retreveing the bullet from the carcus? have you?

this was retreved from a fallow buck i took a while ago now but just found the pic again and thought you would enjoy it??

i went back to find the cartridge the next day and it took me an age, but i never gave up haha.

anyone else managed to collect a head in good condition?

pic

686ec82f.jpg

john

I have retrieved particles quite a few times especially when the bullet has hit the rib cage and broke up and rattled around the inside of the body cavity , but never had one intact , although i know a few guys who have, usually its in and blow hole out with the ones i have shot.

Bullets do the most strange things when expanding but it looks like it did what it was meant to do and impart its energy in the beast.

If I could get mine to do that everytime without a blow hole and leaving the beast dead on the spot i would be well pleased, so would the game dealer :yes: the only problem would be lack of blood trail if a wounded beast was encountered.

Theres a lot of research going on at present about bullet design and lead fragmentation contained within a carcass but if the bullet performed as well as this one leaving its energy in its intended target then removal would be an easy task.

Edited by Caprelous

I have only ever got one back nicely mushroomed like the first picky, that was on a very heavy fallow buck who was pumped up on love, shot at about 40yds and he did not have a clue i was there, he just sort of shuddered and started walking off, quickly reloaded but he stopped stood and then dropped. The shot was text book engine room with a 243, the lead was on the opposite side between the skin and flesh, after this i decided 243 was not for me on rutting fallow at close quaters, 6.5x55 after that, thump and they are on their side every time.

Now just bought a 308, see how that does things when i finally get a chance to get out with it.

Here's one from a Roe that was shot quartering away,and without touching green it was reclaimed from the nearside haunch,and it never mushroomed at all as you can see,but what quite happened it is very hard to tell.............

It was a 100gr soft point..........

DSC_0002-13.jpg

DSC_0001-5.jpg

Here is another that was shot by a friend on my land,and to say the least I was not a happy bunny,he actually shot two Bucks that day with the same result,apparently it was a 70gr hollow point(part of a load he was given.....wonder why)

IMG_16850001.jpg

IMG_16830001.jpg

And this is the result to one of the carcases...........

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

What was left after trimming......

DSC00143.jpg

He was banned form ever using them again!

Here's one from a Roe that was shot quartering away,and without touching green it was reclaimed from the nearside haunch,and it never mushroomed at all as you can see,but what quite happened it is very hard to tell.............

DSC_0002-13.jpg

DSC_0001-5.jpg

Here is another that was shot by a friend on my land,and to say the least I was not a happy bunny,he actually shot two Bucks that day with the same result,apparently it was a 70gr hollow point(part of a load he was given.....wonder why)

IMG_16850001.jpg

IMG_16830001.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

you hit that running ye.......as that a charterristick of a impatient shot

DSC_0002-13.jpg

DSC_0001-5.jpg

IMG_16850001.jpg

IMG_16830001.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

you hit that running ye.......as that a charterristick of a impatient shot

Certainly not hit running my friend...either of them.If someone shot a deer on the run on my land he/she would get the hairy side of my hand!

M

HI Martin,

Any idea what manufacturer they were or were they home loads? - (the pictures I posted were Remington core-lokts.....)

The first one that didn't mushroom at all was a 100gr Winchester round(shop bought). The second was a homeload,and I am not privy to what bullet/load it was I'm afraid.....sorry.

M