how to stop my lurcher from this?

Hi i have a young lurcher, he's now about 8 month old and the thing is he acts so so dumb!

Sice iv had him i have been training him everyday!! walking him every day etc..

Right heres the dumb part..

In the house or in garden he will come to me when called, take him out on field let him off lead hes ok for about 5 minutes, then seeya hes off and makes me look a C**T having to go get him from someones garden or where ever he goes :( i have used a retractable lead and hes ok on that comes back when called etc, wont evan come back for his treats.

Also i have been out EVERY night lamping up rabbits, but hes not interested in the lamp or the rabbits but when i go out with mates and there dogs he still not interested, but if he see's them run onto a rabbit and get it he will play with the dead rabbit for ages, evan drops hold when told OFF.

its gettin to the point he's starting to disshearting me, i feel all my time and effort are going in and streight out other side.

what am i doing wrong or what is he doing wrong?

any help would be very usefull, as if all else fails i wil be re-homing him to an experianced lurcher owner :(

atb paul

Take up another hobby mate ! And if/when you re-home him, will you get another dog ? I fear it's you, not the dog, that's at fault. How old is it REALY, not "about 8 month" ? I think you may have started it to young, so you can be out with your mates, but the dog is still a pup, without the absolute basics of training ! Give the pup the rest of the year learning the basics and try it again in September .

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 4

my bitch went through a naughty period at about 10 months, was an absolute c**t on times, felt like beating myself and her over the head..but i soon as i got her back on the lead that was it, straight home, and not let off for a week or so, then when i thought she was ok, i let her off, and she'd do the same, act a complete twat..done this for 3-4weeks, not letting her off the lead etc...she soon wised up to it, that if she didnt come back, shed eventually get back on the thing and straight home...and after she started coming back, i called her back and on the lead, continued the walk..and let her off and called her back numerous times...so she thought by just going on the lead it isnt the end of the world, il be let off in abit..worked a treat! but before the 10month mark..she was coming back fine lol dogs are hard to suss, but when eventually sussed, their f****d lol atb mate!

p.s my dogs the opposite of yours, dont give to fucks about dead rabbits or anything, but she is well up for it when there alive..she doesnt like stuffed fur either really ..

• Like 1

Take up another hobby mate ! And if/when you re-home him, will you get another dog ? I fear it's you, not the dog, that's at fault. How old is it REALY, not "about 8 month" ? I think you may have started it to young, so you can be out with your mates, but the dog is still a pup, without the absolute basics of training ! Give the pup the rest of the year learning the basics and try it again in September .

Cheers.

im not going to take up anoughter hobby bud as i love all ways and means of hunting and have done since i was 6, i dont think it could be me at all how could it be im doing everything by the book, i dont know how old exactly as i got him off my mate that took him off some pikies that abused and beet him he could be 7month or 12 month for all i know i keep meaning to go get him checked off vet.

im not by any means rushing him into anything as im keeping him on lead when out and he's not evan pulling when or if he see's a rabbit, he knows alot of training, retreving, drop, sit, stay, etc.. etc..

just a couple things he's been a twat at :( but like i say im up for any ways and means of getting through this as i really want to give him the best in life and hopefully we can both have fun togeather :)

atb paul

Edited by madmacca

let him off, plays up drag the f****r on the lead, straight home..no fussing when u get in f**k all, ignore the dog. next day take it again, if it play up do the same, it should get the gest of things mate...only thing i can say really mate..give it a whirl!

be prepared for a long couple of weeks lol

best bet try a small field too, confined space, wont be too bad then

Edited by robwelsh
  • Like 1

Have you tried takng him where there are NO rabbits? That way there are no distractions. A big sandy beach for instance (not in the dunes, down by the sea). Give him his head - he is rebelling at not being allowed to grow up. Taking him hunting at 12 months or under is asking for trouble. That is like taking a 10 year old boy and putting him on the rugger pitch with the local mens team and expecting him to score a try. MUCH too young for hunting, especially with other dogs.I

Have never been one to go out with mates. I hunt alone, just me and the dog. I have a 10 week old puppy, that hasn't been out of the garden other than to go to the vet for its jabs and chip. Now He is ready for the big, wide world. I shall introduce him a little at a time - but he won't be on a lead. He will be walked free, he comes when he is called (at the moment) but that will change when he finds something interesting - I will let him go. Shouting at him and running after him will do no good. Let him go and find out about whatever it is - no, not roads and traffic, in the woods and fields I am on about. He will tire, all dogs do - THAT is the time to call him back an ddo so while walking AWAY from him. Make him come to you and when he comes back make a big fuss of him IGNORE THE PROBLEM. He has already forgotten what he did wrong and if you chastise him when he comes to you - he will get it in his head that coming to you only results in getting a telling off. Whatever you after him to do, ENCOURAGE him down that route. Praise when he does something good - if he retrieves a stinky nappy covered in baby sh*t, PRAISE HIM, he has done exactly what you want him to do - he brought you something. The fact that what he brought was the wrong thing doesn't matter, that will come later.

