Favourite rabbiting dog / one for the pot dogs

Finally the wife has given in to me, it took some some time, but now i have the go ahead to add another dog to the team. I mainly hunt rabbits in the day time, bushing with the two terriers to the lurcher. My lurcher (collie/greyhound) is now nine. I'm going to get a another one some time in 2012.

Most of my catches are in small fields so the dog needs to be quick with good strike for the rabbits and capable of an occasional longer course. It is also very important that it works hard to find its quarry (as there not much about) with good nose.

Im open to all lurchers, but ideally below 23 or below........So any pics or suggestions/ advice will be greatly recieved.

Edited by wuyang

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I, personaly, wouldn't go for a Beddy/Whippet, to small for my liking, although others swear by them !! I'd rather go for a Beddy/Grey or a Beddy/Whippet X Grey, just to put a bit of size in them ! Be

Good !! I said "usualy"; and said many would disagree. I have a 29" bitch that takes rabbits in the lamp, but I wouldn't advise the lad to get a Deer/Grey for what he wants...I only gave an opinion. A

a pup out of your nine year old

i have seen some very good dogs work over the years in the manner which you describe you are after. some very good beddy/whippets, some very good beddy/whippet greyhounds.also collie crosses. never seen a whippet work so cant comment on these.my personal favourites are collie crosses but for nose work and hunting up. some of the beddy crosses would be hard to match on rabbits.

I, personaly, wouldn't go for a Beddy/Whippet, to small for my liking, although others swear by them !! I'd rather go for a Beddy/Grey or a Beddy/Whippet X Grey, just to put a bit of size in them ! Beddy/Grey 1st X's usualy go around 23-/24", but of course, many will come on here and disagree !! There's other X's that may suite you, Collie X, Whippet/grey, etc... they're all good and will do what you want; the choice is yours !!

Cheers.

• Like 1

I, personaly, wouldn't go for a Beddy/Whippet, to small for my liking, although others swear by them !! I'd rather go for a Beddy/Grey or a Beddy/Whippet X Grey, just to put a bit of size in them ! Beddy/Grey 1st X's usualy go around 23-/24", but of course, many will come on here and disagree !! There's other X's that may suite you, Collie X, Whippet/grey, etc... they're all good and will do what you want; the choice is yours !!

Cheers.

my bedy whippet gh are 24 and half inch and 24" so ther a very good size for buny

Whippety type lurcher sounds like it would suit you and the land you hunt,

All i would do is not so much worrie about X but more to with the right parents that ticks all the boxes your after then you'll have half a chance with a pup out of them,

Somthing with early pace decent mouth shouldnt go far wrong for what your after

Cheers.

my bedy whippet gh are 24 and half inch and 24" so ther a very good size for buny

Good !! I said "usualy"; and said many would disagree. I have a 29" bitch that takes rabbits in the lamp, but I wouldn't advise the lad to get a Deer/Grey for what he wants...I only gave an opinion. A dog from 18" to 32" will take rabbits, but the lad asked what was best for him. I'd suggest a middle of the road, 22" to 27" Lurcher to Lurcher bred dog, from a GENUINE breeder !!

Cheers.

• Like 1

i was just saying what my dogs size bud not having a dig i agree he needs a midle road dog my dh x gh will do bunys butt ther bred fore bunys lets be honnest

Sorry mate, if you picked it up wrong, I apolagise. It's only the net, not real life !! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Thanks all, ive always fancied a beddie lurcher, and the bed/whippet/grey does tempt me. My current lurcher can really turn it on when she's in the mood, but thats just the problem....if theres not much happening she just goes and finds a stick to play with. I am used to collie lurchers, but my previous one had some beardie in him and he was a much better hunter than the one i have at the moment, he would happily work further away from me, where as my current border collie/grey wont hunt very far away from me, constantly going only 20 yards away and then coming back to me to send her away again.

How do you find the temperament of beddie lurchers? And how do you find their recall?

Cheers

Edited by wuyang