coursing dogs from the past

Is that the same tramp sparrow owned ben was he similar bred to cruiser which was the better dog?

Hi Luke mate,yes you are dead right sparrow bought Tramp from kipper aged about 5,Tramp was good on most land

dishy,Ripon Thirsk as well as Lincoln whereas Cruiser was run 99% of times at Lincoln,both were equally consistant

but imo would give it to tramp purely for the fact he did the job on medium as well as large fields :thumbs:

...Ben.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

scout won the calendar shield formerly the bury and district on the 17th dec 1989 beating g lees sadie 3-0 , that year was one of the wettest on the day i don't think any dog would of beat him on tha

THE BLACK ASSASSIN!

Posted Images

I think bri used him to produce his old stuff, i used one of those on my old late bitch to produce my old dog, so my dog must have tramp in him aswell as cruiser good to no he was a handy one, my dog also liked all types of land, cheers mate. :thumbs:

i would say salty. and for a producing dog i would go for deacon 100% threw wind

Totally agree with that. :thumbs:

Also Kippers old dogs, "Tramp" and "cruiser" were both good consistent animals,there was also a black dog "Scout" that won a northern comp i think it was the 89-90 season,can't quite remember the owners name,but pretty sure he was from Bury/Heywood area.

..Ben

Bolly owned Scout, got him off a lad in Bury at 18 months old and the young dog had seen nothing. He was a genuine 3/4 bred, being off a fist cross to one of Fred Prestons saluki's. If you ask Kipper, Wilber, Packer or any of the Manchester lads what is the best dog they've seen run its Scout, loved the heavy wet winters we seemed to get then and killed big numbers when others struggled to get a bend :yes:

P.N had his brother "Dean" another good dog, Scout was put to a few bitches and never chucked anything in the same class as himself. McHull, Deacon is a different strain to your dad,s old stuff.

Am not saying ginger frenches luke took eight hares I was on about another stud dog called luke that belong to my old man the sire or garndsire to ginger frenches luke to eves sire prince and deacon if I'm not mistaken plus numerous other salkukis all them years ago

Ayup Mac your not wrong mate that line done a lot for the coursing dogs Russ who bred Eve reckons Prince was one of the best coursing dogs hed ever owned and he had owned a fair few well known dogs at that time :thumbs:

dose any one no how cruiser was bred i have a dog with him in the beeding

Im also interested in cruiser mate, he through some good dogs as in smokey and elsi, tip tipper, i think g l burt, must be a few more good ones, i think one or 2 others in the cruiser litter were handy with feather being one, the dog in my avitar is a grandson of cruiser, he's been a great dog for me never let me down and had plenty of stick, i still worked him last season at nearly 8, he's still sound now but im gunna let him take things easier now he owes me nothin.

I used to have a couple of photos of cruiser, real smart lookin dog he was and looked as fit as fit can be :thumbs:

i would say salty. and for a producing dog i would go for deacon 100% threw wind

Also Kippers old dogs, "Tramp" and "cruiser" were both good consistent animals,there was also a black dog "Scout" that won a northern comp i think it was the 89-90 season,can't quite remember the owners name,but pretty sure he was from Bury/Heywood area.

..Ben

Bolly owned Scout, got him off a lad in Bury at 18 months old and the young dog had seen nothing. He was a genuine 3/4 bred, being off a fist cross to one of Fred Prestons saluki's. If you ask Kipper, Wilber, Packer or any of the Manchester lads what is the best dog they've seen run its Scout, loved the heavy wet winters we seemed to get then and killed big numbers when others struggled to get a bend :yes:

P.N had his brother "Dean" another good dog, Scout was put to a few bitches and never chucked anything in the same class as himself. McHull, Deacon is a different strain to your dad,s old stuff.

bolly got scout from a lad in rochdale breed by k c if my memory serves me right, p.n dean was not in the same league scout was the father to G.L sergent & D.B max, and yes i seen all 4 of them run

bolly got scout from a lad in rochdale breed by k c if my memory serves me right, p.n dean was not in the same league scout was the father to G.L sergent & D.B max, and yes i seen all 4 of them run

Some great knowledgeable info there mate,good stuff. :thumbs:

Ben.

..Ben

Never said Dean was in the same class, but a good dog by all accounts. Didn't have the privilege of seeing scout run in the flesh only on video,but the lad i go rabbiting week in week out travelled with Bolly for four seasons and confirmed what every one to a man will tell ya ( who saw him run) outstanding ;)

Saw Sargent run a few times and i stand by what i say........ Scout never through as good as himself.

D.B Max? Only know of B.W Max out of Dean?

Thanks for the info BE can you post some more on how Scout ran, PM if you prefer :thumbs:

Edited by miles

scout won the calendar shield formerly the bury and district on the 17th dec 1989 beating g lees sadie 3-0 , that year was one of the wettest on the day i don't think any dog would of beat him on that day ,he love the heavy going g.lees sadie did not, we then matched him against micky dreus and clive amoss dog scooby for £500 on the 7th jan 1990 scout won 2-1 ,on the day i would say scooby was the better dog we had the luck , scooby run her first hare for 6 minuets then we had a load of trouble it was a good 2/3 hours before she ran again, how scout killed his third hare god only know as it was pulling away from him it was a good 150/200 yards in front of him then it did something stupid turned and ran towards him i can see it now, so that's how it gos we had luck on our side, scout looked tired we reckoned he had peeked , i saw scout kill a lot of hares by shear strength

• Like 2

scout won the calendar shield formerly the bury and district on the 17th dec 1989 beating g lees sadie 3-0 , that year was one of the wettest on the day i don't think any dog would of beat him on that day ,he love the heavy going g.lees sadie did not, we then matched him against micky dreus and clive amoss dog scooby for £500 on the 7th jan 1990 scout won 2-1 ,on the day i would say scooby was the better dog we had the luck , scooby run her first hare for 6 minuets then we had a load of trouble it was a good 2/3 hours before she ran again, how scout killed his third hare god only know as it was pulling away from him it was a good 150/200 yards in front of him then it did something stupid turned and ran towards him i can see it now, so that's how it gos we had luck on our side, scout looked tired we reckoned he had peeked , i saw scout kill a lot of hares by shear strength

good description of match against scooby, i was there that day also,

week or two later scooby died while running a hare on heavy going at gedney hill.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, thought i would have my 10 pence worth since its my first post, ive seen some quality dogs run over the last 20 years like captain,splodge,beau,benji,lucky, and going further back a dog called spider, too many to name but one of the most consistent was a dog called snatch the litter brother of captain owned by oggy. after all, all dogs should be judged after a few seasons and not after a dozen outings.