HELP can i own an air rifle again?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi all.quick question, i came out of prison 4 years ago for a minor offence and want to get back into shooting. can i own another air rifle even tho ive been to prison.i have losts of permission? re

What was your sentence?   If you served 7 weeks, then I'd assume you were probably sentenced to 14 weeks, which is more than the three months and so you are a "prohibited person" and are not allowed

rang fire arms officer today. fcukin gutted i am.got to wait another year.cheers for advice gents

Depend on what your conviction was for mate....if it was firearm related or brandishing an air arm in a public place then i doubt it very much but not to sure...Also about your perm's you will have to ask land owners on that one

edited to say sorry mate didnt read it prop if it was a minor offence then that should be no prob

There is no reason as far as i can see that you can`t own an air rife . Unless it was stated that you can`t ( then you would know , right ? ) but there is no legal certification of owning one . But , if you have `form` make sure its kept in order , as if you get a pull and they look up your record , they will probably try to get you on someting .

well it was for fighting and served 7 week in prison.i have lots of good permission locally and have the chance of a good rifle.just need to know weather ime going get in the shite for shooting

were you ever told that you couldnt have an air rifle /as long as its under 12flbs you should be ok

I have been I little bit off a noughty boy years ago and I think it states on your dischargee sheet that u are not alloud fire power for 5years on miner offences but 10 on big things like killing the misses I'm after mine do not no were to get them cos last time a shot was 25 years ago no1 :)

i have been told that anybody that goes to prison is not allowed a air rifle for 5 years. ime askin on here hoping theres some experts that could put me right

Spot on mate, after 5 years you can own a air rifle again

Edited by BEARINATOR

i have been told that anybody that goes to prison is not allowed a air rifle for 5 years. ime askin on here hoping theres some experts that could put me right

technicly it can be classed as a firearm , so depends on your release conditions ,,only way to be sure is ring the old bill and find out for sure

Just a quick search online i came upon this

These parts of the law apply to everyone using airguns: • Airguns must not be loaded in public places. This includes having pellets in a magazine near the gun. It is now illegal to carry an airgun in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

• You must always have written permission of the landowner or occupier when shooting on private property.

• All pellets discharged from your airgun must stay within the boundary of the ground on which you have permission to shoot.

• Airguns should not be discharged within 50 feet from the centre of a public highway.

• If you wish to hunt live quarry you can shoot those animals considered as vermin under the general license. These are: Birds; Crow, Rook, Jackdaw, Magpie, Jay, Woodpigeon, Collard Dove and Feral Pigeon. Mammals; Brown Rat, Grey Squirrel, Mink and Rabbits. Please remember: you have a moral obligation to your quarry to afford it a clean kill, only practice on the range will make you skilled enough to do this.

• If you have been sentenced to any form of detention or corrective training you cannot possess an airgun or pellets unless permitted by the Firearms Act.

• It is an offence to assist anyone to break the law.

• Air rifles must not be carried in the commission of any offence.

I think best option is to speak to your local police mate reguarding this matter to be on safe side

http://www.bfto.org.uk/law.htm

Section 21 of The Firearms Act 1968

Main points to be aware of:

• Anyone who has been imprisoned or subject to corrective training (including young offenders institutions in Scotland) for a period of 3 years or more cannot have an airgun or ammunition in his / her possession at any time.

• Anyone who has been subject to corrective training (including Borstal) for a period of less than 3 years or has been imprisoned for a period of over 3 months but less than 3 years can use an airgun after a period of 5 years after release, but they cannot own an airgun of their own.

• There are other specific situations outlined by Section 21. It is advised that you familiarise yourself with these points as well to ensure that you are shooting within the law.

Have a read of that page . I would ring the BASC in the morning and see where you stand . Good luck with it

Edited by Buster321c