Advice on rimfires

Hi all,

I'm applying for an FAC in the near future and am also going to buy the usual cabinate and ammo safe.

after this i am stuck, so heres a few question, dont be afraid to argue it helps me way up the pros and cons.

WHAT IS THE BEST CALIBRE FOR RABBITING AND TARGET SHOOTING COMBINED, BUT MAINLY RABBITING?

WHAT GUN MANUFACTURES SHOULD I STAY CLEAR OF?

WHAT ARE THE BEST MAKES TO LOOK FOR? CZ?

FOR A £450 LIMIT WHAT RIFLE WOULD BE RECOMMENDED 1ST/2ND HAND?

ANY ADVICE ON WHERE TO LOOK?

thanks and i hope this isn't too common.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using Ruger Semi-auto .22 LR Rimfire with Parker Hale Sound Mod. & .22 Winchester Super X Ammo for over twenty five years now and they have let me down; I'm on my third one now.

If you'll be shooting from a 4x4 Etc. I'd choose the short barrel with the sound mod.

Polycarbonate stock and stainless steel are very hard wearing

You'll have loads of shooters going for the 17 HMR that's been around since approx 2002, there are pro's and con's for both, one of the main being cost; a normal .22 LR Rimfire cost less to buy and feed with ammo than the 17 HMR and when I go through approx 1500 rounds a week it makes a difference to me.

That one to kick off with, I'm sure you get loads of advise on this one.

hi, i agree with you in regards to .22 but what im not sure on is the differnet types of .22 ammo you get aswell (wm...), yeh i had a go with a .22lr synthetic bolt action yesterday and they are really nice in comparison to air rifles. i think i would go for a bolty though. any particular ammo type above you would recommend.

hi, i agree with you in regards to .22 but what im not sure on is the differnet types of .22 ammo you get aswell (wm...), yeh i had a go with a .22lr synthetic bolt action yesterday and they are really nice in comparison to air rifles. i think i would go for a bolty though. any particular ammo type above you would recommend.

If you're going to use a Sound Mod. you'll have to use Sub-sonic ammo for it to be of any use; I've been using .22 LR Rimfire Winchester Super X for twenty five years and it does just what it says on the tin.

My first .22 Ruger was a bolt action, I found I wasn't fast enough for what I wanted to do; the Ruger has a 10 round box clip that fits flush but you can use a 30 round "Banana" clip for that added fun.

As it is your first gun and your budget is not huge a .22LR would be an excellent choice and CZ is a widely respected make, sensibly priced and readily available. Personally I prefer to buy new.

When you say that you would like to use it for rabbits and targets I have to assume that the primary role is hunting and target shooting is for practice. If you are into serious competitive target shooting then that requires a more refined approach.

With a .22LR you are looking at shooting distances typically up to 100 yards so you will need a reasonable quality scope with magnification of up to, say, 12 x maybe 16x if that suits you but absolutely no more. Do get one with parallax adjustment (focus) and if possble with a side focus rather than end focus (you need long arms for end focus). Don't bother with illuminated reticles or anything fancy, keep it simple. Make sure that the scope will focus down to about 25 yards - most don't!!

Add a moderator, the cheapest reasonable quality one you can get as there is little difference between them - most will say SAK and for .22LR I agree.

That little lot will certainly stretch your budget.

For accuracy go for a bolt action rifle, if your land has road / building near bye and using a .22LR watch out for Ricochet as this can cause problems. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricochet

I have both .22LR & .17Hmr both have a place on my shoot but the Hmr get the most use when rabbit shooting.

The .22 is silent but when it hits it does make a louder thud which can makes the other rabbits run.

The Hmr has a good crack when fired but with the distance of 100yards or more the rabbits don't seem to know much about it.

Price of ammo .22 @ £5 to £6 per 100

.17 Hmr @ £8.50 to £18.50 per 50 its all down to where you live.

Edited by pestcontrol121

I have 2 rimfires. Both CZ's, one in .22 and the other in .17HMR. .22 is accurate out to 100 metres max and the .17HMR is accurate out to 160 metres with no aiming off between 40 metres and 120 metres, so really a point and shot sort of setup. However if there is a gusty wind no matter how light the range comes right down.

I like both rifles and they both have a place in my rabbit shooting. Cost is an issue as HMR ammo is far more expensive than .22 ammo and for a start you'll have to try a few different brands as every barrel seems to like a different brand. You can't just say a CZ likes brand X.

If noise is an issue then you'd be better with the .22 as said above it is silent when firing. Saying that i have had more rabbits killed at one time with my .17. I can only put that down to the fact that if 4 or 5 rabbits are sitting together and the only noise they hear is the bullet hitting their pal they leg it but a sonic crack from a distance seems to confuse them and they lie down which allows you a second shot, or 4 as i've had once.

DunK

Some good advice there lads. I have a CZ and can't fault it. I've a Parker Hale mod on the end of it and it does me just fine. I use Remington sub-sonics, and at around £5 for 100, they're cheap enough for me. Great little round and they stop rabbits in their tracks.

high everyone thanks for advice. my situation is i can raise about enough so i have 300 for gun or i can stretch for better.

i already have an air rifle with good 6-24 scope and bipod so they can be transfered.

i had a go with a cz 452 .22lr i think and that for me was emmence. got on first go 2cm groupings at 60 yards not bad for first ever go in very heavy rain and mild wind.

i think a .22 is better for me as i will be mainy shooting rabbits at 75ish meters - 1m as i have managed with air rifle.

what's the average price for a new rifle as i can get a further £500 from selling my air rifle and this budget may help in options for me. plus any websites you would recommend for looking.

Personally would go for a CZ .22 rimfire if just for short range rabbits.

Moderated its very very quiet using subsonics and cheap to feed!!

If you going 'long distance' the def a CZ 17 HMR.

From memory my mate paid £260 for his CZ425 American (brand new!)

Both are great from the box and but really need a trigger kit, only a tenner and easy to fit!

Edited by masmiffy

If you want to shoot target and field it must be .22lr. There is no shooting discipline for magnum rimfires. If you need to use the same gun for both it should be bolt-action. How important is target shooting to you? By far the best actions for accuracy are Anschutz, but they are by-our-lady expensive! On your limited budget I'd go for a tidy 2/hand CZ and a good 8x56 scope.

ATB,

Ric

hi all this is great keep it coming i would be doing about 50/50 rabbit and target. but if it can hit a rabbit in the head at say 120yards, which a 12ft lbs air rifle can then im happy with that for accuracy.

i can stretch at the very limit 800 for rifle including just silencer. i've got bipod and scope.

i've heard that sak silencers are decent and only £30? i would rather spend 300-400 so i can buy a replacement air rifle as well.

so basically is it worth it for me to spend more?

hi all this is great keep it coming i would be doing about 50/50 rabbit and target. but if it can hit a rabbit in the head at say 120yards, which a 12ft lbs air rifle can then im happy with that for accuracy. i can stretch at the very limit 800 for rifle including just silencer. i've got bipod and scope.

i've heard that sak silencers are decent and only £30? i would rather spend 300-400 so i can buy a replacement air rifle as well.

so basically is it worth it for me to spend more?

Well the bit i have highlighted has just done it for me,if you can shoot a rabbit in the head with a sub 12ft air rifle at 120yards you don't need a .22 rimmy