weight and numbers

It's all to do with people thinking there dogs are better than others, looks at some of the idiots on here for example bragging there pups are on a 100 rabbits etc. How pathetic just get out there and enjoy it, after all thats what its supposed to be fun and a laugh !

at least i am out there catching the game instead of being on here slagging folk off and TALKING about working dogs.

im out for my 5th night this week lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to Whin, everybody running dogs is an 'ameuter' apart from him and his mystery group of friends, and in his eyes their dogs are not the 'real deal'. Probably because they are not trying to f

Is it nesessary to be all scientific with your dog's?   I'm sure most judge by the eye.

no way can you rate a dog on catch to slip ratio :laugh: theres abit more to it than that the dog that caught 20 from 100 could have ran on totally different terrain/conditions than the dog who d

According to Whin, everybody running dogs is an 'ameuter' apart from him and his mystery group of friends, and in his eyes their dogs are not the 'real deal'. Probably because they are not trying to feed the village, in the cold cold winter of blah blah blah, up on land so tough it would make a 'dale dog' cry . . . . .

You need some new lines mate, these ones are getting old.

P.S - Of course ratio makes a difference. A dog that catches 20 from 100 slips is not up to the form of the dog that catches 10 from 12 slips is it?

• Like 4

According to Whin, everybody running dogs is an 'ameuter' apart from him and his mystery group of friends, and in his eyes their dogs are not the 'real deal'. Probably because they are not trying to feed the village, in the cold cold winter of blah blah blah, up on land so tough it would make a 'dale dog' cry . . . . .

P.S - Of course ratio makes a difference. A dog that catches 20 from 100 slips is not up to the form of the dog that catches 10 from 12 slips is it?

no way can you rate a dog on catch to slip ratio :laugh: :laugh: theres abit more to it than that :thumbs: the dog that caught 20 from 100 could have ran on totally different terrain/conditions than the dog who did 10 from 12. and the latter could still be the better dog.

• Like 2

no way can you rate a dog on catch to slip ratio :laugh: :laugh: theres abit more to it than that :thumbs: the dog that caught 20 from 100 could have ran on totally different terrain/conditions than the dog who did 10 from 12. and the latter could still be the better dog.

I know that there is a lot more than that, but it IS a factor that needs looking at it's not 'total bollocks' as dear uncle whin would have us believe.

If you need to keep tallys and ratio's imo the fun has gone out of it for you and if you carnt tell a good dog to a bad one or average one you ain't much cop yourself. Some people just need to get on with it instead of talking the talk and start doing abit more walking.

• Like 1

so you think a dog that catches 10 out of 10 and then burns out is better than one that plods on steady all night , missing a few , but ends up with 30 or 40. its whats in the bag at the end of the night that counts like whin said , but if i was whin i would get rid of my blinkers

It's all to do with people thinking there dogs are better than others, looks at some of the idiots on here for example bragging there pups are on a 100 rabbits etc. How pathetic just get out there and enjoy it, after all thats what its supposed to be fun and a laugh !

horses, greyhounds,they all try for the best,so whats wrong with trying to get one of the best lurchers,dont you try to put the best dog possible to your bitch when you bred.having a well bred pup is only half the battle the other half is the man,talking of bragging didnt you say your greyhound had caught more rabbits in one season than most lurchers catch in 3,and she was out for 3 month with pups,thats not just bagging i would say its mixed with a bit of bull,you know what they say about glass houses

so you think a dog that catches 10 out of 10 and then burns out is better than one that plods on steady all night , missing a few , but ends up with 30 or 40. its whats in the bag at the end of the night that counts like whin said , but if i was whin i would get rid of my blinkers

No i don't think that! Did i say so?

The problem with this fecking section of the site, is it is full of folk who add (in their own mind) things to what you say and then try and argue with you about it.

All i was suggesting is that, the bag at the end of the night os not the only and best way to judge a dogs performance.

A dog that ends the night on 20 rabbits, but has missed most of what it runs, is not necessairily up to the standard of a dog that ends a night on a lower number, but has nailed the majority of what it has been slipped on.

I never mentioned any dogs 'burning out' - that was in your imagination, and i wouldnt say, missing 80% of what it runs (as per my example) counts as missing a few.

If it was just about whats in the bag at the end of the hunt, then the dog that can nail 4/7 hares in feet of snow, in small paddocks, with no law, would be superior to that which only takes 2/3 hares in fair runs. Would it not? ( i know it's an unrelated example to the above, but you get my point . . . . i hope?).

yes whin did say its whats in the bag,,,,,,,he loves to contradict himself does our whin,,, cos any other time if you talk of catching a good bag,, "its no big deal" he says,,,, he also says theres no strains of lurcher,, its long dead,,, yet here he is with kizzy and tor of datmoor, strain,,, been dead 20 year

If you need to keep tallys and ratio's imo the fun has gone out of it for you and if you carnt tell a good dog to a bad one or average one you ain't much cop yourself. Some people just need to get on with it instead of talking the talk and start doing abit more walking.

Romany ( i think) made an interesting point a while ago, he mentioned that he kept tallys of game run and game caught for himself and for all those he had been out with.

He said that often, when asked at a later date (years maybe), the dogs owners were often way way out in what they remembered their dogs catching, adding many to the bag.

And there is nothing wrong with keeping a count for your own sake. I write down the numbers of rabbits ferreted on every trip, a long with where it was etc, so that i can accuratly tell the land owner and so that i can keep track myself of what land held what etc etc etc.

• Like 1