Blood hounds

• 2 weeks later...

turkish

if you are okay w/ a cross you might want to look into Majestic hounds from the USA. they are bloodhoundXcoonhound. theoretically they run better & longer than pure bloods and have better hunting instincts due to working coonhounds being put over the less commonly worked bloods.

http://home.mindspri...morrow/id1.html

ETA

there are lines of coldnosed bobcat & lion hound in the western USA that will run a track as old or older than any bloodhound and run it faster & longer. oh and they don't have super long ears and jowls.

Edited by Pops
  • Like 1

I don't hunt hounds, i prefer curs. i just don't like the hours & hours of running involved w/ most hounds. also in a lot of places i've lived before the land was carved up into a lot of small parcels so the dogs would have been "trespassing" a lot. in Texas this will get most hounds shot.

the Majestic is a slow track straddling dog. if your fox run like Texas hogs, the majestic will never see it. but if you plan to shoot the fox in front of the dogs they may work for you.

i can't imagine they don't have some good foxhounds in Eire, what exactly are you looking for the dog to do different from how they currently work?

I just thought the blood would stay on longer on fox and find in cover better than fox hounds I'm just curious I suppose to see how they work. Ye good fox hounds here but just exploring diff avenues of hound work. So you telling me they would be no better than fox hound we have in Eire. Thanks fir info pops

I hunted first cross bloodhound/foxhound crosses out in Rome, they were cracking hounds, they bloody flew and could catch foxes !! i bred the pure bloodhound bitch to a really nice pure bloodhound dog from Napoli the fella was a Mafiosa guy and hunted a lot of wild boar, the dog we used was a beautiful big red dog called Picaso :) the resulting puppy, yes puppy there was just one !! was dynamite on hares,

sir Newton Rycroft hunted first crosses when he was master and huntsman of the New Forrest and rekoned on them being some of the best hounds he'd ever hunted

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got blood hound x beagle yesterday and tried her today. She hunted a big red stag out of covet and just lost him cause he jumped over small river about twenty foot wide as if it was only a step. Then hunted a fox on for a good while very happy have to say. Anyway just said if give ye some feed back on it coyote .