off lead exercise

I have found that getting them fit is far easier with more than one dog. If I take one dog out on its own to the field he will just stand next to me and maybe have the odd sniff in the bushes. If I take all 3 then they can spend hours sprinting around the field chasing each other.

your bang on their :thumbs:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have found that getting them fit is far easier with more than one dog. If I take one dog out on its own to the field he will just stand next to me and maybe have the odd sniff in the bushes. If I ta

your correct S its what suites the individual, bushing is a good road to fitness but FOR ME iv never enjoyed it as much as lamping ferreting or coursing BUT each to there own everyone has a diffrent l

Posted Images

A 2 hour walk every day ! ! !

I bet you ant got your own buisness a wife and kids?!

I barlie do anything at all from march to july with mine but by october they will be as fit as a fidddle. 4 to 5 weeks fittness bike work on the roads bit of galloping then work, work, work sees my lurchers fighting fit by october a little bike work in the season tones muscles a bit if you want.

I barlie do anything at all from march to july with mine but by october they will be as fit as a fidddle. 4 to 5 weeks fittness bike work on the roads bit of galloping then work, work, work sees my lurchers fighting fit by october a little bike work in the season tones muscles a bit if you want.

B everyman has there own way what suits them if you keep a coulpe of bushers as there scooting around the running dogs are up and down like a boxer ITS EASYER TO JUST TICK OVER then to only do all the hard work in a short time ive found less injurys but hope your well :thumbs::thumbs:

B everyman has there own way what suits them if you keep a coulpe of bushers as there scooting around the running dogs are up and down like a boxer ITS EASYER TO JUST TICK OVER then to only do all the hard work in a short time ive found less injurys but hope your well :thumbs::thumbs:

your correct S its what suites the individual, bushing is a good road to fitness but FOR ME iv never enjoyed it as much as lamping ferreting or coursing BUT each to there own everyone has a diffrent life sytle, work likes and dislikes etc.

I keep her in doors happy by not going out in the summer, then she dont see me all winter! :laugh:

as long as you end up with a fit lurcher when you need them what ever method you use thats what matters!

A.T.B. B.

• Like 1

I'm lucky I'm self employed and can take the dogs to work with me. They're pretty much left to their own devices when I'm working. One minute they'll be lying down a few feet from me and the next they're galloping from one end of the field to the other...they always ready to sleep at night when I get home.

my average walk contains a bit of both road walking and freerunning ,i will roadwalk them 2 my local fields ,freerunning for 1/2 hour then down 2 my local lakes which is a bit of both as i,m walking comcrete paths for about 1 hour but can free run i want fields either side then finish of with a 1mile road work back home ,thats just a normal walk not getting them fit again for the winter :thumbs:

not long joind but already see somthing worth a look

i walk my dogs in the morning for afew mile before work.. then in the evening cycle around 8 miles or more on the country roads and at nyt let them have upto an hour free running inn the fields behind my home... i also use a lure it realy helps the dogs aswell

i walk my dogs in the morning for afew mile before work.. then in the evening cycle around 8 miles or more on the country roads and at nyt let them have upto an hour free running inn the fields behind my home... i also use a lure it realy helps the dogs aswell

is that their normal routine ?what extra do you add to your routine 2 get them matchfit ? :thumbs:

is that their normal routine ?what extra do you add to your routine 2 get them matchfit ? :thumbs:

match fits another ball game all together there diet changes exercise routines get longer more intense. also dont believe a dogs match fit however fit it might be at the begining of a season till he or she has a month under the belt :thumbs:

it takes six weeks of real stick to get my bitch fit even thou i keep her ticking over all year then you notice the differnce must be more saluki in her some dogs must come quicker depens on the x :thumbs:

nothing wrong with a bit of road work ,but youll never get a dog fit by walking it . it needs a combination of running ,walking diet ,,,,,,and rest. at this time of year as long as they are geeting out and keeping there muscles supple imo , thats fine and i dont feed high protean either at this time of year as there ot working hard enough ,to warrent it .

Hello just wondering how much off lead exercise you give your dogs each day, i am in a difficult position as i have an 18mth old dog to get into shape and an old 11 yr dog i am trying to keep fit for the good of his health??

mine.are.never.on.a.lead.unless.lamping.

they.are.out.2/3.hours.daily.

do you not road work your dogs ?

only.to.were.ever.im.going.and.there.not.on.a.lead.then.like.i.said.the.only.time.they.are.on.a.lead.is.a.slip.lead.when.lamping.

Hullhunter, whenever I read one of your posts I can't help but imagine you talking like a robot....can't imagine why :whistling:

Edited by rob190364