Give him a bit more freedom away from other dogs - just you and him and open space. Let him go. He will come back and he will find going out more fun. Give a dog freedom when you can, they will take the under control bit better. Roads and traffic, of course I will use a lead.

• Like 2

like the lads are saying mate little and often and make it fun for the pup but get that bond between you if its not interested in treats find what it is intrested in, be it grabbing hold of a tug rope for a game of pull we you or even if you have a play fight on floof when your out that is what the dog wants to be stimulated and interested not bored so if you can do that the dog will learn you can provide this an this is were the bond starts to forge and it can only improve. and no body likes being schooled 7 day a week leave weekend out but just hone up the things you have learnt during the week but in a fun play game for you both. atb we it bud

Hi i have a young lurcher, he's now about 8 month old and the thing is he acts so so dumb!

Sice iv had him i have been training him everyday!! walking him every day etc..

Right heres the dumb part..

In the house or in garden he will come to me when called, take him out on field let him off lead hes ok for about 5 minutes, then seeya hes off and makes me look a C**T having to go get him from someones garden or where ever he goes :( i have used a retractable lead and hes ok on that comes back when called etc, wont evan come back for his treats.

Also i have been out EVERY night lamping up rabbits, but hes not interested in the lamp or the rabbits but when i go out with mates and there dogs he still not interested, but if he see's them run onto a rabbit and get it he will play with the dead rabbit for ages, evan drops hold when told OFF.

its gettin to the point he's starting to disshearting me, i feel all my time and effort are going in and streight out other side.

what am i doing wrong or what is he doing wrong?

any help would be very usefull, as if all else fails i wil be re-homing him to an experianced lurcher owner :(

atb paul

he's young yet, doesn't sound very mature,but it will come, in the mean time forget all the training with him your boring the tits off him,

the dog will always come in the house, folk think the mutt is trained because of this but why wouldn't he most times there's something in it for him plus no distractions like dogs to play with or interesting smells,

if he not interested in treats some other stimulation is needed that involves interaction between you, the training your using is not attracting his energy to you, as a general rule the more you attract his energy and satisfy his doggy drive to bite play and wrestle and tug the more interested the mutt will be in you and the more attuned he will become to your wishes and will begin to act accordingly,

neither of you are doing anything wrong, he is going off looking for ways of using his energy and you are not sure of how to channel his energy ,

keep him on the retractable lead, and use an item that stimulates him, a ball, a tug item, tug item is better because it lets you be up close and personal when hes in drive, when you have him hooked on the item, before this, dont let him have other stimulation for a few days and it will begin to look very inviting to him if not interested at the start,

play tug and let the mutt win after a few seconds , it will make him feel really good to be around you and will bring it back to play again, which is the very starting point because when the mutt does this he is begining to see you as a play mate and a good way of using energy,

only when hes hooked and his eyes light up and tail wags when you produce it, thats when you start training because now you have created a desire in him and a need for him to listen to instruction for his own good, before this he listened because there was nothing better to do, now he will listen because hes addicted and needs his fix

its also the reason sports dogs the world over will run round a field like gobshites jumping over shit and through stuff its because the owner has created a desire in the dog for something and it reaches to the very center of the dog its heart or its drive in other words

get him intune with you, or things will just go from bad to worse, and before you really lose your cool with him, real discipline comes from within and needs to be cultivated not demanded from the dog

best of luck, pm if needed, if he ends up in a shelter, he wont feel grass under his feet ever again bud,

• Like 3

ffs dont give up! if it was that easy then everyone would be doing it! - i was having similar problems with my pup about a month or so ago, he had ideas above his station and liked to do his own thing i followed the very similar advice to the above and he's coming on a treat. as i said dont give up, especially if u enjoy it!

sounds to me your expecting more from the dog before his time,dont rush him,he is still a pup,so allow him to be a pup,play ball with him,tug of war,rough an tumble on the floor with him,its all part of bonding with your dog,and you can make the training more exciting ......he will rebel if its all work an no play