Fox trapping and killing -- some advice needed.

Dear all,

My problem: I live in a suburb in surrey. I have a garden that is about 40 meters in length, perhaps 15 - 17 meters wide. I keep chickens in a pen and I let them out on weekends to catch worms and stretch their legs. After a couple of years of this, uninterrupted routine, a family of foxes appear to have moved in somewhere close. So far one chicken has been taken and another mauled and injured. My chickens are very shaken up, they refuse to lay eggs and miss their fallen comrade.

I understand that the fox is only doing what comes naturally and I have nothing personal against foxes. I have tried repellents, but i've spotted them still coming into my garden. I am not interested in any other remedies at this time other than a cull.

I am not prepared to pay a professional pest controller to come and do the job as getting rid of this family of foxes will likely lead to it's replacement. The costs would therefore be too high considering that I am capable of taking care of the problem myself. Instead I plan an ongoing campaign to capture and dispatch foxes. So far I have shot one dead with a single shot to the head using my air rifle (shooting at about 11 fp), however, this is not going to be an option moving forward as I don't have the time to lay siege, waiting for them.

So, I have almost completed a trap which will catch them alive. It's going to work, that much I am sure of. When I catch the fox i intend to dispatch it with a close range head shot. I intend to put water and food in the trap to sustain the animal until i get to it and that will not be more than a few hours.

I intend to keep the trap in a place where my neighbours will not see it. No point in upsetting anyone and I do not want to attract any unnecessary attention. Even my fiance thinks it's a rabbit hutch I've been building with 'an automatic door'.

So, to my concern. As far as I know, this method of culling is permissible by law, and I am not doing anything illegal. This will not necessarily stop the authorities trying to pin something on me though. So i just wanted to run the plan by some more experienced individuals and make sure I have all the posts covered and in the event that I do receive a knock at the door.

If anyone has any experience in this field -- particularly in suburban areas where you would be dealing with slightly differently minded authorities than in the country -- please share any and all information you can. I just want to protect my chickens and subsequently protect myself in doing so.

Thanks and respect,

PJ

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get yourself a dog and stop moaning.Just trap the feckers and despatch with the airgun .Used to shoot loads where i worked with a webley hurricane pistol in traps and on the snare line .Airgun in the

If a fox is shot dead with a single shot to the head with an air rifle there is no offence as the animal did not suffer.   But remember, some organisations or people will try to cause trouble no mat

youve all ready done something illegal an told everyone lol its illegal to shoot foxs with an air rifle for a start im sure it is ..... an if its not then its surely unethical an hardly humane way of

Although it is not illegal to shoot a fox with an air rifle, you may be committing an offence under the Animal Welfare Act. The second a fox enters a trap it becomes the responsibility of the person who set the trap and therefore, you have a duty of care to that animal.

Sub 12ft/lbs air rifles are not considered to be suitable weapons to dispatch foxes.

Contact Urban Fox Control on here, he may be able to advise further, and also offers a dispatch service.

You seem to contradict yourself with this comment:

I am not prepared to pay a professional pest controller to come and do the job as getting rid of this family of foxes will likely lead to it's replacement.

If you don't want to create a 'vacuum' then why are you shooting foxes with an air rifle? If the real reason that you don't want to get someone in is that you resent paying the money then why not just say so?

The time and money you spend on building or buying cages, and either getting a weapon suitable for dispatch (a .410 shotgun is ideal) could easily spent employing a professional.

You could also consider a 'Collarum' trap; but again, you will need to make arrangements for suitable and humane disposal.

If a fox is shot dead with a single shot to the head with an air rifle there is no offence as the animal did not suffer.

But remember, some organisations or people will try to cause trouble no matter what. Just do it discreetly. Think about what you are going to do with the carcass. Locally to me there is a facility to dispose of them, plus dispatch if needed. Have a look around for something that can do the job.

As for humane, it's considered humane to put a squirrel in a hessian sack and club it to death for crying out loud! I have never done it, and always make sure any dispatch is done with a minimum of pain to the animal.

Edited by StephenWalsh
  • Like 2

Thank you all for your answers.

Born Hunter: Yes, money comes into it in a big way. If I had an inexhaustible budget, I would happily pay for this to be done by a professional. If it were to be a one off event, I would get the pros in too. Alas, I am neither rich, nor is this the only fox in town. The reason I am posting here is to get advice on the legality and technicalities of doing this myself. There is no contradiction there, I have clearly said that the 'cost would be too high'. Anyway...

I don't have a shotgun license, and as far as I know shooting one in a built up area would be against the law.

Regarding the comment about a sub 12 fp air rifle being insufficient. I already killed a fox with this same rifle at a distance of around 10 meters (not illegal). It was a _very_ quick indeed. So I can't quite see how a close range shot (once trapped) could be any less humane than that. I have seen a few threads here and there about the legality of shooting foxes with air rifles. The bottom line (i believe) is that there is no law specifically about it. Nonetheless, i would be happy to hear any other suggestions about how the dispatch could be carried out. Anything more foolproof, swift, humane (and not to mention) legal methods would be gratefully received.

I've decided to call a professional to better understand what they would do and how (if they will tell me) before I proceed and how much a 'dispatch and dispose' service costs if i trap them myself.

Regards.

PJ

How do the professionals do it?

I do pest control for a living, take a look at my website, link is below.

I know a couple of guys in London who use Rim Fire .305 rifles to take foxes in urban gardens. Likewise, small bore shotguns can be used discreetly. Where a firearm can't be used then trap and take it away to be dispatched. All perfectly legal.

The key is that the animal does not suffer and that the dispatch doesn't break the law, i.e. the conditions contained within the Food and Environment Protection Act 1985 which stipulates how pests and vermin may be controlled. You can't poison a fox, or gas them. Legal methods are shooting, live catch traps (you can relocate foxes although this is a contentious issue) and snares (both lethal and live capture). There is more legislation about types of snares too. The Wild Mammals Protection Act 1996 prevents the cruel treatment of all wild animals.

Personally I trap and take foxes for dispatch by someone with a firearms licence as I don't have one. Perfectly legal.

• Like 1

we have snared shot and trapped over 70 foxes this year on our shoot. I would never use an air rifle EVER to dispatch them in my honesest opinion they are just not up to the job yes ok the op said he had shot one and but it may have been the flukiest shot ever, i dont think a pellet would penetrate a skull! why not apply for a SGC and get a nice little silenced .410 as far as your neighbours were conserned you may have just slammed yoour garden shed door.

captive bolt gun is another option no ticket needed, as it fire .22 blanks

have to be pritty hands on to use that :laugh: feck that, have you ever been bitten by a fox :laugh: not good, no i`ll stick to something that works from further away :laugh:

Dear all,

My problem: I live in a suburb in surrey. I have a garden that is about 40 meters in length, perhaps 15 - 17 meters wide. I keep chickens in a pen and I let them out on weekends to catch worms and stretch their legs. After a couple of years of this, uninterrupted routine, a family of foxes appear to have moved in somewhere close. So far one chicken has been taken and another mauled and injured. My chickens are very shaken up, they refuse to lay eggs and miss their fallen comrade.

I understand that the fox is only doing what comes naturally and I have nothing personal against foxes. I have tried repellents, but i've spotted them still coming into my garden. I am not interested in any other remedies at this time other than a cull.

I am not prepared to pay a professional pest controller to come and do the job as getting rid of this family of foxes will likely lead to it's replacement. The costs would therefore be too high considering that I am capable of taking care of the problem myself. Instead I plan an ongoing campaign to capture and dispatch foxes. So far I have shot one dead with a single shot to the head using my air rifle (shooting at about 11 fp), however, this is not going to be an option moving forward as I don't have the time to lay siege, waiting for them.

So, I have almost completed a trap which will catch them alive. It's going to work, that much I am sure of. When I catch the fox i intend to dispatch it with a close range head shot. I intend to put water and food in the trap to sustain the animal until i get to it and that will not be more than a few hours.

I intend to keep the trap in a place where my neighbours will not see it. No point in upsetting anyone and I do not want to attract any unnecessary attention. Even my fiance thinks it's a rabbit hutch I've been building with 'an automatic door'.

So, to my concern. As far as I know, this method of culling is permissible by law, and I am not doing anything illegal. This will not necessarily stop the authorities trying to pin something on me though. So i just wanted to run the plan by some more experienced individuals and make sure I have all the posts covered and in the event that I do receive a knock at the door.

If anyone has any experience in this field -- particularly in suburban areas where you would be dealing with slightly differently minded authorities than in the country -- please share any and all information you can. I just want to protect my chickens and subsequently protect myself in doing so.

Thanks and respect,

PJ

Don't shoot a fox with an air rifle - even at close range. Borrow or buy a shotgun an air rifle is in no way a suitable method of dispatch if you get caught doing this you would have to answer questions so to speak. There are codes of practice to be adhered to and shooting a fox with any air rifle is a big no no. Think about when you catch your fox, he will distressed and moving about like crazy - how are you meant to get a decent shot? You certainly wont be able to put the weapon close up to his head just to him being frantic. You should seek professional advice or as i said, visit someone who owns shotguns and is licensed and competent.