any gardeners or tree sorts on here ?

You can move any tree, as long as you do it right.

Trench round it now, then back fill, then actually move the thing late autumn. Then use something called a platerpus root ball holder, instead of a steak

water it untold in dry periods the following year, and you should be fine.

If the old boy isn't up for the job, and you ain't, with your mullered back, pay some one who can do it.

Its a Platipus underground guying kit your on about I think mate. This big acer had one on it that we'd had to do for a demonstration and then some tw@ ordered the tree and it was a nightmare to dig.

I dig root balled trees (not conifers admittedly) for a living and if it was mine i'd give it a go but not until the winter, how thick is the trunk on it? When we buy in root balled conifers from abroad they have tiny root balls on them. There is a chance it will die but if its that or cutting it down its worth the risk. I had to do it with a big monkey puzzle this spring and its still aliveand that was without a proper root ball on it, stuck it in a pot and kept it well watered, if it survives till next spring i'll be able to sell it for £900 ish :thumbs:DSC04275.jpg

If i think where you work

Dont be bending over while richard is around ;)

Too right mate although he know's to stay the feck away :icon_eek:

Thanks for your opinions.....im still none the wiser but thanks anyway :D

Well ive had a gardener round today who said pretty much what Christian said,reckons it will look fine for a few weeks then will start going brown from bottom to top......i also had a tree surgeon round who said it should be fine :blink: .......he took measurements,its just over 7 foot high,18 foot circumference and the stump is 20 inches circumference he said any bigger and it probably wouldnt survive.....turns out its a dwarf conifer he came out with some long scientific name reckons its worth a few bob as well......according to my neighbor it was planted around 1990 making it just over 20 years old.

Im in complete limbo with it if i move it and it dies the ol woman will kick the shit out of me....if i dont move it my little project go,s down the toilet.............i thought it might be a straightforward black and white answer but it seems even within the gardening game its a matter of opinion.............probably end up tossing a coin :hmm:

Well ive had a gardener round today who said pretty much what Christian said,reckons it will look fine for a few weeks then will start going brown from bottom to top......i also had a tree surgeon round who said it should be fine :blink: .......he took measurements,its just over 7 foot high,18 foot circumference and the stump is 20 inches circumference he said any bigger and it probably wouldnt survive.....turns out its a dwarf conifer he came out with some long scientific name reckons its worth a few bob as well......according to my neighbor it was planted around 1990 making it just over 20 years old.

Im in complete limbo with it if i move it and it dies the ol woman will kick the shit out of me....if i dont move it my little project go,s down the toilet.............i thought it might be a straightforward black and white answer but it seems even within the gardening game its a matter of opinion.............probably end up tossing a coin :hmm:

chainsaw TIMBAAAAAAAAAR new tree some were else :boogy:

• Like 1

I'll toss the coin for you heads it stays in tails it gets moved are you ready

Tails mate

Come back in a few weeks and let us know :thumbs:

i think i would have a go at moveing it as people have said all types of conifer have spreading roots near the surface do as the othere guys say and dig a trench around

the tree about a foot deep or 30cm then leave a hose pipe running all night in it then the hole tree should become very loose only cut roots that you have to best of luck

they conifers grow like f**k.a few year back i got two for a fiver at asda.wee tiny things.there a fair size now.

Well apparently these leylandi things we have as a hedge grow around 3 foot a year if left untrimmed........but this little f****r i want rid of.... according to the tree surgeons calculations grows between 2 and 4 inches a year !

Anyway ive been on the phone to him and he,s moving it while we,re away on holiday next week so if i get back and its dead..................i,ll do a u turn and head for the Mexican border !......cheers chaps :thumbs:

by the way.....how much to do it ? 500 sheets :icon_eek: ......i said what if it dies,he said i,ll give you half back..................yeah if you can find me :D

they conifers grow like f**k.a few year back i got two for a fiver at asda.wee tiny things.there a fair size now.

Well apparently these leylandi things we have as a hedge grow around 3 foot a year if left untrimmed........but this little f****r i want rid of.... according to the tree surgeons calculations grows between 2 and 4 inches a year !

Anyway ive been on the phone to him and he,s moving it while we,re away on holiday next week so if i get back and its dead..................i,ll do a u turn and head for the Mexican border !......cheers chaps :thumbs:

by the way.....how much to do it ? 500 sheets :icon_eek: ......i said what if it dies,he said i,ll give you half back..................yeah if you can find me :D

£500 :icon_eek: F**k me, you could plant a forest for that :laugh: Mexico is a good destination, tequila :drink:

Wow gnasher,thats a hefty price for moving a bush lol

In all fairness,thats 2 of them doing it,a mini digger.....digging out the new hole and whatever else go,s with it........

Dunno he might be pulling my pants down i dont much care just as long as im not responsible !

f**k that mate, at a monkey I would get some c**t to cut it down while your away and tell the old woman it got struck by lightening!!..........a bottle on a couple of decent new trees and your still 300 quid better off!

Edited by WILF