25-06 or 6.5 x55 Swede

my 25 is granted for fox their aint no comparison to the 6.5 if you want flat shooting go for a 25 if however you like trajectory's like a rainbow then the 6.5 is for you having used my 25 on all the uk deer species at both ends of the country there is nothing it wont kill :thumbs:

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago and fancied the 25.06 but felt it slightly more barky than the 6.5 x 55. But found the 6.5 x 55 more accurate !

What did i Buy !

Well for a start i reload, and went for a nice sweet shooting round that can throw larger range, of bullet weights of the 6.55 x 55.

.260 rem

Have a look at 6.5 x 68 RWS

Had read up on this round but wikepedia site says very harsh on barrel wear, barrel replacement required after 500-1000 rounds is that true?

It's a mine field this topic :blink: absolutely everyone I speak to has a different opinion on what calibre is the best. I kinda settled on the Swede but then found out Browning X Bolt not made in this calibre. May have to go for the Tikka T3.

Thanks for all the comments lads much appreciated :thumbs:

i was after a 25/06 but couldnt find a good one anywhere being lefthanded. i wanted a right hand bolt action. but with ambi stock. that ruled out a sako 75.

and i couldnt find a good tikka m690 or m695. in the end i changed the slot and got a 270 stainless m695.

cheap rifles in 270 winchester and its got a good choice of bullets. if i cant get on with it i will rebarrel it in future to 25/06

Both will do the job in hand.

However I think the 6.5x55 would be better for stalking as you will be able to shoot heavier bullets.

25-06 is great, shooting flat but that extra velocity of the lighter weight bullets will cause a bit more damage to youre deer.

6.5x55 you can load 95 vmax for fox at 32-3300 fps. I think the 6.5 is more versatile and would be my choice as I shoot a 6.5x47.

Just my op.

Garry

However I think the 6.5x55 would be better for stalking as you will be able to shoot heavier bullets.

25-06 is great, shooting flat but that extra velocity of the lighter weight bullets will cause a bit more damage to youre deer.

6.5x55 you can load 95 vmax for fox at 32-3300 fps. I think the 6.5 is more versatile and would be my choice as I shoot a 6.5x47.

Just my op.

Garry

You can load a 6.5 x 68 to launch a 95gr V max at over 4000 fps. Yup,it's a barrel burner. Popular on the Continent tho. Mountain goat at 500 yds.

Just my op.

Garry

You can load a 6.5 x 68 to launch a 95gr V max at over 4000 fps. Yup,it's a barrel burner. Popular on the Continent tho. Mountain goat at 500 yds.

Hmmmmm...... Sounds like a fun foxing rifle :)

Would surely put a smile on youre face when it hits mr fox.