fireball fps

deker those chrono speeds are mikes. he uses different powders to me and has a factory rifle. the only reason i can see ? i get faster speeds is mine is a custom barrel and tighter chamber cut to min sammy spec

there is nothing wrong with the calibres you have above i like different rifles.my mates have 223 i went 22/250 they went 204 i went 17 cf, they have 243 and 308 i went with 270.

i guess i like speed demons :laugh: they kill know better, dead is dead. it just gets there a little faster :D:toast:

one thing i would say is i wouldnt have hmr,22wmr and a 22lr. yes there different tools in there own right. but do the same sort of things. one 17 cf would clear the hmr and the 22wmr off your ticket.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

jamie

Pleased with the debate and your input, it would be good if someone else could join in and put a case for these as well, but others seem a little quiet, this is genuinely a learning curve for me and I'm really trying to get as much as I can on these little centrefires...AND COST!

Just how much is the ammo, factory and reloads?

HMR 245ft lb and 2550ft sec good for longer bunnies that the .22lr can't handle and close(ish) fox. (I'm happy to take fox out to about 100 yards with the HMR)

WMR 320ft lb 1850 ft sec hits fox and geese like a train (30g Ballistic tips about 2200 ft sec and 320ft lb), despite the fact half the Police regions round the country will not even consider rimfire for fox!

Just where does a Fireball stack up at 700+ ft lb and 4000 (ISH) ft sec and remove the need for these? If both of these had to go I would rate a Hornet every time to replace them not a Fireball.

If you take a look at my rifle selection there is arguably a gap between the WMR and .223, I have thought about filling it with a Hornet many times, the fact is I haven't found the need or I would have done!

ATB!

hi deker

they are cheap to reload 17.2 grns of powder and the brass can be shot several times.for me i love the extra ft lbs it is the only center fire that my local plod will approve for rabbits .my .204 can be used on fox only.yet should you be rabbiting and see mr fox the range is there with the assurance of a clean kill.it sounds like you enjoy the stalk, after years of stalking rabbits i prefer lying up at long range and having to do a few sums to make the shot.just a different angle to the sport and trying to get accurate at long range.that said i do miss my light weight anschutz hmr and may be thinking of changing back as since i have had the fireball i don't use the .204 wich is my favorite rifle.

Firstly I dont have a .17, but i have considered one for long range varmint.

I think one point that is being overlooked in the pro's department is the flat shooting trajectory, which can ease extended range shooting over 200 yards, which is my current self imposed rabbit range with my Hornet.

I cant reload my Hornet for .20p so good luck if you can a .17. :victory:

The heads are £22 / 100 to start with. a primer is 0.03p and powder works out about 0.06p

Flatter shooting, means you can be less accurate with your range estimation and makes taking shots quicker.

As for approval of C/F for rabbits?? I have every rifle I have conditioned and approved for rabbits up to .243................but wouldn't waste the ammo :laugh:

If my Hornet needs rebarreling , it may go .17 Ackley Hornet, semi custom... :angel: but not sure yet.... and I've got a long time to think about it. :yes:

it doesnt matter if you have 17 cf,one of the 20 calibre cf or even 22 hornet. they are all good in there own rights.

and imo is more thne enough for vermin and fox. to ranges most people shoot to under the lamp

the choice is down to the person. you wont go wrong with any of them