Just been granted permission

as many are reluctant to authorise for fox, due to it being a RF.

It's a strange old world, more foxes have been killed over the years with a .22rf than any other calibre (IMHO) and granted more foxes are likely to have been injured with the .22rf than any other calibre but IMHO that's down to the shooter and not the calibre. In days of old, if I may call them that. Most keepers would have done their rounds with a .22rf to hand and after all it's their livelihood, the birds I mean.

I'm not exactly sure when or who deemed rim fires not to be suitable for foxes, I'll hold my hands up and say I have shot and killed plenty with the first shot, not recalling any that have been injured. I was out lamping with a mate the other night, one rabbit and a fox in every field. I complained about the foxes and he said " Can't shoot'um with the .22rf it's cruel ", being a relitivly new shooter and having never shot a fox, I did wonder what he had based his opinion on. Having other options, I can sit back and say that my .22rf isn't the best tool in the box for fox control and in fact 'fox' has been removed from my issuing conditions on my FAC, which is a shame because by warrant, I can now only use my .243" to legally shoot foxes even at 20 yard ranges. Mrs HZ and I were sat down the other night, watching "Swamp people", I don't watch a whole lot of twaddle in the box, but found it very interesting that they guys were dispatching Alligators with the little .22rf, in a land where they could use a 7.62 AK47, they choose to use the little .22rf.

Strange old world.

John

• Like 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get off your high horse, I state an opinion and have a bit of banter with Coldweld and you jump right in here spouting about ex-forces self proclaimed snipers! I dont see me typing anything of the sor

It's a strange old world, more foxes have been killed over the years with a .22rf than any other calibre (IMHO) and granted more foxes are likely to have been injured with the .22rf than any other cal

Totally agree. When I was gamekeeping in the late 70's and 80's thats all I used, a semi auto, BRNO .22rf, that and shotgun of course..... and I bet more foxes have been injured with shotgun than any rimfire, without any regulation, apart from guidelines as to what bore or shot size you must use!!

John, because what I used to do for a living did infact involve good use of a lot of different firearms and couldnt be arse to be drawn in to a cock measuring contest with Coldweld who listed his possession of so many different calibres as well as hand guns.

And again I never spouted any bullshit about ex-forces sniper, you did I think, As for trying to bring in to play an 'emotive subject in to a missguided point''???

What missguided point? that 17HMR is a good versatile calibre?

So I could have just said yea I have shot this this this oh and this blah blah blah arent i great, that however would be bullshit, me having been in the army is not bullshit.

Read your posts again , you are guilty of all the above accusations ! Don't Call me Mate . Try to be an individual that your Regiment would be proud off !

Not an Ex Sqaddie with an Attitude Problem ,

Oh and by the way if you want to play with your cock thats up to you but leave mine out of it please.

lads, we have just had a load of wasted days on another section (deer poachers) with blokes arguing the toss ,its supposed to be for advice and the odd tale or two, everyones has to offer different advice but it seems that nearly every forum listing we go on lately its just full of whats supposed to be mature hunting folk whom are lucky enough to own and use firearms, arguing over what seems so trivial to help the rest of the community,

atb pipcock