alaskan malamute

Well I'll probbly get loads of stick from guys about this......

I read that alaskan malamute have a high prey drive and are used for hunting as well as pack animals in their native country. I know their big, slow and there's other hunting dogs out there, but does anyone think this true or has seen them chase prey.

More curious then anything else cos i thought they were just bred for pulling sleds but it does make sense to have them hunt aswell.

cheers

This being the largest and the heaviest of the Spitz breeds, I thought it would have been a ridiculous cross. I mean if you wanted to go down the Spitz breed line I would of thought there would of been more suited dogs available like the Siberian Husky with its unbelievable stamina, good coat, feet and fairly light frame. But all said there seems to be a couple on here used to some success although the cross is being some what watered down.

My parents once had a Elk Hound that was real naughty around other dogs and it wasn't entierly trust worthy around people. I saw this dog pick up and shake dogs and I had a fair bit of trouble with it with mine. I've no doubt if crossed with a decent Greyhound it would of produced some usable dogs although imo a bit slow, but hey I'm sure you could say that about many breeds.

I read that alaskan malamute have a high prey drive and are used for hunting as well as pack animals in their native country. I know their big, slow and there's other hunting dogs out there, but does anyone think this true or has seen them chase prey.

More curious then anything else cos i thought they were just bred for pulling sleds but it does make sense to have them hunt aswell.

cheers

from what i have seen of the malamute they have a great prey drive and seem to posses alot of bottle and dont appear to have a bad nose on them. ive lamped a pure malamute although her speed wasnt great i have had a few rabbits with her.

forgot to say i am sure that they are also used to hunt karaboo aswell as sled pulling.

but how many generations would you say it's been since the kc ones have done any work at all?

the kennel club have only had the hold of the breed for about 5 years i think. dont quote me on that though as i might be wrong.

they use them to track and hunt badgers bud its called Grävling

its pretty graphic

I would say in that video the dogs are ragging on a dead badger. The dogs dont look like malmutes, more like Elkhounds. I would be interested to know more about that hunting method. There is another video (in the related section) of the same two dogs with a live badger. They are holding it at bay. Makes me think that the hounds free range and bay up the badger before the hunter arrives to shoot it. The dogs then rag the carcass. But I could be wrong, I often am...

• Like 1

its pretty graphic

I would say in that video the dogs are ragging on a dead badger. The dogs dont look like malmutes, more like Elkhounds. I would be interested to know more about that hunting method. There is another video (in the related section) of the same two dogs with a live badger. They are holding it at bay. Makes me think that the hounds free range and bay up the badger before the hunter arrives to shoot it. The dogs then rag the carcass. But I could be wrong, I often am...

There is another video in the related section where it looks like they do that.

cheers

we had elk hounds and alaskan malamute here for years.

they do have a high prey drive.

out of the two the elk hound was best. he would pick a sent or a line and stay with it.

when he found game he would keep it busy till you got there.

the only problem with them is that they do like to wander.

atb,bib.

its pretty graphic

go on you tube and search for Grävling