% Bull X

The only way you can be sure about the exact % of bull in your dog , is by having a 1/2 cross . Genes arn,t passed down in precise portions , people may argue about the merits of 3/4 x , 3/8 x or even 7/8 x . but the truth is these are only approximations .

• Like 1

ok lets put it another way....you have the choice of 2 young untried dogs......one is a straight 50/50 cross but is a physically more racey specimen......and the other is naturally a 3/8 cross.....and you knew nothing to the background of either......so purely a physical thing.....

would the 50/50 cross retain more natural strength due to the heavier % of bull even though its a racey looking dog than a 3/8 dog would have ..........if you get what im saying :blink:

good point that, funny thing is that some 3/8 bull 5/8 greys , can come up with bigger dogs some times then straight 1x bull greys . And i suppose really if you after the better tenacity in the dog , the racey 1x would be the better of the 2 dogs. And as Si says if you going to put it in a lurcher to make the differnce to the x, you got to put enough in to do that .? The only prob with 1xs is you (dont) always get a racey type dog, great when you do. But most 3/8 bull 5/8 greys are norm more a racier+ faster type dog with greyhound on both sides of the sire+dam .! My 3/8 bull 5/8 grey pup is fast, and pre ban i think could catch all quarry (bar) a hare, and that quarry was hard for any lurcher to catch day and even at night . As long as a 1x or 3/8 bull x dont come to big, and mine is 72 lb and thats not heavy , seen lots of other xs( colliexs, deerhoundxs and greyhounds bigger , they will do a good job on what quarrt you put them on :yes:

I personally go on build of the dog as the litter my mate bred was from two dam good wrkers n it was half cross to 3/4 cross and some came out as if they wer straight half or even 3/4 bull. But as i had the first few choices i took the dog that looked best to me and he has turned out a good size and racey too also there was no shit bull blood either they wer all single handed dogs as the old boy dnt like the shit stuff and only keeps his or his mates litters if he has one. They breed for personal use not money

ok lets put it another way....you have the choice of 2 young untried dogs......one is a straight 50/50 cross but is a physically more racey specimen......and the other is naturally a 3/8 cross.....and you knew nothing to the background of either......so purely a physical thing.....

would the 50/50 cross retain more natural strength due to the heavier % of bull even though its a racey looking dog than a 3/8 dog would have ..........if you get what im saying :blink:

good point that, funny thing is that some 3/8 bull 5/8 greys , can come up with bigger dogs some times then straight 1x bull greys . And i suppose really if you after the better tenacity in the dog , the racey 1x would be the better of the 2 dogs. And as Si says if you going to put it in a lurcher to make the differnce to the x, you got to put enough in to do that .? The only prob with 1xs is you (dont) always get a racey type dog, great when you do. But most 3/8 bull 5/8 greys are norm more a racier+ faster type dog with greyhound on both sides of the sire+dam .! My 3/8 bull 5/8 grey pup is fast, and pre ban i think could catch all quarry (bar) a hare, and that quarry was hard for any lurcher to catch day and even at night . As long as a 1x or 3/8 bull x dont come to big, and mine is 72 lb and thats not heavy , seen lots of other xs( colliexs, deerhoundxs and greyhounds bigger , they will do a good job on what quarrt you put them on :yes:

its the finishing with out any help you shoud look in to ............ :laugh:

any % of bull as long as its well bred and up and able for the job in hand!!! lets face it, this % lark isnt spot on, why do thay have so much diffrent sizes in litters? some have bigger heads? some are racey, some are stocky all from the same bred litter... lets face it like an early post said, 80-90% dont use a bullx for its intended use, and why add saluki?? thats like adding lemonade to a nice pint of lager...its not a kind of thing a real man would do!!! i run from 1/4 to 3/4 bulls both have the intended jobs and do them very well!

• Like 1

any % of bull as long as its well bred and up and able for the job in hand!!! lets face it, this % lark isnt spot on, why do thay have so much diffrent sizes in litters? some have bigger heads? some are racey, some are stocky all from the same bred litter...

Thats just the nature of crossing dogs mate your playing the genetic lottery......its like when folk breed littermates of a cross they think they are inbreeding when in reality that brother and sister maybe have very little actual shared genetics due to the way genes fall when crossing unrelated dogs within the same breed let alone different breeds altogether.

The original question i was asking i meant purely from a physical point of view with all else being equal regards breeding/working talent etc........from what ive seen a very racey individual of a 50/50 cross retains more inherent strength and durability than the traditional 3/8 5/8 cross of the same/similar structure.............just wondered how others had found it.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

1/2 cross all the way for me :thumbs: ive got a litter of second gen half crosses here at the moment old mayfair and reid lines nice racey pups with good heads. atb lampy

do u mean mayfeild mayfair is a pack ov fags

:laugh:

didnt notice that :icon_redface: you new what i meant though

I have seen some 1/2 crosses come like full hounds and in the same litter some look like a bull on stilts and other come just right for nearly any sort of work but the same can be said about the 3/4 and 5/8 some pups can take to one parent more than the other and sometimes you can get a throw back from past generations

any % of bull as long as its well bred and up and able for the job in hand!!! lets face it, this % lark isnt spot on, why do thay have so much diffrent sizes in litters? some have bigger heads? some are racey, some are stocky all from the same bred litter...

Thats just the nature of crossing dogs mate your playing the genetic lottery......its like when folk breed littermates of a cross they think they are inbreeding when in reality that brother and sister maybe have very little actual shared genetics due to the way genes fall when crossing unrelated dogs within the same breed let alone different breeds altogether.

The original question i was asking i meant purely from a physical point of view with all else being equal regards breeding/working talent etc........from what ive seen a very racey individual of a 50/50 cross retains more inherent strength and durability than the traditional 3/8 5/8 cross of the same/similar structure.............just wondered how others had found it.

Exactly the same.. :yes:

;)