whippet and foxes

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes some of them can and do , but it wouldnt be my choice of weapon. and contrary to popular belief you dont need a bull x.

all you need is a whippet built like this and no reverse gear

Summat tells me you are a youngster, not that its out to do with me, but here is my advice to you for what its worth, ive been running working whippets for a good few years now, and have always made i

Posted Images

There is a lot of chat on here. . . some of it makes sense, and some is just retarded.

At the end of the day, if you plan to tackle foxes regular, then a whippet is not the dog for the job.

There is a reason that the 'majority' of fox dogs have terrier blood in them, especially bull, and wheaten. They take punishment better, and have a natural instinct for tackling things that fight back.

Now at the same time, it's daft as feck to say that no whippet can take a fox, or even do it multiple times. In comparisson to an average fox, there are some big whippets out there, and as said, they have some impressive grit and drive. Obviously however, they do suffer somewhat from the size of their jaw.

The thing is, no one has told them this!

I thing Redawn put it best. They are great catch dogs, but to expect one to have to finish the dog every time is maybe a bit far. However, i would be disappointed in a whippet who, when a fox got up in front daytime, didn't get stuck in to the best of it's ability.

Mine goes wild for the scent of them :thumbs:

well said

ive heard mention of big whippets a few times. now not being smart but if its a propper whippet then its small. big whippets is what you call a contradiction in terms. the majority of whippets arnt up to the job. they arnt meant to be. they are however very hard to beat at the role they where bred for. pot filling and racing :D

seen em take foxs but...

why?

use a heavyer dog that gets the job done quicker, its not a slogging match, if that floats your boat then you need another pasttime

You try telling the dog not to hunt them when your out? :blink:

• Like 2