nightwork

Just got some given some work working the night shift looking for some tips as iv never worked nights before an I tried to stay up all night an sleep in the day to get adjusted to it before I start the work but I always end up waking up like every hour an find it really hard to get back asleep so I think I got like 3 hours sleep so I'm looking for some tips off any one that's worked nights on how they changed there sleeping pattern

only two words of advice from me.."ear plugs"
  • Like 2

I do 4 on 4 off, as runem said,earplugs,hear fook all and blackout curtains,

said earlier try not to drink anything a couple of hours before you go home because guaranteed you'll end up wanting to piss,and if you do go keep your eyes closed

5am is my killer hour,manage to pinch ten minutes here and there(power nap) over the night as it's just me and an other fella.

messes your body clock right up,and if you've got an understanding missus like mine,you'll get no sympathy.

You cant simple, your body will always be fighting it, only thing that happens is you get used to ignoreing it

- its easier if you already suffer with insomnia.

Ive worked just nights for the last 4 -5 years, normal night hours were 8 - 8,

i normaly would get home from work and chill for a bit, as you do find when you walk through the door

you get another burst of energy then go to bed about half 10 ish and get back up about half 6

i prefare working nights - as i do suffer with insomnia, at the mo i work 7 nights a week at home on call,

10-8, am allowed to sleep - then im out again from around 3.15pm till sometimes 10pm most days.

Your first few weeks will be hard, but once you get in to a routine then it will start to be a little easier.

• Like 1

i work permanent nights, this last 8 years.

i do nothing special, on the day that i start back, i get up at 9 or 10 am, stay up all day, go to work at 7pm, do my 12 hr shift, go home clean funked out, but stay up until 10 am. and have no probs sleeping until alarm clock goes off. and thats me set for the week.

I do a few different shifts ending in 2 night shifts finishing now! So quick bite and a beer and get some shut eye. The only downside for me is the way the shift pattern is I loose 2 weekends a month, but there again I get 2 long weekends a month. Do a lot more hunting in the week as a result. and get 4 days off together. Been self employed for a long while, so getting a salary without all the other agro is a dream (for now), plus get enough time off to carry on my downsized business.

The days I am working nights, I try not to plan to much in, so if I fancy a siesta I can get a few hours in before my shift, if you are struggling to sleep, then have a big munch out and shut the curtains,.. feet up and lights out ;) youll soon get the hang of it!

I Worked Six 12hr Night shifts for 6yrs I used to get home At7am.A cup of Coffee then out with the Dogs for a Couple of Hours.Then out to feed the Poultry.Finally getting to Bed about 10am.After a While i could get by with 5-6hrs Kip.

Some can get by on 5 or 6 hours kip i think alot depends on if the job is physically demanding or not.

I Worked Six 12hr Night shifts for 6yrs I used to get home At7am.A cup of Coffee then out with the Dogs for a Couple of Hours.Then out to feed the Poultry.Finally getting to Bed about 10am.After a While i could get by with 5-6hrs Kip.

Some can get by on 5 or 6 hours kip i think alot depends on if the job is physically demanding or not.

I Get what your saying mate,and yes my job was physically demanding.