ferret rescue prices

B.P.R

i spoke to somebody that ran a ferret rescue ( no names etc) and asked how much it costs to rehome a rescue ferret. they said that for single ferrets they ask for a minimum of 20pound donation. i was took back at the high cost. 20 quid for a rescue ferret? my lab x only cost a few quid more. i asked why is was so much and they said that the cost of a shed, food, vets bills hutches, runs and care soon adds up.

now while i do understand the amount of money involved surely if they lowered the cost of rehoming then they would get more 'customers' and rehome more ferrets. why would somebody pay 20+ pound to rehome a ferret when they go for free or a small working mans price on somewhere like here. the rspca charges a fiver which i think is a fair price.

no wonder the rescues are full when they are asking for you to take out a mini mortgage :whistling: to rescue a ferret.

It depends I suppose on what they come with in terms of previous vet bills.

I have my main 4 workers which were all free from some of the lads I go ferreting with.

My girlfriend has two castrated hobs, one she

got for free but then cost £45 to get him castrated. The other she got from a very good local rescue there not weirdos like most of the other rescues but he cost her £27 and came castrated so in the grand scheme of things it wasn't too bad.

The moral borderline for me is if rescues are running as a money making exercise with a supposedly 'rescue' exterior. There is one near us that I friend believe does that, a couple of

years ago a young lad was starting out and he wanted a couple of ferrets, contacted this rescue as they were just asking for a donation so the young lad saved a bit of cash and offered £10

for two kits which they turned down as it wasn't enough! Cheeky b*****ds.

In the end I managed to get him some through a good friend of mine. Ive since been told that this ferret rescue is seriously poorly run with ferrets living in crap conditions.

Obviously just run to make a few quid.

Liam

Normally you just pay the price it cost the rescue to have them neutered. Any good rescue will neuter.

But obviously id give abit more as they still cover food, bedding and vet bills for other ferrets out their own pocket.

Plus ferret rescues normally get cheaper neutering from the vets. So if your getting an adult rescue ferret neutered for a donation of

20 or 30 quid. It usually costs over £50 if I take them myself so you are saving.

They can only charge what the vet charges them for neutering & neutering is the only way to stop

idiots breeding them.

Edited by joe14

i asked a ferret rescue if they had any kits a couple of years ago which they said they did so after a bit of a disscusion i asked what the price would be and was told £40 each because they had to be neutered first before they where aloowed to go. i then asked if i could take them before they where neutered because if they proved to be good workers i would possibly breed if they were not upto the job they would be neutered at my cost. the person on the other end of the phone told me the reason so many ferrets end upin rescues was because of idiots like me willy nilly breeding them. i was a bit taken a back by this and explained that i was prepared to make a donation and help out rescuing 2 ferrets to be told that this rescue centre dosent need the likes of me to take there ferrets home and that i would make an unsuitable home for said ferrets. needless to say i havent offered to take any ferrets or bothered to contact them again. yet i now have 4 very healthy and very well looked after stinkers here that if they prove upto the job after a few seasons may well be bred from to keep the line going and all kits bred form this will be given to working homes or kept by me.

Theres one down our way, charge £10 minimum donation (or did last time I went there about 2/3 years ago).

All ferts are neutered, vet checked and well handled. Saves you getting in season jills jabbed and/or your hob lining uncut jills.

An absolute feckin' bargain IMHO.

Any one wants the number, pm me.

Cheers, D.

Why has no one named these rescues that they have approached?

Y.I.S Leeview

because its not a name and shame, its a general discussion on the amount they charge to rehome a ferret. if you want to know the rescue PM me and i will tell you. :thumbs:

IMO if you are paying to rehome a ferret it should be a donation unless they have paid for the ferret to be neutered. if you pay 20pound for a neutered ferret then obviously that is cheaper than paying for it yourself but it should be your choice if they are neutered or not and if they are already neutered, your choice to get them.

like has been said, what are you going to do if you rescue a ferret, turns out to be a cracking worker and you want to breed it along the line for yourself? your stuffed.

bottom line is they make it harder and harder for you to rehome a ferret, over 18's, house checks etc. most people looking to rehome a ferret its for one of two reasons, either they want to give a ferret another chance of they want a ferret and its the worng time of year.

joe bloggs can get a ferret for free if he looks in the ad trader or on gumtree etc they wouldnt go to a rescue :thumbs: