Dog just wants to fook off !

My 7 month whippet cross just wants to do one at every opportunity it gets, I don't understand why, you can't take your eye off her for a second. And if she gets hurt well that's it...thought I'd lost her the other day, dog ran inside of her and she just legged it! No calling would get her back! Dunno what to do

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you need to make yourself more interesting to the pup,make her want to be with you from the inside out, calling her in cases like that dont make a jot of difference,because your voice is not stimulat

What you have to remember is that pups which have been neglected during the most important months of their lives: the first 4 months, take a great deal of patience. She has missed out on all that earl

keep it on the lead then, try to get a bond with it 1st.Keep giving it fuss+treats while its on the lead, if you are going to loose it of the lead make sure they aint knowbody about or dog. It still j

keep it on the lead then, try to get a bond with it 1st.Keep giving it fuss+treats while its on the lead, if you are going to loose it of the lead make sure they aint knowbody about or dog. It still just a pup, so you will get all this, just let it know that staying with you is a nice thing. And if you do loose it off, and you carnt get it back dont (shout your balls off ) just be nice and easy walk slow and feckin chill, if you carnt do any of these (dont) loose it of the lead.!!

• Like 1

My 7 month whippet cross just wants to do one at every opportunity it gets, I don't understand why, you can't take your eye off her for a second. And if she gets hurt well that's it...thought I'd lost her the other day, dog ran inside of her and she just legged it! No calling would get her back! Dunno what to do

you need to make yourself more interesting to the pup,make her want to be with you from the inside out,

calling her in cases like that dont make a jot of difference,because your voice is not stimulating anything inside her, its got to come from her,

if its a fearful pup, i would practice bite work with a tug toy, if you get her to bite and tug ,you will create a bond based on drive and drive is harmony with its surroundings to a dog,

it will also go a long way to getting the fear out,,

dont tell her off for making contact with you of any sort,

sensitive dogs are more prey like than predator, they revert to a instinctual mindset when things get all to much for them, fear is instinct based, its flight rather than fight

bring out the predator in her ,and she will develop a different mindset ,it shows her a different way of dealing with things, which also means you need to express a less dominant approach in situations with her,

dogs develop mindsets off how to deal with situations based on past emotional history ,if incidents in the past that effected her were dealt with by her running away, well as far as shes concerned it worked ,because shes still alive, im always aware of young pups and how different events effect them ,you just cant push them too far, because there personality becomes affected later in life,,

ball play and tug toys build up their confidence from within ,it stimulates drive ,and forms bonds,,

take her out and play somewhere,, intersperse playing with feeding out of your hand ,call her name when you stop for a few minutes to restart,she will associate recall with drive and thats very positive in the relationship,,best of luck with her,,

• Like 6

The pup doesn't like you. :yes:

• Like 1

put some f*****g time into it then jesus

You stupid c**t, I'm out with her morning and night so wind your neck in mouth ! I've only had her 6 weeks, she's been banged up in a kennell for the first 6 months and never taken out till I picked her up

I put loads of time into her, but can only do so much to a dog that's been ruined by being left alone and done god knows what to in it's first 6 months! She's come on leaps and bounds and she does like me there's nout wrong wit that she's goes bonkers when I get home

Edited by Brian-911

you need to make yourself more interesting to the pup,make her want to be with you from the inside out,

calling her in cases like that dont make a jot of difference,because your voice is not stimulating anything inside her, its got to come from her,

if its a fearful pup, i would practice bite work with a tug toy, if you get her to bite and tug ,you will create a bond based on drive and drive is harmony with its surroundings to a dog,

it will also go a long way to getting the fear out,,

dont tell her off for making contact with you of any sort,

sensitive dogs are more prey like than predator, they revert to a instinctual mindset when things get all to much for them, fear is instinct based, its flight rather than fight

bring out the predator in her ,and she will develop a different mindset ,it shows her a different way of dealing with things, which also means you need to express a less dominant approach in situations with her,

dogs develop mindsets off how to deal with situations based on past emotional history ,if incidents in the past that effected her were dealt with by her running away, well as far as shes concerned it worked ,because shes still alive, im always aware of young pups and how different events effect them ,you just cant push them too far, because there personality becomes affected later in life,,

ball play and tug toys build up their confidence from within ,it stimulates drive ,and forms bonds,,

take her out and play somewhere,, intersperse playing with feeding out of your hand ,call her name when you stop for a few minutes to restart,she will associate recall with drive and thats very positive in the relationship,,best of luck with her,,

Cheers mate, she's not interested in tug play, I have started doing some ball play with her which she seems to enjoy and brings it straight back. she's funny she will come back like last night I was out with a couple of mates with there dogs, on when we called them back she was the first one back! But if the were not in a field she just try's to find a way to get out. Bit of an escape artist I think.

What you have to remember is that pups which have been neglected during the most important months of their lives: the first 4 months, take a great deal of patience. She has missed out on all that early learning which actually stimulates the brain and makes the dog 'more intelligent'. By this I mean that she is like a child which hasn't been spoken to or played with until it is a year old. Think what that does to a young thing's brain! She will always be playing 'catch up' and her brain will really struggle to take in the things we take for granted. Not saying that she is a lost cause, but treat her like a pup of 3 months old, rather than one of 7 months old. Only by starting as though she is very young will you get anywhere with her. And expect her to take longer to learn the things that we expect a pup of 10 weeks to learn very quickly.

Regarding the running off: she is now a strange situation: all that freedom, but she doesn't know what to do with it. Like Casso says, she is running, partly because she is like a prey animal, and partly because she needs to run and run. I'd not let her off lead in wide open spaces at the moment: only let her off lead in smaller spaces where you can concentrate on getting her back to you more easily. Take her out hungry, take a pocketful of tasty treats: something she really likes, and practice calling her to you. Each time she comes, give her a titbit. That way you are conditioning her to know that coming to you means good things. Call her to you, reward with food, then let her go again straight away. And don't do this when there's other dogs around. She will be distracted by them and not listen to you as well, even though she came back with the other dogs as you said. She is obviously much more dog orientated than human orientated, and the only way you'll get her to listen to you, want to be with you, is if you take her out alone and make yourself the best thing since sliced bread.

At the moment, don't put her in situations where she can obey her flight instinct: too much open space and freedom is not a good thing right now. Get her looking to you whenever you speak to her: give her a treat and a cuddle when she comes, but don't overwhelm her with constant commands or calling. Work on the recall and treat in the back yard before you ever do it out in the open. You need a reliable recall every time in a more confined space before you risk doing this in the wide open spaces.

• Like 2

just keep playing with the dog in the garden mate don shout at yore dog be very nice as sky cat said you are playing catch up so treat it like a pupy i no you wont to go out with ya dog but try not too make that bond so strong that it doesnt wont to leav you play with it every opitunity you can when you go fore your walks try and keep it on the lead let it watch the other dogs run things that will allso keen it up butt all of the above is sound advice you would be a fool if you didnt try any of it and just be paicent with the dog remember you are starting from scratch hope any of this helpps you mate atb G