Hi,

I'm looking for some advice or tips on estimating range at night apart from the obvious (nv rangefinder) which maybe on my Christmas list for Santa.

Feel free to come in on this pc,sako,camo and ukhunter !!

The way i go about it is do the range finding work during the day, get a mental note of the distance and away you go, it's the only way or buy a good range finder with led-disp, i keep thinking of one but then i think why when my way is working for me.

The way i go about it is do the range finding work during the day, get a mental note of the distance and away you go, it's the only way or buy a good range finder with led-disp, i keep thinking of one but then i think why when my way is working for me.

:thumbs: This is my way too. Get to know your ground well, learn the size of the fields, and use landmarks such as trees in hedgelines, gates etc as reference points for estimating range.

No matter how well you know the land at daytime, distance at night always appears vastly different.

Same here, I shoot them at night then go back the following day to see how far the shot actually was. Trick is get a flat shooting round that takes the guesswork out so you haven't got to worry to much about hold over until you are out about 300yrds then it gets hard enough to shoot anyway with a lamp unless they are in the open.

I bought a rangefinder specifically for this but really don't use it at night point and shoot is far easier, but if you are in a truck it will always have it's place for the long range shots when you have more time and not worried about the extra weight.

As said best bets to learn your land but to learn it precisely you need a range finder anyway so get it written down on that christmas list! :thumbs:

Edit: I just noticed another of your threads you want to know ranges for air rifles for rabbits sorry PIL scrap half of my reply!

Edited by sako

As above, you should in all honesty purely for safety and backstops etc know the land your shooting over.

The other thing to do is in your daytime shooting start using a lower magnification on your scope and remember how much of the reticle is covered by your prey, that way you can transfer that in to your nightime shooting and have a very quick way of knowing range based on the amount of mildots covered by a rabbit at different ranges but always at a fixed mag.

If you shoot a regular area you can put small bits of reflector tape at certain distances on trees or fence posts, if its a large field you can do the same by using wooden stakes with the tape on,

the reflector tape can be found on ebay for around £6 which will last years, when out at night your NV will pick it up and give you an idea of the distance