Dilemma

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate theres always something that could go wrong when entering a terrier to ground, Everytime they enter we risk losing them its something you have to get your head round, its not a nice thought but i

plenty of lads just hunt rats in large numbers and breed from there stock, doesnt make them wrong and there dogs any worse for it. stick with what you fancy doing, its your dog and time all the best

If you are only half hearted then the answer is no .Its not a matter of having to dig the dog out but wanting to .If it does start and you arnt 100% on the idea then give it away to someone that is .

just try him, what can go wrong? collar him up and let him go :)

Mate theres always something that could go wrong when entering a terrier to ground, Everytime they enter we risk losing them its something you have to get your head round, its not a nice thought but it is the reality of terrier work.

well if your half hearted about it then dont bother, and i do worry, every time my dogs to ground, especially in a new earth, last time he was entered it all went silent, i felt sh!t!

• Like 1

just try him, what can go wrong? collar him up and let him go :)

Mate theres always something that could go wrong when entering a terrier to ground, Everytime they enter we risk losing them its something you have to get your head round, its not a nice thought but it is the reality of terrier work.

well if your half hearted about it then dont bother, and i do worry, every time my dogs to ground, especially in a new earth, last time he was entered it all went silent, i felt sh!t!

I wasnt saying anything against you, i was just pointing out the fact that alot could go wrong.

I would wonder what sort of man doesnt worry about there terriers, I know i have had some scares in the past and its awful, These little dogs deserve all the respect in the world for the job they do for us!

• Like 1

Jesus christ some of the nobs on this sight, its an earthdog forum and the fellas scared to let it go to ground, youve wasted your time getting a pat, as has been said theirs plenty of dogs out there that will kill rats and rabbits and not to be forgotten if you do let it go imagine the shock on your familys face when you bring the dog home and its lips hanging down by its toes, this is what I admire about my dogs their willingness to go into battle with out a second thought for their own health, it doesnt seem from what you say that you fully understand the working dog game.

Marvin, if the dog is primarily a pet and you bought him as a pet for you and the family, don't risk his life underground. If he was bought in to work for you then that's different but I'm guessing he's a family pet first. No harm in having some fun bushing/ratting but there might come a day when he goes down a hole of his own accord becuase of his breeding so maybe another breed would've been a better choice. My terriers are part of the family but they're bred to be able to do a job and that's in their make up. I choose to keep dogs that will go down holes and I also choose the risk that comes with that.

Stevie

• Like 1

Jesus christ some of the nobs on this sight, its an earthdog forum and the fellas scared to let it go to ground, youve wasted your time getting a pat, as has been said theirs plenty of dogs out there that will kill rats and rabbits and not to be forgotten if you do let it go imagine the shock on your familys face when you bring the dog home and its lips hanging down by its toes, this is what I admire about my dogs their willingness to go into battle with out a second thought for their own health, it doesnt seem from what you say that you fully understand the working dog game.

i do apologise to you for buying a patterdale terrier if this makes me a knob, (its spelt with a k you know), but ill let your illiteracy pass for now while we discuss you other comments further Tiny tim, The shock on my boys face would be a big factor to me, maybe not to you, i agree there are other dogs that i could of bought but i was offered a patterdale lakey cross so i took it, he comes out with the ferrets and is coming on well hopefully he will get a few rats and rabbit as he grows up (good lord a patterdale being used for ratting and rabbits) i do hope this doesn't upset you so soon after your alphabetti spaghetti when i point out to you I CANT RECALL SAYING I WAS SCARED, i said it was a dilemma and wondered if anyone else had went through the same cognitive thought pattern, obviously you haven't, so ill take your reply with a pinch of salt and wont even go as far as to mention its a site not a sight, as i feel your Jeremy Kyle intellect may be almost overloaded by now, I'll bid you farewell and will you on your merry way, Oh one last thing thank you for your insightful input im sure your comments have been a fountain of knowledge to lads starting out in the game :bye: TTFN

Marvin, if the dog is primarily a pet and you bought him as a pet for you and the family, don't risk his life underground. If he was bought in to work for you then that's different but I'm guessing he's a family pet first. No harm in having some fun bushing/ratting but there might come a day when he goes down a hole of his own accord becuase of his breeding so maybe another breed would've been a better choice. My terriers are part of the family but they're bred to be able to do a job and that's in their make up. I choose to keep dogs that will go down holes and I also choose the risk that comes with that.

Stevie

Yeah he is a pet first and will be bushing and ratting with him, he comes out regular, just need to gather as much knowledge as i can really to help with any decision i make along the way, if he decides to dip down a hole of his own accord then ill deal with it at the time. All the best dude :thumbs:

• Like 1

if earthwork intrests you (i think the seed has been planted now) i would get out with some terrier guys on digs and see how its done and what it involves mate. youll get to see the highs and lows if your out enough and what can happen. then decide if you want YOUR dog to be doing it and if so if i was you i would bring in another terrier that you will use for earthwork. personaly i wouldnt use a family pet. keep that for fun days out ratting, rabbits and mooching about because if anything happens to it (and theres a good chance it might) everyone in the house will blame you lol

99% of people on here cant spell and nobody gives a flying f**k, if thats all you can get me on big deal. The fact still remains you jumped the gun and got yourself into something you know nothing about.

ere beak 4 ur elf jimmy ears otting rong wit mi cpelling :thumbs:
  • Like 1

Why is it when people get an answer they don't like they start picking up on spelling and grammer in the persons post, then the other side replies by calling them everything under the sun it's like a bloody school yard on here sometimes.

The bloke has a patterdale and doesn't work it to ground so what, if he's happy with it then thats all that matters. Before you all start I know it's a cardinal sin to own a working breed terrier and not dig to it in some people's eyes but get off your little orange boxes and just answer the blokes question. Working the dog on rats and rabbits will mentally stimulate the dog and provide it with a decent level of work to keep it active. If your not prepared to have the dog injured or killed don't send it to ground simple.

Edited by Rhodey

Why is it when people get an answer they don't like they start picking up on spelling and grammer in the persons post, then the other side replies by calling them everything under the sun it's like a bloody school yard on here sometimes.

The bloke has a patterdale and doesn't work it to ground so what, if he's happy with it then thats all that matters. Before you all start I know it's a cardinal sin to own a working breed terrier and not dig to it in some people's eyes but get off your little orange boxes and just answer the blokes question. Working the dog on rats and rabbits will mentally stimulate the dog and provide it with a decent level of work to keep it active. If your not prepared to have the dog injured or killed don't send it to ground simple.

Spot on Rhodey, I know a few lads with patterdales that wouldn't go to ground with a miners head lamp on :yes: and they act like they know it all :whistling: . Marvin if you are near me then I'll take you out on a days digging and see if it's for you and if it ain't then I won't complain ;) . Just enjoy what your dog does whether it's a busher, marker or a earth dog as it's yours at the end of the day :victory:

• Like 1