Does a terrier really need to come from the best breeding? (Please read, it's a good topic!)

got a bitch which will be 12 years ole on 14;2;2012 shes got no diggig blood no fancy names and as a pup till about 2years she was a brushin dog and not the best i can tell ya. then one day i went out and she self enter and bolted a fox and didnt look back. not a hard core diggin dog BUT A DOG WHICH WHEN OUT WOULD FINE MORE FOXES THEN A PACK OF HOUNDS SO TO SPEAK she could be called out after a bit of swearin and the ole girl would stop bayin thinkin she fooled me and i get of her case. the most she found to ground is 5 in a mornin take this bitch any were and she fine ya sport

LMAO.... AYE ITS ALRIGHT FINDING THEM BUDDY....BUT ITS BUSTING IN THE SOIL ROUND THEM THATS WHAT COUNTS :yes: .... WELL TO ME ANYWAY AS I SAY ........ STANDARDS atb :thumbs:

PLUS HOW DO YOU KNOW SHE WASNT JUST HAPPY BARKING TO KEEP DADDY HAPPY.... its just i didnt read the bit in the post where she either bolted or dug the foxes so how you know what it was?? or did you donn the miners helmet and go take a wee look yourself just to make sure like ?... :hmm:

Good point !

Keeping daddy happy

Pmsl cracker

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure you can get a dog from a pound and it could graft, I have, and you could get sommat from unknown none working breeding and that could be dug to also BUT if you went looking at either of those pla

hes a game little fecker ! go on tommy boy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Who's to say the terrier from the pound hasn't got the best blood in it already ?, the best bitch i've personaly ever seen work came from a dogs home. It's not something i'de take the chance of doing,

worker to worker are hard enough to get a good % from, so cant see how "any dog will work" comes into it....

sure it was plummer that spouted this

cavalier king charles spaniels rattin and goin to ground hunt badgers was his claims :laugh: .... kinda put me off the man!! but not as much as the dick that came on ebay and claimed he had the strain of plummer king charlies and how much digging he got done with them... i never replied!!!!

at the end of the day its down to breeding and then the quality of ownership after that!!

Yeah, if you're fifteen my advice is don't listen to the guys on here. It's a load of horse shite. I gave away, culled or didn't breed the best dogs I was ever gonna find because I expected the wonder dogs people described - that never actually existed. Learn from experience. When you see a better dog than yours make that your next goal. That is a real goal an attainable one. Hunt with more people, you'll keep seeing better and better dogs. Raise your expectations for yourself and your dogs each wrung of the ladder of performance you witness. I never go hunting with a better dogman than myself and think "His dogs were great but it is chance he got the special dog" I change my ways and often cull some dogs.

• Like 2

I dont see the big deal about getting dogs with unbelievable breeding in them! I think that no matter where the terrier comes from, if you bring it out with you hunting every day that you can get out then it should be very good! I have a border terrier that is only 10 months old and has already dug out two foxes!! And as you probably know it is sposed to take border terriers nearly 2 years maybe even 3 years before they start going to ground! I also have a jack russel terrier bitch that came from pure harmless parents that wouldnt kill a mouse and she is nearly a year and a half and has dug out plenty of foxes with her! She is a very very good terrier and is jst as good as any other working terrier, probably better than a lot of them! This just proves that you do not need a terrier to come from the best terriers in the country as long as you put a lot of time into them!! :D:yes:

come back on here again when you can repeat that again with two other dogs the same age, and from non working breeding.

Just out of interest, has anybody ever gone to a kennel and had a look to see if there was anything that looked like it had seen abit? I genuinely have no idea what you would find in such places. Do the powers that be even rehome marked up terriers?

i scan through the websites for the local pound once in a while but last time i was interested in a pound dog they wanted 100 quid and its not like you get a trial with the dog.

do you not work in a dog pound gem :yes:

Just out of interest, has anybody ever gone to a kennel and had a look to see if there was anything that looked like it had seen abit? I genuinely have no idea what you would find in such places. Do the powers that be even rehome marked up terriers?

i scan through the websites for the local pound once in a while but last time i was interested in a pound dog they wanted 100 quid and its not like you get a trial with the dog.

do you not work in a dog pound gem :yes:

no? i work p/t at a stables

Bumped into a guy few years back when out having a mooch with my fells and my mates plummer x-had with him a female goshawk-brittany spaniel-a little westhighland terrier-stopped and had a chat -put our dogs on the couples-and had a smoke-the little westie was bushing a hedgerow and marked a little 3 hole rabbit warren-we sat there and watched as the westy went to ground-and started to bay-rolling about pissing ourselves-the guy said watch now-a f****n big red charlie shot out of the ground and flew across the field-followed by said westy-that is the truth-solong as i have a hole in my arse-believe or not-may of been a one off but the guy said it was not the first time-i will be sticking to my fells- ;) has anyone else ever seen anything as strange as that?i promise this is not a wind up.merry xmas lads atb bob

troble is if no one had the good blode then all the working dog breeds would go and you would only be left with jadie shit that only wants to worke when he fiels like it .

thats no good to man nor beast who wants a dog that finds and then gives up after 5 minets

the reason the breeding matters if for the corage and true grit to stay till the job is done.

im not saying un less its bred right it woant worke but on a hole and from my exsperiance thats ho it workes

no afens to any one i aint slagging off ANYONES dogs like just my oppinion

ive seen a few very good working. /mongrel/ terriers. most i have to say have been brought on by keen young lads. one or two would have put many a well bred worker to shame. and was capable of embarassing. some of the smug feckers that think they have top of the range workers. to me the only problem is when you come to replicate your little wonderdog. its nigh on impossible. a good dog is where you find it. but if you want to consistently keep and work terriers then you need to get good well bred stock. and maybe one day i will do this :laugh: as the old saying goes 90% breeding. 10% feeding. :thumbs:

What he said lol :thumbs:

:thumbs: :thumbs: clachan

I dont see the big deal about getting dogs with unbelievable breeding in them! I think that no matter where the terrier comes from, if you bring it out with you hunting every day that you can get out then it should be very good! I have a border terrier that is only 10 months old and has already dug out two foxes!! And as you probably know it is sposed to take border terriers nearly 2 years maybe even 3 years before they start going to ground! I also have a jack russel terrier bitch that came from pure harmless parents that wouldnt kill a mouse and she is nearly a year and a half and has dug out plenty of foxes with her! She is a very very good terrier and is jst as good as any other working terrier, probably better than a lot of them! This just proves that you do not need a terrier to come from the best terriers in the country as long as you put a lot of time into them!! :D:yes:

come back on here again when you can repeat that again with two other dogs the same age, and from non working breeding.

Ahm.. Ok??

You can't polish a turd no matter how many hours you put in, and a pup from proven parents and lines will have a greater chance of working than 30 generations of show/pet, its a no brainer surely?

And can you remove that avatar, i know whose dog that is and you have no right using it as your profile picture...

Do you want a broken nose.?

You can't polish a turd no matter how many hours you put in, and a pup from proven parents and lines will have a greater chance of working than 30 generations of show/pet, its a no brainer surely?

And can you remove that avatar, i know whose dog that is and you have no right using it as your profile picture...

Do you want a broken nose.?

feckin cracked me up that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: