gaining new permission

Went to see an old farmer friend yesterday who has a load of land to ask about permission, he nearly bit my hand off when I said about the ferrets but went a lot more coy when I mentioned running the lurcher on the lamp.

I've done work for him in the past and known him a long time so he knows I'm trustworthy etc, I think after a while he'll let me on at night and until then I've got a load of ferreting to do as he reckons he's over run, I hope he's right.

It got me thinking how hard it is now to get permission as said I know this bloke well enough so what chance do you have cold calling?

i know mate , i worked on a few farms round my way for years and now most of the farmers well and i struggle at times for lamping , ferreting , yea help yourself but say lurcher and there faces change , and they start to stuter , its a sad state of affairs tbh

just do a good job ferreting and show him your killing rabbits for him , then ask again

aye mate its not easy, between myself and my mate we have enough permission to keep 2 dogs lamping once/twice a week when were both off work. we would love more to keep it varied but as you say its not easy to get. how i personally go about it is to ask to do a bit rabbiting for them with ferrets and mention that we take most rabbits at night with our small whippet crosses and are we ok to come at night?. our dogs are 23-24" lurchers with a dash of whippet so were not lying, they just sound less like sheep munching machines. we have been fortunate and the land owners are nice people we just ring them in the afternoon to say we will be about on the night and were away. hopefully this year we can get some more so we dont have to hammer the same land. fingers crossed! atb lad

Your right lads good permission is hard to come by, I walked some permission last night and there was hardly a rabbit on it just makes you go off permission.

I'll get hard at the ferreting on this new bit and he'll see in the day my dogs can be trusted, and that will hopefully allow some night time work. :thumbs:

Try offering to pay for permission its the greatest cure for stuttering farmers and works a treat (in most cases) :thumbs:

yeh that would start me stuttering,, feck that,, hare coursing maybee,, but not for bunnys

Went to see an old farmer friend yesterday who has a load of land to ask about permission, he nearly bit my hand off when I said about the ferrets but went a lot more coy when I mentioned running the lurcher on the lamp.

I've done work for him in the past and known him a long time so he knows I'm trustworthy etc, I think after a while he'll let me on at night and until then I've got a load of ferreting to do as he reckons he's over run, I hope he's right.

It got me thinking how hard it is now to get permission as said I know this bloke well enough so what chance do you have cold calling?

Just had the same; bought a few chickens of a local farmer on saturday and asked about permission, he said no problem ferreting and would even take me round and see the warrens, but as soon as I mentioned lamping, his attitude changed ! I'll do a bit ferreting and drop him a rabbit or two off and when I get chickens or feed, etc off him, I'll keep trying for the lamping permission !!

Cheers.

Try offering to pay for permission its the greatest cure for stuttering farmers and works a treat (in most cases) :thumbs:

yeh that would start me stuttering,, feck that,, hare coursing maybee,, but not for bunnys

Fair comment ;)

its because of all the clowns who let there dogs worry or even attack the farmers livestock the best way round that is like has been said take your dog through the day mate even invite the farmer down to see what the dog is like and to see what there work is about atb

Cheers lads,

last year I worked on a farm ( doing roof repairs) I had the dogs with me and the farmer invited me up for a night with the dog because he was impressed with how she was around his cattle etc he was a shooter and wanted to see the dog run. Now she's going ok I'll take her up and have a night out with him,

As I'm getting back into it after a while out the old permission we had has gone ( some of it completely gone, housing estates on one bit and tescos + industrial estate on another) and it seems the attitude towards lurchers in particular is different. I don't think it takes the farmer/ land owner etc long to work out who's decent and who aint though it is a shame some of the lads will ruin the reputation for everyone though.

ATB

Kev