quick hal hr

Wind was up so i decided t take dog for a quick shine, and im pleased with the results :) bagged 4 out of 6 runs. All good long runs 2 managed to make it through the fence but he gave them a hard time ;) his second run was a cracker, rabbit was sat in hedge back he ran it up n down the fence a couple of times then he turned it and went off into middle of a 16acre field he got his pace up and got his kill.

Thankfully he seems to of stopped his bad habbit of backing off when the rabbit gets close to the hedge and nailed 1 just before it disapered through the hedge. But his retrieving was off the mark and killed the first then brought it back :( with the others once he'd caught them he'd put it down grab it by the ribcage then after a few moments he'd bring it back but circle us for ages so i cleary need to work on this, its never been a problem before but i was hoping someone could give me some tips he's only a young dog but i want to stop this before it becomes a common thing!

thanks Nat

Hows the dog bred,?? I have noticed my dog is becoming very possesive of the bag,in the past when training gun dogs, I would give the dog back every thing he brought to me with praise,and made a game out of the transaction, my little lurcher loves to give me sticks and even shot crows and things, but rabbits he holds onto a bit and I dont know if thats a maturity thing,

• Like 1

Sounds like a good night out and the pups coming on well!!

Just sounds like a puppy attitude? What's the rush with you carrying the rabbit? If he wants to carry it then let him!!

It is HIS prize, He caught it not you....

He just needs to learn that by handing it over to you he can swap it for a better prize, be it praise, treat, whatever.

Don't forget, although most dogs like a ruffled ear and a 'good dog' doesn't mean it's a noteworthy prize to them (they can get that any time they lean against your leg or nudge their head under your hand)

All dogs are different in what they deem a worthy prize, just find out what your dogs is.... I'd suggest small bits of cooked sausage, Yankee Hotdog or cheese?

Once the dogs regularly doing as you want then you can drop the food treats as you've already formed the routine action in the dog.

I think Tess is one of the few (non Spaniel) dogs I've seen that actually seeks praise as much as a food treat?

Best thing is to just let him carry it for a bit. Walk off calling him to heel but don't try to take his prize from him, once he's carried it for a bit and the 'new toy' has lost some of it's worth then swap it for his treat.

As for the trying to claim his toy back once you've got it... that's bad behaviour or bad manners which ever way you look at it, that requires disciplining. Whether a sharp word, raised voice or a tap on the head as he jumps up, only you know what your dog considers as a 'light' telling off. He's not stock worrying so you don't need to 'rag' him, just let him know you don't like his actions and to stop them now.

Hope it helps you a bit. All the best with the dog,

He's a beddiexwhippet back to a beddiexwhippet he thinks because he's caught them there his, [bANNED TEXT] walking back to the car he's trying to get them too. I hope he will grow out of it

somtimes one off my dogs trys to get them out of my hand when walking back to motor,,,,all i do is give it one to carry back to motor, saves me carrying one off them ,,lol my biggest problem with my young dog is when she gets one ,,,she,ll retrive ,,,but then not lev my side , and not try for another ,,,for a good few minutes

Took him out again tonight knowing I won't be out for a few nights and it was again a succesful night. 3 rabbits out of 5 runs again all decent runs and his retrieving was that bit better, he brought them straight back to me but was still abit of a game to get it off him so I necked it and gave it back to him to carry. He carried the first 1 for a while but the novelty had worn off by his 3rd :) it's nights like these I wonder why I didn't get a beddie whippet earlier!

Atb for the new year