Need advice on using dogs to 'mark' holes for ferreting

my little dog marks in different ways, a strong mark with a few rabbits in is obvious with strong marking at different holes but normally she just waits by the set looking at the holes. She tippy toes around the set this gets on my sons nerves he prefers his big dog to wait at his side but as i keep telling him a ferreting dog needs to figure out a lot of the hows and wherefores of the sport for themselves and she often hits rabbits just as they bolt she also has a healthy number of rabbits under her belt from pulling them from holes as they run about the set. She is a useful little dog

But as mentioned on here all dogs can and do mark and ive even seen our cat sat outside a rabbit hole waiting for young ones and im sure a lot of lads will have noticed their working ferrets showing no interest when put down at the mouth of a hole if a bury has nowt in it. Certainly my second season hob seems to know

• Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good posts on here lads, A couple of things I've noticed in marking, is dogs mark in different ways, I've seen terriers mark very obviously ( my jack russel is very obvious when she marks) and o

Everyone to their own methods, ive had some good marking dogs over the years, never needed to stick dead rabbits or skins down holes, the only thing i put down a hole is a Fert. i take my pups out a

I use a Staffordshire bull he has never let me down always rabbits at home plus he will also Mark foxs Edited too say will try too get a pic up

Posted Images

I for one have never used dogs for ferreting. But i go ferreting with a Traveller on occassions and he uses dogs....not on my permission but when he goes by himself. Is there a way to train a dog for marking or are most of your guys/gals dogs doing it naturally? Interesting topic and may consider it for myself.

I for one have never used dogs for ferreting. But i go ferreting with a Traveller on occassions and he uses dogs....not on my permission but when he goes by himself. Is there a way to train a dog for marking or are most of your guys/gals dogs doing it naturally? Interesting topic and may consider it for myself.
not training as such but when the pups first learning if you see a bunny enter a warren then the dog shows interest of some kind then give it lots of praise Edited by KittleRox
not training as such but when the pups first learning if you see a bunny enter a warren then the dog shows interest of some kind then give it lots of praise

Cheers kittleRox wouldnt be wanting a big dog would i get away with a jack russel for this........better to talk the misssusaround with a small dog than a lurcher :whistling:

Thats a whole lota replies in a short space of time.

Im glad its true, sounds like great fun because I like ferreting but theres nothing worse then netting a load of holes and getting nothing.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a book or website that says more? Would love to give this a go

Cheers

not training as such but when the pups first learning if you see a bunny enter a warren then the dog shows interest of some kind then give it lots of praise

Cheers kittleRox wouldnt be wanting a big dog would i get away with a jack russel for this........better to talk the misssusaround with a small dog than a lurcher :whistling:

a jack russel wouldn,t be my choice, too hard on the bunnys probably and a bit headstrong, if it has to be a wee dog a bebby/whippet would suit better, this type has a good coat and has the added bonus of being quick off the mark to catch any fleeing bunnys from holes you,ve missed etc, I,m sure you could persuade the wife,atb

Thats a whole lota replies in a short space of time.

Im glad its true, sounds like great fun because I like ferreting but theres nothing worse then netting a load of holes and getting nothing.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a book or website that says more? Would love to give this a go

Cheers

not sure mate as too which book gives details on dogs marking etc, maybe the other lads will have an idea :thumbs:

You just take your pup out with the Ferts i start mine about 6 months, they soon get the idea, always lots of praise when they mark and the rabbits at home.

Whatever you do dont praise if the pup just puts his head down, and you dont know nothing is there,, unless you really have a good idea, he is not telling lies, as this can lead to false marking.

Edited by Country Joe

Can't think of a book that gives more info. I could write a lot more maybe, but i think it would bore people! It's a must here, you couldnt ferret without a dog.

I rarely do it but i'm going to have to disagree with KR - i would never give a dog too much or any encouragement for marking holes, as this really can lead to false marks. Also i like having a tyke (usually russel bred) in the team, it makes marking in tight / thick hedges easier, and covering holes in the same kind of hedges, much less of a headache. Also last time ferreting the russel caught a bolter inside the hedge, that came out of an unetted hole. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Can't think of a book that gives more info. I could write a lot more maybe, but i think it would bore people! It's a must here, you couldnt ferret without a dog.

I rarely do it but i'm going to have to disagree with KR - i would never give a dog too much or any encouragement for marking holes, as this really can lead to false marks. Also i like having a tyke (usually russel bred) in the team, it makes marking in tight / thick hedges easier, and covering holes in the same kind of hedges, much less of a headache. Also last time ferreting the russel caught a bolter inside the hedge, that came out of an unetted hole. :thumbs:

how dare you lol I did make the point I would only give praise if I had actualy seen a bunny enter the warren/hole, also I agree a wee terrier type would be handy as part of a team but Trev was talking about twisting the wifes arm to get what would be his first dog for ferreting hence i recommended a beddy type which would be more suitable than a russel, I,m no arguing with you anyway, I noticed in you,re other thread you,re much bigger than me :cray::D

• Like 1