Deleted

It's a chunk of money for most people these days but at least you wouldn't have to do anything while they were still kits, giving you time to get the pennies together.

Also vets don't usually like spaying jills while they're in season as the operation is harder to do with some increased risk to the jill so the jill(s) would need to get through their first season one way or another.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no its a fair point dotty u got a buyer and a target , i agree locators r great but theres a limit u can dig lol .the average starter can still enjoy the sport without being pressured in to buying exp

just for anyone that thinks keeping a jill in season all year is ok, this is what can happen http://starescue.org.uk/#/willow/4546656754

so is the whole the jill will die if not mated or spayed thing a myth? obviously I wouldnt want any harm to come to it but yeah.. for the sake of 40 quid though I probably will just spay them so its not stuck in season for a while.

I was also considering getting an anti social ferret from a ferret shelter but id rather two and a few people have said ferret shelter ferrets arnt usually the best option.

At the minute its looking like ill go with a jill and a hob and then ill get the hob a vasectomy. Either that or two hobs and getting them both done before they go into rut one towards the end of this year and one just before it goes in. Ive read that hobs are more suited together as they will play figh tand all of that.

Decisions decisions.

so is the whole the jill will die if not mated or spayed thing a myth? obviously I wouldnt want any harm to come to it but yeah.. for the sake of 40 quid though I probably will just spay them so its not stuck in season for a while.

I was also considering getting an anti social ferret from a ferret shelter but id rather two and a few people have said ferret shelter ferrets arnt usually the best option.

At the minute its looking like ill go with a jill and a hob and then ill get the hob a vasectomy. Either that or two hobs and getting them both done before they go into rut one towards the end of this year and one just before it goes in. Ive read that hobs are more suited together as they will play figh tand all of that.

Decisions decisions.

I would say it is a myth but then again maybe I,ve just been lucky with my jills, if it gives you piece of mind getting it done then go for it,

as for which sex and how many I,ve only ever kept jills as I find hobs get very good at killing in and seeing as I don,t use locators it can be a bit of a cxnt, I prefer waiting to digging lol,

I was out a few times with rakeaboot last season though and his big hob came in very handy for the more stubborn rabbits, if the bunnys won,t move stick the big fella in, rake uses locators though so its all good, just means a bit digging and I must admit I,m slowly coming round to the idea of using locators :thumbs:

like everything new stuff costs money ,ferreting was simple when i started a few nets, a box and a ferret a few sanies and u were off ,catch a few bunnys home wet tired and happy .now its vet fees (jabs implants vasectomys ect) locators £170 quid ok there handy if your chasing numbers but in truth never lost a ferret yet maybe an hours wait max , sumtimes people think spending money solves all and get caught up in all the new gizmos .i dont even wear a watch when i go ferreting and the phone gets left in the car try it sumtime :thumbs:

Edited by f mac

i dont even wear a watch when i go ferreting and the phone gets left in the car try it sumtime :thumbs:

lol gets right on my wick me dad, weather were shooting or ferreting.. his phone is going.. granted we own our own business but on a weekend let it go on silent at least! haha.. took a mate shooting told him to hold a area whilest i went round the other field.. i walk back hes sat there with one of our guns.. having a tab texting ><.. wish mobiles wernt invented sometimes. I DO take mine but only in case of emergancy.. its on silent and i dont check it till i get back in the van.. i take my camra though

i cant tell the time so no need for a watch.

Edited by Col_c88

thats the thing about ferreting, ye can always increase yer gear, an most people do :laugh:

likes been said as a lad i just used to take a ferret in me pocket an another pocket full a nets....

these days there is bags full a pursenets in all diff sizes an colours, long netts, spades, probes, locators to carry about with you....

i usually set me self a goal each year an try an use the money i get from me bunnys to buy the new kit i want, but there again im just tight :whistling::thumbs:

thats the thing about ferreting, ye can always increase yer gear, an most people do :laugh:

likes been said as a lad i just used to take a ferret in me pocket an another pocket full a nets....

these days there is bags full a pursenets in all diff sizes an colours, long netts, spades, probes, locators to carry about with you....

i usually set me self a goal each year an try an use the money i get from me bunnys to buy the new kit i want, but there again im just tight :whistling::thumbs:

no its a fair point dotty u got a buyer and a target , i agree locators r great but theres a limit u can dig lol .the average starter can still enjoy the sport without being pressured in to buying expensive kit :thumbs:

Edited by f mac
  • Like 2

i agree locators r great but theres a limit u can dig lol .the average starter can still enjoy the sport without being pressured in to buying expensive kit :thumbs:

:notworthy:

no its a fair point dotty u got a buyer and a target , i agree locators r great but theres a limit u can dig lol .the average starter can still enjoy the sport without being pressured in to buying expensive kit :thumbs:

i agree mate i spent many years ferreting without a locator, tho in this day an age, i have found that by mentioning them while asking for permission or answering queries they get ye some a the permissions that woulda been other wise suspect of missing ferrets,

i also still spemd the odd days out without 1, i have a jill that refuses to keep still long enuff to warrant using a collar, an its her i use if im haveing a wee mooch bolting a few to the dogs,

but if the lad is serious aboot ferreting then chances are he will be considering 1 at some point anyways, so its summat to think about :thumbs:

What nobody has mentioned is in my opinion it isn,t completely necessery to get the jills jabbed etc, this is the 1st year I have used a vasectomised hob on my jills, in previous yrs I have just left the jills in season and I haven,t experienced any problems :thumbs:

I happen to agree with you KittleRox but can't work out how you haven't been shot down in flames as in the thread below.

Are you in the "in crowd".:hmm::D

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/193005-ferret-mating/page__p__1954093__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=1954093

What nobody has mentioned is in my opinion it isn,t completely necessery to get the jills jabbed etc, this is the 1st year I have used a vasectomised hob on my jills, in previous yrs I have just left the jills in season and I haven,t experienced any problems :thumbs:

I happen to agree with you KittleRox but can't work out how you haven't been shot down in flames as in the thread below.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/193005-ferret-mating/page__p__1954093__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=1954093

Aye I was expecting to be shot down, especialy the mood folk are in lately :laugh: but I,m not going to lie just to appease folk, just being honest :thumbs:

http://www.thehuntin..._1#entry1954093

Aye I was expecting to be shot down, especialy the mood folk are in lately :laugh: but I,m not going to lie just to appease folk, just being honest :thumbs:

Spot on, it's getting harder to judge the wheat from the chaff in here lately! :laugh: I've just been ripped by somebody in another thread who I've never crossed a word with in the 18 months since he's been a member.. Bollocks to it I say! :D

:thumbs: Thats another thing you sometimes get shite for, "if you can,t afford a locator you shouldn,t be ferreting, what if you lose it and it dies of starvation and kills awe the farmers chickens,blah blah blah" :wallbash:

http://www.thehuntin..._1#entry1954093

Spot on, it's getting harder to judge the wheat from the chaff in here lately! :laugh: I've just been ripped by somebody in another thread who I've never crossed a word with in the 18 months since he's been a member.. Bollocks to it I say! :D

It happens, its thl :angry::nono::boxing::laugh: