15 to much mate wont see ya there.

Michael that is your choice. We believe that €15 is value for money considering all the competitions, demonstrations, attractions and stands that will be at the show. Our price is also in line with most other large events with one exception, we do not charge for children as long as they are accompanied by an adult.

You still reckon its good value?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Graham think you are missing the point, no disrespect to the judges, but if you want to attract dog men to a show you have to demonstrate that you are willing to bring on board reputable judges, fact,

I HAPPEN TO WORK MY DOGS ALL WINTER EVERY WINTER TOASTY SO YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW ME. JUDGES ARE HARD TO GET THESE DAYS AND ITS NOT SURPRISING WITH ALL THE BAD MOUTHING THAT GOES ON. MAYBE YOU CO

First of all allow me to state my intent; I have no great desire to attend any meeting regarding the Ballinlough Game fair, period. The complaints regarding the show should act as a guideline for you

Posted Images

It was surely a poor fair this year.

Shame, as the first 2, were good, wont be going again.

i only went cause i was free in :laugh:

picked up a very docile large polecat hob as a pet and to bring to the local heritage day for the kids to see and handle under supervision (its nearly tradition for me to bring ferrets to it)

saw a jill that was just what i was looking for but she wasnt for sale :no: (on the ferret stand next to athboy gun club)

the constant rain didnt help either but nowt can be done about that

ye carraghsgem i said hello to ya ur collie gave me more attension

It was surely a poor fair this year.

Shame, as the first 2, were good, wont be going again.

i only went cause i was free in :laugh:

picked up a very docile large polecat hob as a pet and to bring to the local heritage day for the kids to see and handle under supervision (its nearly tradition for me to bring ferrets to it)

saw a jill that was just what i was looking for but she wasnt for sale :no: (on the ferret stand next to athboy gun club)

the constant rain didnt help either but nowt can be done about that

ye carraghsgem i said hello to ya ur collie gave me more attension

where/what time was this?

Lads these shows are only as good as the people who turn up it's not the judges fault if theres a bad turn out but the price of food at all the game fairs is a rip off but thats nothing to do with lurcher and terrier side of things

Graham think you are missing the point, no disrespect to the judges, but if you want to attract dog men to a show you have to demonstrate that you are willing to bring on board reputable judges, fact, which the show sadly lacked in this department, I don't blame the judges on the day, they were asked to judge a show.

In order to run a show that has credibility among the hunting (DOG) fraternity you must be prepared to allocate funds to this section of the show in order to ensure that the show the judging and the results are fair, and it was quiet evident that the organisers in their wisdom came to the conclusion that the Lurcher/Terrier section of the show was less of an attraction than other events, and of less importance. When you send out these types of signals to the hunting fraternity you and your show has lost its credibility.

i had trouble locating the terriers and lurchers, i was at the other end of the grounds helping out with the poultry display (no signs for that either) but the terriers and lurchers were well tucked away out of sight not even a sign letting you know it was there.

Agree 100%, tucked away in a corner, I think that the show should just drop the lurcher/terrier section, are we frowned upon as dog men by some?

just aswell i didn't go,i was like a b*****d yesterday cause i couldn't get to it,don't feel so bad now hearing that

I have to whole heartily agree with the sentiments of the previous contributors regards the show, complete and utter waste of time.

The entrance fee did not reflect the value for money that was expected from the show, the lack of quality judges was evident for all to see, mind you the terrier judge was some what fair in his approach, the lurcher judging was a farce, my blood was boiling when the over all winner was announced, talk about keeping it close to home, but then again when you have judges who allegedly judge their own dog what do you expect.

The show should be renamed to Ballinbollix, because that's what the show was, a load of bollix, rant over, will never attend again.

John are ye talking about the dog that was picked as the top lurcher on the day or are you talking about the all Ireland championship that was held at the end of the day in the main arena?

Lads these shows are only as good as the people who turn up it's not the judges fault if theres a bad turn out but the price of food at all the game fairs is a rip off but thats nothing to do with lurcher and terrier side of things

did ye have a good day yourself? that pup was awful cute...

yeah Gem had a good day it could of been much better if there was a bigger turn out on the day.

I was on the shooting section of www. boards.ie and their of the same mind.The show was a terrible failure.The consensus was the stalls were riping people off,very little to see there.I am glad i didnt make it now :D

Having just returned late last night from Ballinlough Castle, I am now just reading the feedback regarding the show. I have to say that I am somewhat surprised by the negativity in these comments since neither me personally, nor my co-director, were made aware of any of your issues on the day; in fact the feedback I received from your fellow competitors while over in the Lurcher & Terrier area was very positive. However, we thank you for pointing out your concerns and you can be assured that we will listen to what you have to say.

I would now personally like to invite the following people from the forum who raised concerns to meet with us, at a venue convenient to you anywhere in Ireland, to discuss how you feel we can improve this event for the future. We are not asking for your name but would ask that you private message us with a contact number so that we can set up a meeting with you:

Michael Rennicks

Fat Man

Skinny

Bullcross13

Toasty

Cheeky Pup

Auldboy

Alan626

Irish Lurcher

Mackel

Mad4digging

Carraghsgem

Kegs

Blue One

Unlike the show in Moira, the Ballinlough Castle Country Fair is a young event, only in its third year. We do however strive to have the same standard of lurcher & terrier event at both shows. I consciously moved the L&T events to directly beside the main entrance point this year so that everyone attending the show was walking in right beside the L&T arena. I am well aware that you all like to park ringside and this is the closest point to the centre of the fair that allows ringside parking and is also suitable to race dogs and have your show rings.

With regards to judging, I personally was in the main arena when the All Ireland Champion Lurcher, Terrier and Whippet were being picked and I can assure you that from my experience of working lurchers and terriers over the years, I would have had a very tough decision and would have quite willingly taken any of those dogs home with me, including the whippets. Judging is down to personal choice of that particular judge on that particular day. I are already looking at a number of ideas to ensure that judges are not the same at all events. With this in mind, rather than come on and criticise judges, I am more than willing to accept suggestions from you for judges at future events but they must have experience working the particular dogs they would intend to judge.

In relation to there being less at the show, well this year in addition to the usual produce, crafts, shooting & fishing stands (including 10 from overseas) and the usual gundogs, clay pigeon shooting and main arena acts (3 of which were brought in from overseas), new this year to the Ballinlough Fair was the Hunt Chase, Dog Agility, Pet Show, Ferret Racing & Showing, Gundog Snooker and the Poultry Show & Sale.

I am sure we can all agree that prices are up everywhere and this is no different for traders. They have to incur significant fuel costs to bring stock the length and breadth of the country to shows like ours but there were bargains to be had and I heard of plenty. They simply cannot keep costs at what they were 5 or 10 years ago. However if game fairs and shows like ours are to survive then this is a price we all may have to pay.

I look forward to your pms.

Derek Lutton

Edited by IrishNationalCountryFairs

come to the show in westmeath next week derek,my name is there in front of you.i say most of the people you want will be there.look forward to hear from you.

michael i would like to have got to kevin em show but unforunately the pheasants for our shoot are arriving this weekend and this will rule out me being able to get to his show. what others are coming up that you think a lot of these lads and ladies will be attending?

come to the show in westmeath next week derek,my name is there in front of you.i say most of the people you want will be there.look forward to hear from you.

michael i would like to have got to kevin em show but unforunately the pheasants for our shoot are arriving this weekend and this will rule out me being able to get to his show. what others are coming up that you think a lot of these lads and ladies will be attending?

seriously, kevins show next sunday going by last year is "the show" to go and see, if you can get someone to cover for you for a couple of hours it will show you exactly what terrier and lurcher men/women want from a show. if you want the best for your show, learn from the best :thumbs:

the dublin working terrier club 31st july coalisland tyrone

i dont know mate not there keepers as i say not that much into the shows myself,i just thought ya over priced the show dude.i live 5 mins from it and thought it was pricy.if ya put it down by half ya got lot more to go.just my view seems lot more voted with there feet to.lot of negativity about the one in birr too from last year.who am i to tell you what to do ya should know yourself.maybe i a bit harsh there the price put me off.in the current climate every penny counts for me anyway. :thumbs:

i was there on sunday, i was there also last year and i thought €15 was ok, that was until i went on sunday, i thought there was a bad turnout from the lurchers, there wasn't as many stalls as there were last year unless you were looking for something to eat, the shows in the main arena that were put on were good for the kids and families, i went down to have a look at the lurchers and i wasn't impressed, the stalls that were there were expensive and alot of the items were of poor quality but i did manage to get a fleece top for a bargain €10, couldn't find a lamp battery, whippet collar or a ferret box. i don't think i will be going again next year, which is a shame as i liked this show last year and was going to go here instead of birr. in my opinion this show has gone backwards since last year, i have heard the westmeath working lurcher and terrier show next sunday is the place to be, and only €5 entry.