legal or not ?

Everything MUST be in a tunnel for fenn and bodygrips within the UK.. Its as simple as that.

Also in the UK the use of mechanical snares, spring, deadfall, whatever, is illegal.So any examples on the web are for demonstration only..

The thing is that most would be happy to put a Fenn trap a few inches inside a rabbit hole,but many would not feel so happy to use a cubbie with the same small amount of overhang.I suppose in the real world if we could set traps and label each one clearly to keep the dog walking gang informed we would be doing a better job,but with the risk of theft and damage to traps few would do so.Perhaps its time for the big organisations to inform the general public about trapping and also about subjects such as the correct use of poison bait etc,to me they seem to spent too much time on their members when it is public awareness we need into the work we all do.

• Like 1

Everything MUST be in a tunnel for fenn and bodygrips within the UK.. Its as simple as that.

Also in the UK the use of mechanical snares, spring, deadfall, whatever, is illegal.So any examples on the web are for demonstration only..

collarum snare?

• Like 1

is that law ian or just your interpretation of the law? because nothing is very clear

so also does that mean spring snares for rats are illegal?

when you consider the legality of the collarum,one can argue that the ram power snare,, fitted with a lock will also fall into the use of legitimate snares,, mechanical maybe but so is the collarum.... as moley said the law so unclear.

is that law ian or just your interpretation of the law? because nothing is very clear

so also does that mean spring snares for rats are illegal?

Tunnels must be used over here, Defra states it must be fit for purpose so all the onus is on the user of the trap, if its not fit for purpose..

You must make it as safe as possible within reasonable practice, so non tragets do not get injured or killed..

Any spring snare is illegal as far as I know moley. As you know they hang an animal, or suspend it,..

and does the illegal lock on the illegal spring snare ? ,ie the collarum , become legal ?!!!.

As far as I know the collarum as a unit and how it operates has been passed to be used within the UK..the collarum fires a snare around a foxes kneck, and holds it, the lock is relaxing..

does that make spring snares for rats illegal or does it not matter cos a rat is considered as small ground vermin ?

just asking as there seems to be different ideas as to the laws of the land

As far as I know spring snaring of any animal is illegal.

As far as I know spring snaring of any animal is illegal.

The Aldrich spring snare is on the Approved Traps list and is perfectly legal to use (it is just the nomenclature of the target animals for them that is open to conjecture!)

The definition of spring trap is that of a trap that relies on a spring to activate the trap. Any trap used in GB with the exception of rats, mice and mole traps is subject to the Humane Traps Approval process first used in 1954 prior to the banning of the gin trap in 1958. Spring activated cage traps for birds have also been subject to legal action on two different occasions and subsequent banning in the past to my knowledge, and I am surprised that the Larsen trap has managed to avoid the same legal interest.

The law, the approval orders and the ambiguous interpretations need to be re-written. the original reason and meanings have been lost over time, and without sight of the whole series of orders then it is a minefield of what is and what isn't legal to use, or how.

OTC