About 20 years ago, I spotted fox cubs playing at the mouth of a hole - it was the middle of a glorious day in early Summer. I returned with a purse net and set it over one of the holes (there were 2), and retreated to watch. Shortly, one of the cubs emerged from the unnetted hole and began to play. When it came near to the netted hole, I got up and clapped my hands, and he bolted down the hole (back-netted). I took him out of the net, without getting bit, and put a red harness on him (see photo taken same day). I then decided he needed company, so returned the next day and netted a second one the exact same way. Looking back now, they were much too old to tame, but they did grow up into adult foxes. They had the run of a old pig house on the farm, with straw bales to hide behind. They never tamed. About a year later, I took them up to the mountain and released them (Wrong, I know). Off they went across the heather, glad to be free. A couple of weeks later, my father (who was a bread sales man in the area) was talking to a local farmer in the area. "You'll never believe what happened yesterday", he said. "I was standing beside the milking parlour, when a fox walked into the yard, and stood and looked at me. I went into the parlour and lifted the gun, and when I came out he was still there - He didn't move, and I shot him!" My father (wisely) never mentioned my release!

The very young cub was one my friend was rearing to be rehabed - he doesn't normally hold them, but did this time for the photo.

The third is one we reared and released a couple of years ago. We didn't tame it much, but the children were fascinated by it.

I know they're controversial animals (as is rearing and releasing!) but I find them fascinating - I've reared them, shot them, snared them, called them, photographed them, painted them, sat and admired them - what an animal!

I think we have all done it some time or another, I did it plenty of times as a kid with all sorts of things from Grass snakes to Jackdaws and Kestrels and plenty more! I'm not saying I would do it now but my kids are just the same and fascinated, I very nearly had a Jackdaw for them last year but I know what the outcome would be! the Jackdaw would be loose land on top of one of the Hawk aviaries and it would be curtains and alot of tears :whistle:....

Guest oldskool

i used to do the same sort of thing with all sorts.... caught a fox cub once too but after a few days of gettin bit i let him off near to where he was caught... i wouldnt do it now but when i was young i was fasinated by all things wild..

Fair enough ;)

To be honest I have always fancied trying to trap a weasle or a wild mustailid (sp) in a lice catch cage just to have a look, then let it go, but I coulnt catch a feckin mouse let alone a weasle :icon_redface:

i got 2 tame weasels iwood put some pics up if icould.

I dont quite see the point in it? Why take a animal out of its natural surrounds away from its Mum just so you can rear it? Leave em where they are, not called wild animals for nothing.......

Fox in picture one was taken from his mother, but foxes in picture two and three were 'rescues' (tho' I don't know the circumstances).

You're welcome to your views (technically, I think you're right), tho' my views aren't quite so black and white. Someone had to tame wolves once upon a time etc. Also, it's difficult to see 'the point' in alot of countryside activities - I sometimes lamp foxes, but not frequently - is there much point in killing the odd fox now and then - hardly efficient vermin control, if I'm not going to be consistant. But, I enjoy the night out, so I do it. Rearing the odd fox or other animal, now and then, is fascinating, educational and really enjoyable. As long as the animal doesn't suffer, I don't have a problem.

Zek.

Edited by zek

Fair enough ;)

To be honest I have always fancied trying to trap a weasle or a wild mustailid (sp) in a lice catch cage just to have a look, then let it go, but I coulnt catch a feckin mouse let alone a weasle :icon_redface:

i got 2 tame weasels iwood put some pics up if icould.

Seriously???? Would love to see that.

Edited by JollyPoacher

I was given some old Field Mags and in one of them was a guy holding a Stoat he had hand reared! I must admit I would even to this day love to do one but finding them is the hard bit, Boy couldn't you have some fun shoving one down some Rat holes ;)....

I was given some old Field Mags and in one of them was a guy holding a Stoat he had hand reared! I must admit I would even to this day love to do one but finding them is the hard bit, Boy couldn't you have some fun shoving one down some Rat holes ;)....

Seem to remember a photo of Derry Argue holding a tame stoat/weasel, can't remember which :hmm:

Edited by Simoman

To me ,and I suspect many others ,there is a very fine line between studying an animal and admiring it to wanting to kill it .Weve probably all kept jackdaws ,magpies ,jays and crows at some time in our lives but who wouldnt take the opportunity to shoot one of them ? .As a youngster I couldnt resist rearing anything found young ,regardless of whether it was orphaned or not .Just to be in the presence of something wild and alive was like a drug .I ve known several people rear cubs ,including badger ,and have come to the conclusion that s how it will stay -other people doing it .Reared a mink once on a ferret and tamed it easily but some asshole cut the wire one day and it was run over down the lane ?.Thanks for rekindling memories mate . :clapper::clapper::clapper: