24th ANNUAL ALL IRELAND CHAMPIONSHIPS

Storms breeding from memory is greyhound/borzoi/irish terrier. Anyone even questioning his breeding doesn't know too much about lurchers in Northern Ireland. Storm is probably one of the most famous lurchers ever to come from Northern Ireland, an absolute legend who continues to live on in his offspring. China's breeding, whippet/greyhound has been questioned before. As Albert has rightly stated she has raced at lurcher shows all over the UK and Ireland.

storm was the sire of colt but if you have not read the countrymans weekly you probably would not know who storm was.i wouldnt say he was famous thou

According to one dictionary "famous-known about by many people". I never seen the countrymans weekly article but i have heard and read much of Storm. Looking back over the years i cannot think of another dog with as little greyhound blood in it as Storm that won an All Ireland racing champion title, but i may be wrong on that one.

i bet you know John but if you did,nt none of the things you read about storm would have stook in your mind.btw he was a very nice dog im not taking anything from him

Yes, i know him from attending the shows. I don't want to hijack the original thread.

What do the lurcher people think about one show class for the older lurchers?

Edited by Dazzam

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i like to see a veterains class at shows i can show my 9 year old 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie e cant compete against the younger dogs anymore really

good luck with the show, i have a crossbred terrier worth bringing to a show, but it is impossible to show him in a class with full borders, i can not see the logic in that class "border or crossbred"

Storms breeding from memory is greyhound/borzoi/irish terrier. Anyone even questioning his breeding doesn't know too much about lurchers in Northern Ireland. Storm is probably one of the most famous lurchers ever to come from Northern Ireland, an absolute legend who continues to live on in his offspring. China's breeding, whippet/greyhound has been questioned before. As Albert has rightly stated she has raced at lurcher shows all over the UK and Ireland.

storm was the sire of colt but if you have not read the countrymans weekly you probably would not know who storm was.i wouldnt say he was famous thou

According to one dictionary "famous-known about by many people". I never seen the countrymans weekly article but i have heard and read much of Storm. Looking back over the years i cannot think of another dog with as little greyhound blood in it as Storm that won an All Ireland racing champion title, but i may be wrong on that one.

i bet you know John but if you did,nt none of the things you read about storm would have stook in your mind.btw he was a very nice dog im not taking anything from him

Yes, i know him from attending the shows. I don't want to hijack the original thread.

What do the lurcher people think about one show class for the older lurchers?

i like to see a veterains class at shows i can show my 9 year old 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie e cant compete against the younger dogs anymore really

• Like 2

Albert, if there was enough interest for a class for any type of lurcher dog over 8 years of age or similar would it be put on. There are lots of older lurchers which attend the shows, but are not entered, or are left at home as they don't stand a chance against the younger dogs. Just an idea.

Another good idea which I will put to Matt. In the KC shows the Veteran is over 7 yearsof age but I have always thought this is an unfair age to older dogs. Over 8 would be a good compromise and might bring out some of the famous older dogs as well as some 'lasters'.

Will confirm one way or another over the w/e.

Albertj

Albert if the whippets can have dog and bitch classes in the pups why can't the terriers and lurchers have the same after all there will be more terrier and lurchers than whippets ? Also why can we not have bitch classes in the terriers classes as well ????

Albert if the whippets can have dog and bitch classes in the pups why can't the terriers and lurchers have the same after all there will be more terrier and lurchers than whippets ? Also why can we not have bitch classes in the terriers classes as well ????

Des,

This point has been made and taken before and is something we will be looking at for future shows. We have come a very long way in just two years in changing the format of our shows and in introducing new innovative competitions.

All of these things and other useful suggestions will be looked at for next year.

Albertj

• 3 weeks later...

Albert, you seen to have advertised your prizes for show class winners above, but why did they not materialise today. I won champion terrier and reserve best in show today and no tankard or cash prize turned up, neither did the champ lurcher. Did the spreme champ get her coat and or cash prize?

Albert, you seen to have advertised your prizes for show class winners above, but why did they not materialise today. I won champion terrier and reserve best in show today and no tankard or cash prize turned up, neither did the champ lurcher. Did the spreme champ get her coat and or cash prize?

PobbyB,

You were supposed to go to HQ to collect Cheque and tankard and they were there. As anyone can tell you I DO NOT ADVERTISE any PRIZE or ANY EVENT that is not at our show. PM me your Name and Telephone no and you can collect your prizes.

Albert

I went to hq with matt and co and were sent to the redmills stand for pictures as Matt rangled a few bags of meal from them. When asked about the other prizes he said he knew nothing about them. There seems to be a breakdown in communication somewhere, but thanks for clearing it up

I dont mean to be too negative but a little constructive criticism can be a good thing, maybe intstead of taking pics at a stand which people were complaining about not being able to find, you could take a leaf from Moira's book and present prizes in main arena

I went to hq with matt and co and were sent to the redmills stand for pictures as Matt rangled a few bags of meal from them. When asked about the other prizes he said he knew nothing about them. There seems to be a breakdown in communication somewhere, but thanks for clearing it up

I dont mean to be too negative but a little constructive criticism can be a good thing, maybe intstead of taking pics at a stand which people were complaining about not being able to find, you could take a leaf from Moira's book and present prizes in main arena

Albert can I confirm what Poppy has said is correct Our wee bitch won best in show came away with a bag of meal and rassette.When at the red mills stand bluebell arrive with tantards for judges we all shook hands when we asked Matt was there a prize? he said he was not aware of any prize . May be a lesson to be learnrd it would be nicer to be presentrd rather than have to go looking for the award.

Thanks for clearing this up Albert

Albert can I confirm what Poppy has said is correct Our wee bitch won best in show came away with a bag of meal and rassette.When at the red mills stand bluebell arrive with tantards for judges we all shook hands when we asked Matt was there a prize? he said he was not aware of any prize . May be a lesson to be learnrd it would be nicer to be presentrd rather than have to go looking for the award.

Thanks for clearing this up Albert

you should just be happy with your golden handshake of winning it in the first place gums. Funny how you 'saved' the day yesterday apparently then today your dog (undeservidly) gets put up????? You scratch my back ill scratch yours stuff as always.

I missed yesterday(but heard all about how badly run it was and the shit that people were starting on the line etc) but made it down today for a bit before i had to go. Alot of bad blood amongst the doggie people, some people just cant see green cheese. disappointed in the results as the judges know too many people. when are these people gonna learn for the apparently biggest and best fair they should be bringing judges across the water who dont know a sinner or the issues of their breeding. then everyone will get a fair crack of the whip, unlike at the minute where judges are looking after their mates so they will in turn put them up when they judge the next show.

Nothing compared to last years show im afraid alot to be improved. Kierans show in Mourne the benchmark by a country mile.

on a more serious note, heard a rumour of a wee pup killed by a lurcher and a wee terrier pup dying of the heat, these people need to be held accountable for what they do. thoughts go out to the wee pups owners if this was indeed true

I was delighted with winnimg Been Hunter but if a prize was advertised why not ask for it? I wasnt there on Sat so cant really comment but I feel for Matt and co rather than condem them having had two lures pack in

In reference to the judging, I had only spoken to the judge before briefly at a few shows and am not by any means a friend of his. I also showed a couple of whippets, didnt win, but had no complaints about Janets judging. The whippet bitch that won was a real looker and the lurcher was in top condition and a worker

I agree if you bring judges from across the water you eliminate some of the bitching but even then you will never get everyone happy

We present the prizes at the sponsors stands AND the cheques given to the winners from HQ. We also try to present the prizes shortly after the event ends rather than having people wait about for a presentation.

I could be flippant and say "as for 'taking a leaf out of Moira's book' if that's what terrier & lurcher owners want we could certainly do that and reduce our prize fund for terrier and lurchers considerably!" AND of course I heard complains from gundog owners who finished their event at Moira early and had to wait about all day for the presentation of a quite modest prize. Also I had seen that the Moira organisers took some stick from terrier and lurcher owners over trophies and splitting bags of meal wherever they were presented. So no matter what way you do presentations it doesn't suit everyone.

I do appreciate that you were trying to be constructive but we will continue to deliver and present the best prizes at fairs in Ireland in the manner which we know works for us.

And now a constructive suggestion for prize winners who haven't received the prize they won why not make a simple enquiry to the fair HQ staff. A simple enquiry at Shanes to my son who runs the HQ would have cleared up the matter of the prizes and since the Redmills stand was on the main avenue to the arena and well branded I cannot understand why anyone couldn't find it. Funny how John Humphreys was able to both find the Redmills stand for the photos and then make his way to HQ for his cheque.

I do apologise if there was any confusion over where people collected their prizes - there should not have been BUT at any fair if I want to find out information and it is not provided in the programme I simply go to HQ.

That is why we have an HQ staffed by competent people who are in immediate touch with me if they can't deal with a particular problem. In this case had an enquiry been made they would have dealt with it. The HQ is well signed as being the information point it is centrally located and unlike Moira we provide a free programme for the event.

Albertj

We present the prizes at the sponsors stands AND the cheques given to the winners from HQ. We also try to present the prizes shortly after the event ends rather than having people wait about for a presentation.

I could be flippant and say "as for 'taking a leaf out of Moira's book' if that's what terrier & lurcher owners want we could certainly do that and reduce our prize fund for terrier and lurchers considerably!" AND of course I heard complains from gundog owners who finished their event at Moira early and had to wait about all day for the presentation of a quite modest prize. Also I had seen that the Moira organisers took some stick from terrier and lurcher owners over trophies and splitting bags of meal wherever they were presented. So no matter what way you do presentations it doesn't suit everyone.

I do appreciate that you were trying to be constructive but we will continue to deliver and present the best prizes at fairs in Ireland in the manner which we know works for us.

And now a constructive suggestion for prize winners who haven't received the prize they won why not make a simple enquiry to the fair HQ staff. A simple enquiry at Shanes to my son who runs the HQ would have cleared up the matter of the prizes and since the Redmills stand was on the main avenue to the arena and well branded I cannot understand why anyone couldn't find it. Funny how John Humphreys was able to both find the Redmills stand for the photos and then make his way to HQ for his cheque.

I do apologise if there was any confusion over where people collected their prizes - there should not have been BUT at any fair if I want to find out information and it is not provided in the programme I simply go to HQ.

That is why we have an HQ staffed by competent people who are in immediate touch with me if they can't deal with a particular problem. In this case had an enquiry been made they would have dealt with it. The HQ is well signed as being the information point it is centrally located and unlike Moira we provide a free programme for the event.

Albertj

Congratulations to all the prize winners at the show. I am happy to say that I personally have contacted the three prize winners who didn't collect their prizes from HQ to make arrangements to have them linked up with their prizes.

Albert