I was at the range at Dinnington near Newcastle today (Steve Smiths) and heard Jimmy Shitcrack talkin to Billy Bullshit about an air rifle he had that he used to shoot rabbits at ranges of 100 yards, 56ft.lbs Haha, he then went on to say it was a Weihrauch HW80.

As if that power is achievable.

Kyle

HA ha

Is this a wee joke ! Bullshit !! actually probably not,, HW 80`s are seriously tunable and 56 ft/lbs may be achievable with them

It`s a figure I would believe, given that I`ve tuned a Diana 52 to 60 ft/lbs(uncontrollable,, b*****d to shoot.. settled back down at 35 ft/lbs,,highest figure on the chrono was 72 ft /lbs),, may not be easy ,but would be doable methinks.

Be interested to hear what the sites tuners think

ATB

56?? From an 80:blink: My feckin' arse!!

Maybe the first shot or two over the chrono when it's dieseling it's arse off but after that, forget it. 18-22 at best before it starts to blow pellets all over the place.

As Rake has said, those Dianas can be tuned well, mid 30's is easy with them and they still shoot very well indeed :thumbs:

Cheers.

dont see why not? i know of a lad who runs his rapid at 80lbs and pops rabbits at 100 yards so why not a hw80?

Hi Ryan.

Because there is a world of difference between cycling the bolt on an FAC tuned PCP and actually cocking a break barrel spring rifle with an FAC tune and a high performance spring in the cylinder. Have you ever tried to cock a break barrel spring rifle like an HW80K tuned to 19.5 ft/lbs? I do, I own an HW80 on ticket to that level of power. It's a noticeably heavier, much firmer cocking effort than a sub 12ft/lb rifle, when you begin shooting with it.

After 30-40 shots and more, it's really an armful of cocking effort. An HW80 is a beautiful rifle to shoot with at higher power in the order of 18 to 22 ft/lbs as a desired maximum. That's about as high as honest, good tuners would recommend they can be usefully tuned to without serious accuracy loss from destabilising the pellet with way too much zap. A over-powerful rifle that cannot hit a tight, precision group reliably and predictably is a pile of so much useless crap.

Also, spring rifles spool up the power in a longer release cycle as the spring uncoils through the firing cycle; unlike a PCP which releases it's air charge in one measured spit from the regulator. This has consequences for higher powered spring rifles beyond a certain limit.

But 56ft/lbs and precision accuracy, cocked on the barrel of an HW80?

Cock!

Sorry but I cannot see that as a practical power level to tune an HW80 to.

Simon

Edited by pianoman