves between the rabbit and the hedge. The rabbit squatted right down and laid it’s ears flat, Yeeharr moved forward, the dog leaning forward into the slip. As the distance closed to 30 yards between bunny and dog it sprung up and started to run. Paddy was slipped and ran along the beam, the rabbit turned hard as the dog neared and ran towards the hedge, Paddy turned and quickly made up the ground he’d lost. He turned the rabbit just as it reached the rough ground along the hedge line and it ran parallel with the hedge. As the dog put his head down to strike, the rabbit dived for the hedge. It hit the stock fence and bounced off of it! The dog turned it again and as it ran back into the field he reached out and caught the rabbit in his jaws! After a bit of moving about to get a decent grip, Paddy trotted over to Yeaharr and put the rabbit in his hand. This one was still alive, due to being started on squirrels and finishing them off with a good shake we had concerns over how hard he’d hit the rabbits. It wouldn’t be a problem though because the rabbits aren’t going to market and ultimately rabbits aren’t going to be his main quarry.  

We carried on in a loop around the farm, a lot of the fields weren’t any good due to being ploughed and rock hard. The moon was lighting everything up and making it hard work. We walked a path down to the gate of a horse paddock adjoining a property. A we stood there and flicked the lamp on a bunny sat in the paddock the other side of the stock fence, only 15 yards away. Yeeharr passed me the dog slip and lamp and pulled his catty out of his pocket. He sent a lump of lead towards the bunny but it missed high and the bunny run under the fence towards us, I slipped the dog and he took off towards the rabbit. It quickly reached cover and the dog followed it straight into the bush! Yeeharr called him and he didn’t come back. Worried that he might be hunting up he called again, at that point we heard a squeal and the dog walked out from the bush with the rabbit in it’s mouth! He bought it to Yeeharrs’s hand, this one was dead.

As we made our way back we stopped at a field gate and had a shine across the field, a pair of eyes shone back. Making sure that I didn’t bang the gate with any part of the gun, I rested on the top rail and lined the scope up with the foxes shoulder. He carried on trotting towards us, as Yeeharr called with his Wham call. It paused for a split second at around 60 yards and I squeezed the trigger. The 40 grain ballistic tip hit it, where I’d aimed, tore it’s front leg off and dropped it on the spot.

We packed up about 10.30pm, despite the conditions it was a good night out and a good start for the pup. No great chases but a couple of nice confidence building runs.

5a552197.jpg

DSCN1208-1.jpg

0d5aeb7d-1.jpg

DSCN1214-1.jpg

0e5f0056.jpg

Thanks fazza!

Yeah mick they are decent, they have a hi and low light out put and also a flashing setting. We take it everywere with us as its small and light. We get a good few hours lamping with it aswell.

where can i get one and how much :thumbs:

John nice right up and a good night with the pup,man I was looking at those lamps today looks the job for a bit of covert stuff what's the filter like?? And how long will it give you lamping really says 3hrs on the site?

Paddy looks like my dog.....alot!!

Edited by Westy76