choosing the right cross for me, first lurcher

so ive been thinking about getting a lurcher and need some help

are bull crosses hyper at home? i need something calm as my bull terrier is a loon in the house

really id like something calm at home but full on when it comes to chasing bunnys, not huge and not hairy

any help is appreciated thanks

thanks for the replys, yea just for bunnys, my bullie will dispatch anything else getting in the way so it can be the smallest size dog thats capable of any rabbit

i know as a pup it will be hyper its just my dads getting on a bit and hes fed up of getting stampeeded by my bullie so to bring another dog in needs to be the opposite of him really

il have a look at these crosses

For your first lurcher you want something which is relatively easy to train, calm by nature with a temperament to match. Don't just listen to what cross people are recommending: they might be on their first or second lurcher as well, and with Collies for example, you can get hyper lunatics, and dead calm steady dogs: it all depends on the breeding.

If your'e serious about getting a dog to suit you, have a real think about what you want to use the dog for: no sense getting a 26" bull cross with balls of steel if you want a rabbiting companion to do a bit of ferreting and lamping with. Nothing against bull crosses whatsoever, and they are usually very people orientated and fun to train, but it would be a bit like getting a top end range rover when all you need is a steady little jeep type vehicle.

Steer clear of anything with a lot of Saluki in it: they are usually harder to train and need a lot of exercise and work to keep them happy, especially when they're young.

Also consider the type of land you're going to be working the dog over: grass land? Arable: plough, drilling,stubble? Flat land or hills? Rough moors, woods?

You won't go far wrong with a good well bred Collie Greyhound type, but IMO the most versatile lurchers are often, not always, lurcher to lurcher bred and contain many different breeds which may include all the ones already mentioned.

Best thing you could do is get someone with experience to point you in the right direction, and recommend some litters to you.

• Like 1

think hard to make your choice of lurcher because its going to hopefully be with you for a long time if its just or mainly rabbits you cant go wrong with a greyhound whippet fast agile easy to keep and easty to enter for a first time owner ,

For your first lurcher you want something which is relatively easy to train, calm by nature with a temperament to match. Don't just listen to what cross people are recommending: they might be on their first or second lurcher as well, and with Collies for example, you can get hyper lunatics, and dead calm steady dogs: it all depends on the breeding.

If your'e serious about getting a dog to suit you, have a real think about what you want to use the dog for: no sense getting a 26" bull cross with balls of steel if you want a rabbiting companion to do a bit of ferreting and lamping with. Nothing against bull crosses whatsoever, and they are usually very people orientated and fun to train, but it would be a bit like getting a top end range rover when all you need is a steady little jeep type vehicle.

Steer clear of anything with a lot of Saluki in it: they are usually harder to train and need a lot of exercise and work to keep them happy, especially when they're young.

Also consider the type of land you're going to be working the dog over: grass land? Arable: plough, drilling,stubble? Flat land or hills? Rough moors, woods?

You won't go far wrong with a good well bred Collie Greyhound type, but IMO the most versatile lurchers are often, not always, lurcher to lurcher bred and contain many different breeds which may include all the ones already mentioned.

Best thing you could do is get someone with experience to point you in the right direction, and recommend some litters to you.

very good advice mate my saluki cross is a handful and needs alot of stimulation, it's probably best to go down the lines of collie grey