do people still see hunting with hounds as an upper class sport?

i think you will find on here that there are a lot of lads who work full time for packs or part time but they never mention it because there are a lot of idiots watching this site.

as for the class gap then yes there are snobs who hunt but 99.9% of the people i meet when out with all our local packs are very down to earth lads and lasses.hunting is for some is a way of life and as long as it keeps going then people from all walks of life are welcome.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the trouble is the press dont want to realise that times have changed since you had to be someone and have money to hunt .here in wales there are loads of footpacks and gunpacks and not a toff or rich money wise person among them that i know of. as a few have said theres more up their own arse in shooting than there ever is in hunting .as for the tweed comments my opinion on that is theres nothing wrong with keeping tradion same as the hunt s do in fact ime all for tradition in hunting because its the one thing we still have that hasnt changed over the years.also try going knocking for permission to run your lurchers terriers hounds etc itis easier to get dressed half tidy than going in trackie and trainers .ime not saying it should be but it certainly is .anyway bollox to blair and his ban.lol.

the trouble is the press dont want to realise that times have changed since you had to be someone and have money to hunt .here in wales there are loads of footpacks and gunpacks and not a toff or rich money wise person among them that i know of. as a few have said theres more up their own arse in shooting than there ever is in hunting .as for the tweed comments my opinion on that is theres nothing wrong with keeping tradion same as the hunt s do in fact ime all for tradition in hunting because its the one thing we still have that hasnt changed over the years.also try going knocking for permission to run your lurchers terriers hounds etc itis easier to get dressed half tidy than going in trackie and trainers .ime not saying it should be but it certainly is .anyway bollox to blair and his ban.lol.

Good points Boyo, the falconers seem to do ok for permission and they still wear traditional attire.

ATB D

Guest Leveller

I think from the outside looking in "Joe Public" would definetly see mounted followers as rich snobby types however anybody who's ever actualy been hunting and experienced it first hand would know that there really are all walks of life. I know some very wealthy people that hunt and I also know others who slogg their guts out working very hard to enable them to be able to keep a horse to go hunting unfortunately the media would never interview the latter so that side of the hunting field is never shown.

Class only seems to come into field sports when either the media-TV so called celebs-and politicians try to talk about it which just shows how ignorant and detached from the countryside they really are.They should put more time into sorting the problems on their own doorsteps in their towns an cities.IE- Drugs- old people dying every year from the cold- Child abuse-Stabbings- etc etc etc, But they don't want to see these problems they want to demonstrate about subjects they have no idea about IE country sports.

I have always found hunting to be class-less, you can see everyone from multi millionaires to farm labourers stood chatting like the good friends they most likely are.

There is a form to observe of course when hunting, but that is tradition and no bad thing IMHO.

You will of course encounter the odd dick, but that has got nothing to do with class...... they crop up in all walks of life.

i dont see it as "upper class" ive met loads of lads who are down to earth and many working class, i only know 1 arrogant rich c**t who goes hunting with hounds, guess its the luck of the draw, ive seen more rich arrogant shooters, ya know the ones prancing around in tweed at gamefairs :whistling:

yeah shooting way worse...dont you know tweeds all the fashion now ..lol

My old man wishes it was its mostly produced on the Isle of Lewis and he usually only works 6 months a year.thumbs.gif

cheers Callum

yeah not mad bout tweed but my dad when hes getting dressed smart still wears moleskins dealer boots nice check shirt and waistcoat...looks dead smart i think love that look on a guy but not always practical in summer ..

yeah not mad bout tweed but my dad when hes getting dressed smart still wears moleskins dealer boots nice check shirt and waistcoat...looks dead smart i think love that look on a guy but not always practical in summer ..

nothing wrong with the tweed, of course i never wear it :whistling:

I think from the outside looking in "Joe Public" would definetly see mounted followers as rich snobby types however anybody who's ever actualy been hunting and experienced it first hand would know that there really are all walks of life. I know some very wealthy people that hunt and I also know others who slogg their guts out working very hard to enable them to be able to keep a horse to go hunting unfortunately the media would never interview the latter so that side of the hunting field is never shown.

yeah this is exactly what annoys me about media coverage about hunting they try to make out most people that hunt have a horse and that its country versus town thing and its rubbish but it totally works into the anti hunting peoples hands.. :thumbdown::thumbdown::wallbash:

most hunting clothes were brought out initially for a reson ie warmth comfort etc the fact they look like they do is or was not the issue . in the coursing club i ran in club tie and proper dress was not optional but a must ..now the in thing seems to be realtree camo looks and feels comfortable most of the time but not really needed all the time especially at a gamefair or show .

most hunting clothes were brought out initially for a reson ie warmth comfort etc the fact they look like they do is or was not the issue . in the coursing club i ran in club tie and proper dress was not optional but a must ..now the in thing seems to be realtree camo looks and feels comfortable most of the time but not really needed all the time especially at a gamefair or show .

yep know what you mean ..they were all for a reason...just saying i think it looks nice too whereas alot see it as oldfashioned..anythings beeter than tracksuits tucked into socks and kappa...lol

Been out with a few pack's as G.T.E said once your exepted (not class exepted, exepted as bein there for the right reason)ive found people spot on , where the rich rub shoulders with the workin class , ive had some terrific days out with hounds from the Lake District to South Wales and met some really good people .

• 3 months later...

I know of several lasses who live in the middle of council estates who work damm hard to fund their passion for mounted hunting. the press etc never realise that it is a wide mix of cultural backgrounds that is found in the field nowadays, My missus has a knackered old nag thats she occaisionaly rides to hounds and we certainly aint rich or upper class.

99% of the sabs i have dealt with only do it because they think they are in some sort of class war,

TALLY HO

P