lurchers and bushing

Guest long-tail

Guest long-tail

productive or merely a good crack?

i used to think lamping was the be all end all but done a lot of bushing this year and although for me id have to say not very productive,although you can reap the rewards at times :D you certainly not going to hit any of the big lamping numbers but it is certainly good for the crack,you can cover miles without even noticing great for keeping them fit and the chance of the odd bunny in the pocket ,what you reckon :thumbs:

Edited by long-tail

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few good bushing spots can make for a very rewarding season,whatever gets missed will be there next time,hopefully,the dogs learn more from the experience and seem to genuinely enjoy the occasion,th

There's always a few try the field when hard pushed by the pups,WM

1 is mainly beddy/greyhound/whippet thats my mate foggy who comes out with me a lot and the other is mine thats a lurcher to lurcher bred really that came off a quality coursing bitch over a collie/de

Posted Images

Mooching about with the dogs is one of my favourite things to do mate, great sport and if you have the right land, you can get plenty of runs (although most end up getting away). We do a lot of bushing/mooching, with a ferret in the pocket, and anything that is run to ground is popped out again, either into the nets or for the dogs. Cracking sport :thumbs:

Guest long-tail

Mooching about with the dogs is one of my favourite things to do mate, great sport and if you have the right land, you can get plenty of runs (although most end up getting away). We do a lot of bushing/mooching, with a ferret in the pocket, and anything that is run to ground is popped out again, either into the nets or for the dogs. Cracking sport :thumbs:

not just me then lol,but yes spot on ;)

i love a good couple of hours bushing with the dogs, and having a general mooch about, time flys......and you forget about the rat race of everyday life.......as have already been said, not always productive, and you dont fill the bag........ but keeps the dogs in shape.

all the best,

jay. :thumbs:

A few good bushing spots can make for a very rewarding season,whatever gets missed will be there next time,hopefully,the dogs learn more from the experience and seem to genuinely enjoy the occasion,the main reward is seeing the dogs working as a unit,reading the situation and reacting to it.Its sometimes irrelevant what finishes in the bag.

• Like 3

A few good bushing spots can make for a very rewarding season,whatever gets missed will be there next time,hopefully,the dogs learn more from the experience and seem to genuinely enjoy the occasion,the main reward is seeing the dogs working as a unit,reading the situation and reacting to it.Its sometimes irrelevant what finishes in the bag.

the dog i got of you morton got the rabbit to day first one bushing fore him

Guest long-tail

i think its a great way to bring on a lurcher pup getting them out there to see and feel a bit,mines only 5 month and all ready cicles the cover the terriers working,on the few times she aint in there with him i mean sure she got a bit of jack russel in her :whistling: "but then im not in "the know( blackwater :laugh:)

i dont go to areas where she might end up full tilt on the arse of a bunny running an open field as it were either,well not just yet, just bouncing from one set brambles to the other,

Edited by long-tail

The mother to that dog had an uncanny knack of being in the right place when anything bolted,ive never known a dog that could react to the terriers at work like she did.

The mother to that dog had an uncanny knack of being in the right place when anything bolted,ive never known a dog that could react to the terriers at work like she did.

mine allways goes the other end when the terrier goes in cover waiting fore them to come out he aint stuppid this dog very brainy he's back on the lamp latter see what he can pick up for me its raining so the bunnys will be sitting

not just me then lol,but yes spot on ;)

I find mate, that if it's real good land for bushing, around here, that means, lots of patchy cover, holding lots of rabbits etc, and usually really rough ground (often mountainside / top), then it's all in the rabbits favour, as they usually don't have far to travel to saftey, and the dogs have lots of obstacles, fallen trees, ditches, boulders etc to avoid.

So out of maybe 20/30 rabbits scented and hunted, with maybe 10/15 put up, rather than to groun, maybe only 3/4/5 are caught. (if a ferret is involved that may go up to 10 +)

Different with hedges, as the rabbits don't really have anywhere to go, but out in the open.

i have just moved from London to s.Yorkshire so all I'm doing with the dog's is tacking a mooch a long track's and lanes it's the best bit of sport you can get and you get to no the land for when yo go lamping and it's the best way to get any tipe of dog going