Jagd terrier

Guest FTBBTH

i thought id help with the confusion of the terms, im not instigating nor teaching, no need to bow down but thanks for being humble

. Lol wasnt being humble just dont know nothing about the subject know you lot do. So would not make out i do. Little bit more than grit bud going down a deep boran or rock pile to face a foe and stay there till dug to We call it bottle Quarter the size of a apb. But hearts of lions I draw no comparisons As i only know what i know

Don't forget gonetoearth, the pitch black & you are not laid down next to the dog shouting encouragement in its ear!

Game? I think so.......

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The future...

A dog that does what it was bred to do day-in, and day-out is a good dog..... nothing more.... nothing less. In doing so it earns it's name and some respect. It also earns it's place on the yard, and

Posted Images

A dog that does what it was bred to do day-in, and day-out is a good dog..... nothing more.... nothing less. In doing so it earns it's name and some respect. It also earns it's place on the yard, and after time and some success, MAYBE the right to breed.

I don't understand the desire to label an earth/hunting dog as game.....These little warriors deserve better. The tasks expected of them are no less demanding than those of a bulldog..... they are partly responsible for the EXISTENCE of the bulldog, and in this day and age their existence is as threatened as that of the true bulldog.

It's difficult to describe with a single word my level of respect for what these terriers accomplish. They are NOT machines... but some of them take to work like they think they are, and most who see them do... WHAT THEY WERE BRED TO BE... are blown away by their, (for lack of a better word) courage. But courage doesn't even come close to doing them justice!

I've buried four this year that gladly gave their last breath to do what they were born to do. They don't need bull blood or descriptions used to describe it....They don't even care if you give them the respect they earn. They just want the opportunity to work, and a pat on the head for a job well done.

They are in a league of their own and deserve no less respect than the gamest of bulldogs. JM2Centavos.

Edit to say that I am describing working terriers in general... not specifically the jagdterrier

Edited by jawn
  • Like 5

There are very few GOOD jagdterriers in the states. By good I mean good in the traditional sense.

There is one that is a complete and utter freak of nature that has been hunted to ground most of his life. He's been hunted in brush piles and free cast. He isn't a particularly good tracker.... but he tracks and locates well enough.

His name is Alfi od Plavog Korala and he is a straight up killer. He bites like a bulldog and will shake a coon out of his own hide. He is some kind of Jurrassic Park freak type throwback sht..... and he's under twenty pounds.

He's getting on up in age now... probably around eight and one look is all it takes to see that he's had his share. When I had him he took very little damage from our twenty pounders and killed every last one of them.

He's with a friend of mine in Michigan now and I don't know what his plans are. But if I were looking that would be where I started if complete and utter destruction of procyon lotor was what I was after.

did a search and theres a video on youtube of that dog

did anyone else find the lost monkey. :icon_eek: . ive been hunting those for many a year and rarely miss one. :laugh::laugh:

what problems are there in this breed. that should be watched for. (are there any genetic problems ) i have to say they do come across as an impressive working terrier.

i'm sure genuine working terrier lads over here are looking very closely at them. :yes:

did anyone else find the lost monkey. :icon_eek: . ive been hunting those for many a year and rarely miss one. :laugh::laugh:

what problems are there in this breed. that should be watched for. (are there any genetic problems ) i have to say they do come across as an impressive working terrier.

i'm sure genuine working terrier lads over here are looking very closely at them. :yes:

I must admit since I've been on the continent I got all exited about the possibility of owning one, but hunting land seems so incredibly hard to get in belgium, I don't think I could do one justice! I've been looking at them for a couple of years now, I'd love to get out with someone who works these dogs....

I must admit since I've been on the continent I got all exited about the possibility of owning one, but hunting land seems so incredibly hard to get in belgium, I don't think I could do one justice! I've been looking at them for a couple of years now, I'd love to get out with someone who works these dogs....

If you have a hunting license you can buy day's on driven boar hunts in the ardenne from there you can make friend and open the doors into a hunting combination , you also can buy 4 or more dogs and go beating 25€ a day a dog and free foot and drinks

• Like 1

If you have a hunting license you can buy day's on driven boar hunts in the ardenne from there you can make friend and open the doors into a hunting combination , you also can buy 4 or more dogs and go beating 25€ a day a dog and free foot and drinks

Yeh the only thing with the hunting licence kaas, is that it includes shooting & you need to speak fluent French, neither of which I do at the moment! Or have I got that wrong? Also I was thinking more on the lines of earth work......not just with jagd but with any terrier. I've only looked into hunting regarding hawks so far in belgium & it's a far cry from England, but I'm here for a long time, so I will have to sort something out, thanks for the tip.....

They are remarkable little dogs. I have a few down here and they have proven to be excellent all rounders. They have a very high prey drive, excellent noses and above all, they trail bark which is what I need for hunting Sambar. The only genetic issues I am aware of is PLL (Primary Lens Luxation) in some lines. The problem affects the eyes in many terrier breeds including some Jagd Terriers.

Considering the origin of the breed, which is relatively new, I am surprised they haven't come to the notice of UK hunters sooner?

• Like 2

They are remarkable little dogs. I have a few down here and they have proven to be excellent all rounders. They have a very high prey drive, excellent noses and above all, they trail bark which is what I need for hunting Sambar. The only genetic issues I am aware of is PLL (Primary Lens Luxation) in some lines. The problem affects the eyes in many terrier breeds including some Jagd Terriers.

Considering the origin of the breed, which is relatively new, I am surprised they haven't come to the notice of UK hunters sooner?

Well I think they are now, and jagd are in the uk, but still when I speak to guys in the uk, many have never heard of them,

also they may not suit a lot of guys & there style of hunting. Certainly where I'm from in England one major problem is badgers, in the last 20years the population has gone through the roof, so having such a terrier hunting on top could present quite a risk to the average hunter, all the areas we used to freely hunt foxes are now over run with badgers, the lads I know have to be really carefull now.....

• Like 2

We faced the same problem with PLL! Until recently, no one paid any attention to it. Now it is one of the first questions when interesting dog.