Running a bitch in season...

Hi,

I've read several bits of advice about not running a lurcher when in season and was wondering what the general thought was on how long they should be rested up when in season? Or... do many people just push on through and keep working the bitch.

Regards.

Hi,

I've read several bits of advice about not running a lurcher when in season and was wondering what the general thought was on how long they should be rested up when in season? Or... do many people just push on through and keep working the bitch.

Regards.

a lot of what you hear is from the greyhoung lads were it does make a big difference, but for us general moochers if the bitch wants to still work then why not just be mindfull she wont be at her best for around 28 days

Its called a sesonal rest for a Reason, natures way.

She will have Milk on her 9 weeks into the Break.

12 weeks in start running her again imo

16 weeks post , she will be back to somewhere near right.

so every 6 months you lay your dog up for 3 to 4 months :icon_eek:

Some are worse than others, but they all lose muscle tone to some degree, no matter how fit they were before their season. More importantly they lay down fat around the internal organs: it is nature's way of preparing for a litter, so extra fat, which can be converted into energy and milk, is very necessary.

If you're not working a bitch really hard: full night on the lamp, long daytime runs, you may not notice that much of a fall off in her performance, but most people do notice that even a lightly worked bitch will seem to have less power in her muscles, maybe miss a few more catches than she should, seem a bit less inclined to go the extra yard.

Mind you, straight after their season they are usually on fire, running really well, and its only once they get into the 3 part of the 'pregnancy' (from 6-9 weeks post season) that they seem to struggle. The main problem is that if you keep working them hard at this time they may be more prone to damaging muscles etc, and if really pushed and the bitch is a willing sort, then damage to heart and diaphragm.

The fitter you can keep a bitch the better, and at least 6 miles a day beside a bike will help to keep the muscles relatively toned up. Super fit, lightly built bitches which are kept very lean, generally suffer less from this than heavier, or more weighty bitches.

• Like 2

How many bitches are 3-4 month bitches in all honesty ?

Most are 12 or 9 months a small percent 6 month.

If they are 6 months or less its a tough call, although i dont think its ideal i would probably try and get some Laurabolin from Eire and Suppress a bitch if her season is 6 months or less.

ok mate :laugh: :laugh: carry on :laugh:

If they are 6 months or less its a tough call, although i dont think its ideal i would probably try and get some Laurabolin from Eire and Suppress a bitch if her season is 6 months or less.

Paulas think there on about Working there dog not just a walk around the block ........... :icon_redface::whistling:

Never had a problem with working mine,In my opinion if you have a fit dog,Then you stop and leave it in a kennel for 3 months of course its going to get fat and start getting milk.Mine would go into shock.Load of pish unless its a greyhound and a 100th of a second counts,Do the dog a favour and get it out hunting seasons short enough,christmas here now blink season will be over.

Paulas think there on about Working there dog not just a walk around the block ........... :icon_redface::whistling:

:laugh: