4 x4 lamping

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to be honest mate if i was a pedo or a murderer or as you say burglar the plods would think more of me and i dont give a toss who reading this site im a poacher so what dont give a fck for the b

on foot mate but iv only a bit of permission and wouldnt have the cheek to drive onto somebodys land and make sh*t of it

Walk when im lamping it warms the dog up at the same time

I do both, Walking for pleasure and sport on my permission on Sundays during the season and driving for pest control on a friends permission.

We go out most Friday's throughout the year in the back of a truck with a couple of friends and their rifles when the estate cuts the silage off, take the crops down etc. and then all through the winter, we can cover a few thousand acres in a night.

I use the dog to retrieve anything shot from the back of the truck as it's usually quicker than us jumping out everytime to get it but can also run her as much as I like. Basically I can get more game put in front of my dog than she could ever handle.

It's NOT sport, it's pest control, there's no real art in it, you just drive around the edge of a field and slip the dog off the back of a truck. If it's stationary then they'll shoot it, if it's moving or an unsafe shot then the dogs slipped. I never slip from a moving vehicle though.

As for warming up the dog, as you drive offroad the dog is getting constantly bumped about so has to work to keep balanced, I've noticed this warms their muscles up a fair amount (I'm usually cuddled against them to keep warm! :laugh: ) although this doesn't stretch their muscles out. The dog might be slightly cool on the first run, but will be running so frequently that they never really cool down after that.

Just remember to take plenty of water with you.

Walking is a lot harder to get right, quarry doesn't seem so scared of a slow moving, easily spotted, noisey vehicle but any noise of you walking through the grass will have their heads up and looking about. But at the end of the day you just can't beat getting out in the field with just you and your dog for a quiet stroll.

Obviously you can also get to places that would normally be out of bounds for vehicles! :whistling:

and then theirs injurys that come flinging your dog out of windows at 30 mile hour ,prefer 2 walk .

thats why you train your dog to jump out the window never known any 1 to throw them out, and the point is gain as much ground on your quarry then stop motor and out goes dog.

But I would say there is alot more chances of injurys when working dog from motor

I must say if i was a burgler i wouldn't tell folk on facebook, and if i was a poacher i wouldn't type it on a forum watched by the police with 33,000 members, but hey thats just me........

to be honest mate if i was a pedo or a murderer or as you say burglar the plods would think more of me and i dont give a toss who reading this site im a poacher so what dont give a fck for the ban the plods and any think else poacher till a die

i think you have it the wrong way round. for poaching they'll slam you for been a peado you'll get a slapped wrist.

and then theirs injurys that come flinging your dog out of windows at 30 mile hour ,prefer 2 walk .

thats why you train your dog to jump out the window never known any 1 to throw them out, and the point is gain as much ground on your quarry then stop motor and out goes dog.

But I would say there is alot more chances of injurys when working dog from motor

but is that not defeating the object having a running dog?i know what you saying your catch rate should be a lot higher ,did,nt tip get his leg caught in the seatbelt before doing the same ?and yes i agree more chance of injury working dogs out of moter :thumbs:

lot of good comments for and against lamping from motor as ive had to lamp from motor last season as leg was still acting up have seen that you can get more done in 1 night and get far better bags of quarry but i still think the old walking up on gear best ive seen some scary near misses with car and my dogs and to be honest the price of fuel ben so high limits the amount of times i personaly can go out per week in the ideal world id love to drive couple nights a week then walk acouple nights i think it takes awhile for your dogs to ajust to lamping from car and would think it very hard to train pups this from start but thats only my views and a supose given enough chances at it can be done what i like about driving is your not stuck in an area were the game is thin on the ground you can move to more land and try again and again if need be ive walked the fields now for 16 plus years and been done twice for poaching but if i was to loose my car through driving fields id soon knock the drive by lamping and go back to walking cant stop poaching dont intend to no matter what without me dogs and my nights out lamping id be dunn right in fck them who try to fck us and fck the ban

i dont see how its always possible to put more game in front of the dog by driving round. ive been out with lads who ride round on a quad and the quarry here the quad and they are off for cover before you are even in the field. they know what the sound of the motor means after a while.

• Like 1

Hia mate. I do a bit of both to be honest. My permission depend on what method I/we use. If for example were lamping the hilly 750 acre sheep farm we have got, then we will take the L200, simply because we can cover a lot more ground, put all the quarry we shoot in the back of the truck and, its quiet nice to sit and have the heater on in the cold cold january nights.

On the other hand, most of my permission i have i walk. We dont have massive farm but there just ok to cover on foot. We can execute a nights lamping quieter that the truck, get to more places and work a fox a bit easier than with the truck.

Its a bit of both for me mate, but, if i had to pick between the two, it would have to be walking, no matter how many rabbits you are carrying, or however hard it is raining i still enjoy a night walking. :thumbs:

right lads what do you think of the modern lampers who dont tend to walk any more and go of road in 4x4 motors ive tried both myself and to be honest walking is the best way but can see the advantages of the 4x4 lampers and at present im also driving fields as i broke my leg in two places while out walking fields lamping 18 month ago and its still not right so rather than stop im driving but love the old way and will get back to it asap

Hi mate alot of my land is apple orchards and hop yards so easyer to drive them and shoot them with the rimy i also have a lot of land i walk and run my lurcher bitch and i use my rimy

Hi mate, didn't mean to sound pissy but most of my land is on hills there are a few fields on the flat but there's not many house,s around

you use a rimfire in orchards!!!!:wallbash: im glad i dnt live near those orchards

whats wrong with that you dont know where any of my land is or what terrain it is so dont try and make out I'm unsafe with any kind of weapon ive been hunting and shooting for over 30 years thats alot lnger than most of the twxxs on

This site this is the reason why dont post that much

not disputing that you are safe mate,i just wouldnt use my rimfire in any orchard,too much chance of a deflection for my liking! atb and happy hunting,shushy :thumbs:

but is that not defeating the object having a running dog?i know what you saying your catch rate should be a lot higher ,did,nt tip get his leg caught in the seatbelt before doing the same ?and yes i agree more chance of injury working dogs out of moter :thumbs:

I mate ended up under the back wheel good job hes a strong dog or he wouldnt be hear now, and I supose it does defeat the object of the stalking your prey but there is advantages also ie you can follow the chase so if theres any brows or dips in field you dont loose it out the lamp another advantage is once the dogs out you can speed ahead and cut your quarry off and turn it back into field if its heading for cover.

I prefer to walk field but you cant beat a bit of off roading now and again

I mate ended up under the back wheel good job hes a strong dog or he wouldnt be hear now, and I supose it does defeat the object of the stalking your prey but there is advantages also ie you can follow the chase so if theres any brows or dips in field you dont loose it out the lamp another advantage is once the dogs out you can speed ahead and cut your quarry off and turn it back into field if its heading for cover.

I prefer to walk field but you cant beat a bit of off roading now and again

i drive hunting mostly you see a lot more stuff and am lazy :tongue2: