hi guys went for a look local tnite full moon ino cut to the chase 1st run and one red 1 in the bag quite a hard run 2nd run and 2nd kil and that was a rabbit then i had two very hard courses and missed them bouth and on the way back 2 the car we had 1 more red 1 was well happy for local any way checked my bich over on the last 1 and she took a nice tear to the ear i could here her in the distance but there u go shes had worse any way as i was on me way bk to the car she started twiching so i had a look and it seemed to me that her ear was giving her jip so left it at that then all of a sudden she pulled of the lead and was fitting bad in the lane i picked her up and run back to the car her pupils were massive and was verry cold so i wraped her up in my arms where she was warm and nw she have stopped. jus fed her some warm cereal wit sugar and ive kept her in for the night she fcin stinks lol but ill see hw she is and decide about the vet in the morning .She is a tough lil bich to only 20tts bullxwhippet and have taken bigger hammerings than this. can i ask have any of you had this and if so what is it thanks no stupid smart remarks thanks atb hob.

Get her fed some decent snap mate and an electrolyte drink. Rest her for a couple days, garden for a shit only type rest. See how she is in a couple of days. Get the ear cleaned up too. Then start off right at the bottom of the fitness ladder, just an hours walk at her own pace, then an hour of ferreting next week etc.

Low glucose may well be responsible, multiple hard sprints may have depleted the stores and as the brain pretty much depends on glucose to function a short fall will have neurological symptoms that commonly include fits. 1st thing a doc will do on evaluating a person fitting will be to get a blood glucose. Id look to get the dog as fit as poss, as people have already suggested, to maximise its ability to cope, feed carbs as part of the normal diet, give a boost prior to going out and carry a glucose drink or energy bar when its working and give a little as the evening goes on. Give a light meal within half an hour of finishing to top up baseline stores. The other possible cause would be hyperthermia, basically overheating; again this will cause neurological symptoms. Lastly fitting or Epilepsy is a difficult area as some dogs will be born and fit and die straight away, others will be almost impossible to make fit, most will be somewhere in-between. An epileptic is someone or a dog that is near the line so mild stimulation will push it over into a fit and perhaps your dog though not strictly epileptic is perhaps a little nearer the line than most so in extreme circumstance will cross over and have a fit.

Hopefully it wont happen again but as youre seeing the vet they are the best to sort out longer term problems.

Ps unless it lost a lot of blood dehydration is unlikely as is low salt (electrolytes).

Edited by sandymere

could be lack of oxygen seen this happen with a yths dog (bull x) off here started fitting after after a hard nite out

or blood sugar let a vet take a blood test, a mates whippet x keeps having fits none worker tho on tablets costs him 35 a mth