DEERHOUND X GREYHOUND PUPS 10MONTH

Deerhound xs greys are what they are and lots better with the influence of another breed whippets ,usually give whippet size bitches and the dogs slightly taller. Collie grey deerhound greys or touch a beddy were popular for the xes to be more versatile the second generation half can go either ways deerhound or grey and seen damn nigh deerhound and also grey type from same nest in second generation ,use the deerhound for what it his a good base for a classy looking type with versatility if that's what one likes those deerhound greys are what they are I have seen doxehopes types when bill and his farther bred them we had one in the family ok ,but was improved with a touch of another breed ,sorisdale deerhound greyhounds broke up where I run feet just could not take the hammering of the ground..atb bunnys

many of us had deer/grey cross collie/grey in the 80s, almost the standard lurcher of its time, and most made reasonable all rounders. not sure how many were genuine, as there would have needed to be a hell of a lot of coursing deerhounds at stud lol.

google sorisdale deerhounds, now i know it is difficult to judge conformation from photos, but some of those dogs look more like camels or donkeys than deerhounds, and certainly none have what we would look for in a working hound. seem to be big heavy cloddy things too, and excessive weight added to poor feet would certainly explain why the crosses youve seen had such problems

Never heard of the Sorisdale deerhounds before, going on your description it sounds like they've had irish wolfhound blood introduced into them as some have, wonder if an outcross to a strong marathon greyhound could bring some restoration to a struggling breed, or if anybody even gives a f**k

I just googled sorisdale deerhounds, and the first thing that came up was a dog called sorisdale maclugash, archie. Looks like it could have a touch of saluki in it judging from the pic of him head on lol. A fair few pics of different lines of deerhound came up, and like you say, many of them looked too big, and untypical of proper working bred deerhounds, and some you would have to say definitely looked more wolfhound than deerhound, and many of them had far too much coat as well. Not looking good really on the whole.

And I agree with you lpd, an outcross to a good distance/marathon greyhound is what I think most lines of deerhounds would definitely benefit from. Be a shame to see this breed degenerate any further.

I reckon it would take some dedicated people with good knowledge of breeding to improve and then maintain a line of potential working deerhounds, wonder if there is enough stock left to work from, I hear there are still some people working the deerhounds in Ireland

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HERE ARE MY 2 COOKLAND BRED 1ST X DEERHOUND GREYHOUND PUPS, MY DOG IS 29INCHS HIGH MY BITCH IS 27. BOTH SHOWING GREAT POTENTIAL IN THE FIELD.

Still good working DH's around 15 month full bitch I bred myself (held by my 2 yr old son) some sight to see her move over the heather

Not always,this is a site for open debate and discussion.Nearly all the posts on this thread enthused about the pups.Many know im a massive fan of Deerhoundy lurchers and id not wish prospective Deerh

Posted Images

Deerhound xs greys are what they are and lots better with the influence of another breed whippets ,usually give whippet size bitches and the dogs slightly taller. Collie grey deerhound greys or touch a beddy were popular for the xes to be more versatile the second generation half can go either ways deerhound or grey and seen damn nigh deerhound and also grey type from same nest in second generation ,use the deerhound for what it his a good base for a classy looking type with versatility if that's what one likes those deerhound greys are what they are I have seen doxehopes types when bill and his farther bred them we had one in the family ok ,but was improved with a touch of another breed ,sorisdale deerhound greyhounds broke up where I run feet just could not take the hammering of the ground..atb bunnys

many of us had deer/grey cross collie/grey in the 80s, almost the standard lurcher of its time, and most made reasonable all rounders. not sure how many were genuine, as there would have needed to be a hell of a lot of coursing deerhounds at stud lol.

google sorisdale deerhounds, now i know it is difficult to judge conformation from photos, but some of those dogs look more like camels or donkeys than deerhounds, and certainly none have what we would look for in a working hound. seem to be big heavy cloddy things too, and excessive weight added to poor feet would certainly explain why the crosses youve seen had such problems

Never heard of the Sorisdale deerhounds before, going on your description it sounds like they've had irish wolfhound blood introduced into them as some have, wonder if an outcross to a strong marathon greyhound could bring some restoration to a struggling breed, or if anybody even gives a f**k
I just googled sorisdale deerhounds, and the first thing that came up was a dog called sorisdale maclugash, archie. Looks like it could have a touch of saluki in it judging from the pic of him head on lol. A fair few pics of different lines of deerhound came up, and like you say, many of them looked too big, and untypical of proper working bred deerhounds, and some you would have to say definitely looked more wolfhound than deerhound, and many of them had far too much coat as well. Not looking good really on the whole.

And I agree with you lpd, an outcross to a good distance/marathon greyhound is what I think most lines of deerhounds would definitely benefit from. Be a shame to see this breed degenerate any further.

I reckon it would take some dedicated people with good knowledge of breeding to improve and then maintain a line of potential working deerhounds, wonder if there is enough stock left to work from, I hear there are still some people working the deerhounds in Ireland

i got the quarry,perm,time and abit of money if somebody has the brains.

sounds good but i'd rather not have them smaller than a x in physique i.want them 28 tts and strong.

