CCI Claybuster Carts / Any Good For Woodies

Hi all :D

As the posting title asks , are CCI Claybuster , 28g 71/2 12g carts any good for our feathered friend the wood pigeon. A friend of mine shoots a lot of clays and reckons that these carts are fine for woodies as well.

As i only ever use 32 no 6's for woodies , i thought i'd ask your opinions , as 28g seems a bit light to me ,

Regards ,

John :unsure:

Me and a shooting buddy have used 28g 7's on pigeon with no probs at all.

Had a good few bags of over 100 last year using them.

At 'decoyed' distances they work great!!

BIt cheaper than 32 6's as well.

We try to get 'bin ends' from the local clay club if we can!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TBH it all depends on range.

At 30 yards, 7's still carry nearly 2fpe of energy per pellet which is easily enough to knock the bird out of the sky.

For me, if I'm limiting range to 25 yards and only hitting pigeons that are commiting to land in my pattern, then I'll shoot with no7 shot for economy.

If I'm going to be shooting longer crossers etc then I use 32g of no6. At any range i can actually hit them (55 yards seems to be my limit at the moment) it 32g of 6 kills them in the air.

ATB

Duncan

BTW 28g or 30g, just means more shot. It is shot size that sets the amount of energy each pellet has when it hits the quarry. I agree that multiple strikes will kill quicker than fewer, but it only takes one hard hitting strike to a vital area to kill cleanly.

Edited by The Duncan

Ive got a friend who shoots 28grm 7 1/2's on full choke and ive seen him hitting 10 out of 10 pigeons at 30 plus yards and all been stone dead. Depends on the gun whos using them and how confident you are !!

Billy

Many will agree with that Bill.

I suppose the other reason I carry 32g of 6's as well, is for when the odd crow happens along. The 7 1/2's don't slow them down much as they are tough beggars!

I wentr through a spell of using 36g of no4's for crow. They don't like it up em!

Ive got a friend who shoots 28grm 7 1/2's on full choke and ive seen him hitting 10 out of 10 pigeons at 30 plus yards and all been stone dead. Depends on the gun whos using them and how confident you are !!

Billy

I agree with you because I do the same.

28/30 Doesnt much matter the important thing is PATTERN. A good even pattern will put more pellets into the target, with 6 or 7 shot you need 3 to 4 pellets for a sure knockdown, drop to 5 shot and you can do the same with one pellet.

I use 30g 6s fibre wad in improved choked barrel and 28g 5s in the 1/2 choke gives me 2 good even patterns at two ranges the 6s up to 30yards the 5s for anything after that..... and just remember the best ever game cartridge was and is Eley IMPAX a 28 or 1oz load, as most people shoot with game guns then i think a game cartridge makes a good match