. All depends how one sees small in a first xs seen em 33 tots and built like house ends I consider 28 has middle of the road for a deerhound type and a bitch at that. I think we both agree that there still are some deerhounds about and 2 breeders of them where I am both keep the Irish bred types spoken about recently I am told they like reds They certainly are so different than most deerhound types of late and could be mistaken for hybrids.atb bunnys.

There be some fine specimens local ta me a old buddy keeps them they like reds , they are Irish stuff and small in comparison to some , and smaller in physique and height than most xs bred grey versions atb bunnys.

That's good to hear mate, I remember reading years ago about some deerhounds bred for coursing the bitches were said to be around 26 inches tts with dogs around the 28 inch mark

33tts blimey they can keep them.i'd want a 28 tts male and strongly built.there is definietly some cracking one's out there.not just in ireland.taking reds isn't of massive importance to me although it's satisfying when they do it well,unless your on about red deer.preban.if he has a litter and wants to sell let me know.no harm in looking.

attachicon.gifbecky.jpg

Still good working DH's around 15 month full bitch I bred myself (held by my 2 yr old son) some sight to see her move over the heather

Every deerhound cross I ever saw was half hearted at foxes and most were also clumsy and not commited at everything else.you live in the next county to me and I can't see what these hairy sacks of shite offer over line bred hare,fox or rabbit dogs,I've seen my fair share and every one was exposed as a cull especially on foxes.
  • Like 1

HERE ARE MY 2 COOKLAND BRED 1ST X DEERHOUND GREYHOUND PUPS, MY DOG IS 29INCHS HIGH MY BITCH IS 27.

BOTH SHOWING GREAT POTENTIAL IN THE FIELD.

S7301664.jpgS7301666.jpgS7301661.jpg

Thats a poor looking Deerhoundy bitch,short coupled,short necked,narrow fronted and weak skulled,the dog looks a tad wider between the ears but is slender jawed and as weak looking as the bitch.A very poor representation of a Deerhoundy.
haha,bit harsh morton.short coupled and short neck could be solved by showing it something and they'll stand better.other crtisism's can see your point.look at the back foot on the bitch.
Deerhoundys where noted for their strength,long back,long powerfull neck and a jaw suited to their frame,wide and powerful stance and an invincible aura,i didn,t get any of that from the mutts depicted,many did.No matter how those two stood would not have solved the majority of their shortcomings,as Deerhoundy lurchers.Its often seen as ill manners to be honest at times.
They look like the type that were doing the job up here in the north east 20 years ago when deer greys were popular, the box headed deerhounds were created by the show knackers outcrossing to irish wolfhounds to make their deerhounds look more impressive in the ring, wonder how these dogs turned out anyway as this topic was started 5 years ago

They look nothing like what ive accepted as the the finest lurchers befitting the name.

HERE ARE MY 2 COOKLAND BRED 1ST X DEERHOUND GREYHOUND PUPS, MY DOG IS 29INCHS HIGH MY BITCH IS 27.

BOTH SHOWING GREAT POTENTIAL IN THE FIELD.

S7301664.jpgS7301666.jpgS7301661.jpg

Thats a poor looking Deerhoundy bitch,short coupled,short necked,narrow fronted and weak skulled,the dog looks a tad wider between the ears but is slender jawed and as weak looking as the bitch.A very poor representation of a Deerhoundy.
haha,bit harsh morton.short coupled and short neck could be solved by showing it something and they'll stand better.other crtisism's can see your point.look at the back foot on the bitch.
Deerhoundys where noted for their strength,long back,long powerfull neck and a jaw suited to their frame,wide and powerful stance and an invincible aura,i didn,t get any of that from the mutts depicted,many did.No matter how those two stood would not have solved the majority of their shortcomings,as Deerhoundy lurchers.Its often seen as ill manners to be honest at times.
They look like the type that were doing the job up here in the north east 20 years ago when deer greys were popular, the box headed deerhounds were created by the show knackers outcrossing to irish wolfhounds to make their deerhounds look more impressive in the ring, wonder how these dogs turned out anyway as this topic was started 5 years ago
probably just mature enough to run a few rabbits :D if you believe what people say about them being slow maturing lol

They look ok to me. Pretty much the same as most 10 month old running dogs. A bit gangly or scrawny in places, but they grow into themselves properly, and fill out and strengthen up with a bit more maturity and age.

Don't know about the bitch being that weak headed either. She looks pretty greyhoundy to me. A 10 month old greyhoundy bitch. Not surprising really, she is HALF FECKING GREYHOUND :thumbs:

I expect a lurcher to grow into its shell by the time it is 7 months old,a few months later it shows what it will become not much later.If its a weak at 10 months it will always be weak and fragile looking.Im not attempting to knock the lads dogs as i want more folk to become Deerhound orientated.Id not feed a young wreckling that will become an adult wreckling,a wreckling is a piss poor lurcher.