Can indoor ferret live outside?

Hi guys. I've posted a thread about a neutered Jill free to good home that lives indoors atm. I was thinking about taking her myself as I've seen her and she's lovely. Only problem is that she has lived in the house for 4 years- would I be able to put her in a hutch in my garage? I'm not sure how fair this would be or if she would survive in the winter etc?

Also, could I put her with my hobs? They're only kits just now and hope to get the castrated when they are old enough? Thanks

Hi guys. I've posted a thread about a neutered Jill free to good home that lives indoors atm. I was thinking about taking her myself as I've seen her and she's lovely. Only problem is that she has lived in the house for 4 years- would I be able to put her in a hutch in my garage? I'm not sure how fair this would be or if she would survive in the winter etc?

Also, could I put her with my hobs? They're only kits just now and hope to get the castrated when they are old enough? Thanks

Garages don't have much natural light, so not a good environment for animals. Mine live out in the garden in a chicken coop and come indoors a few hours a day for a play.

I'd advise to take your kits to meet this jill, she will either love them or show little interest/agression, then you have your answer as to whether its a good idea to get her. People will say yeah they will fight to sort a pecking order, but ferrets that fight/injure/squeal etc when they interact basically don't get along and it's unlikely to get better over time.

Provided you take care to condition/adapt her to an outdoor life over time, she should do fine. Don't like the hutch in the garage situation though.

If she is put outdoors when its warmish she will adapt to temperature changes, and come winter will put on a good winter coat, as long as she has plenty of warm bedding she will come to no harm.

Does the garage have windows ? as natural light is needed for good health.

Introduce her to the kits on neutral ground and she will probably be over the moon to have some ferret friends, good luck :thumbs:

the garage has got a double window in the side, loads of light in there. i found over the winter the garage was a lot warmer than outside and when it was roasting outside the garage was nice and cool. i wudnt put them outside, theres loads of little shits around here that would f**k about with the hutch just bacause its there. you see so many stories on here of peoples ferrets getting stolen. wouldnt have them living in the dark. i know a lot of people that have them in that garage as long as there is light. i understand what your saying though.

i would definitley take the ferret but its just the situation with the hobs. i might do what you said and take my kits to see this jill. see how it goes and take it from there. what about when the hobs mature? wont they still try and mate with her even though shes neutered? this would be shit for the jill. wouldnt the hobs still have the urge to dry hump her lol. cheers

I've got that Jill. She's really gentle, very Dainty. she's spending her first night in a hutch tonight. Put extra bedding in for her and a blanket. She should be warm in there, there's no wind or anything. See how it goes. She's definitely a pet and jot a worker, doesnt look like she's got a bad bone in her body

Thanks mate, feel a bit guilty leaving her in the hutch when she's been inside for dour years but she's got her hammock that she had and that so she should be comfy atb

Usually once the hobs are neutered the jill becomes the boss. Woman thing!

This is my advice, you don't have to take it!

From what I can tell, this jill has been neutered (so is a 'sprite'), she has been an only ferret? and has spent her life as an indoor pet.

She is now in a strange hutch, strange environment and different routine. Alot for her to take on board and adjust to.

I'd handle the hobs/kits then handle her, preferably with a nice treat, letting her know that she is amongst friends, she can enjoy the treat, your company and smell your ferrets from your clothes. Give her lots of fuss, let her have an explore and play away from the other ferrets. Then handle your hobs and let them smell her from your clothes and give them a treat. It might help them associate a new ferret smell with a nice reward. I don't recommend exchanging bedding etc as a way to get them used to each other, this tends to make the new ferret scent appear as an intruder in their territory and therefore a threat, and when they meet the intruder then gets a kicking!

When the new ferret is comfortable with you, let her meet the hobs by sniffing them through the hutch wire. Then introduce them in a 'neutral area' so territory doesn't start a fight. Keep a close eye, they should be curious and interact but not be agressive. Again, rocking the boat with many hunting folk here, but using something like Ferrets Formula and covering the scruff of each ferret with it might encourage them to groom and bond with each other when they meet.

Provided they get along at 'playtime' then keep her, if not then you will always have ferrets who fight with each other. I'd keep her housed separately from the hobs 'til they are neutered and if they get rough with her at playtimes, then only have them interact once the boys have had the snip. Once the boys are neutered it's unlikely they will harass the sprite, more likely she will be in charge.

I really wish you all the best.

From what I can tell, this jill has been neutered (so is a 'sprite'), she has been an only ferret? and has spent her life as an indoor pet.

She is now in a strange hutch, strange environment and different routine. Alot for her to take on board and adjust to.

I'd handle the hobs/kits then handle her, preferably with a nice treat, letting her know that she is amongst friends, she can enjoy the treat, your company and smell your ferrets from your clothes. Give her lots of fuss, let her have an explore and play away from the other ferrets. Then handle your hobs and let them smell her from your clothes and give them a treat. It might help them associate a new ferret smell with a nice reward. I don't recommend exchanging bedding etc as a way to get them used to each other, this tends to make the new ferret scent appear as an intruder in their territory and therefore a threat, and when they meet the intruder then gets a kicking!

When the new ferret is comfortable with you, let her meet the hobs by sniffing them through the hutch wire. Then introduce them in a 'neutral area' so territory doesn't start a fight. Keep a close eye, they should be curious and interact but not be agressive. Again, rocking the boat with many hunting folk here, but using something like Ferrets Formula and covering the scruff of each ferret with it might encourage them to groom and bond with each other when they meet.

Provided they get along at 'playtime' then keep her, if not then you will always have ferrets who fight with each other. I'd keep her housed separately from the hobs 'til they are neutered and if they get rough with her at playtimes, then only have them interact once the boys have had the snip. Once the boys are neutered it's unlikely they will harass the sprite, more likely she will be in charge.

thanks for that. ive been putting them in the run together to get to know each other. the jill and the young kits are getting on fine. found them asleep together after i left them for an hour. the youg hob is getting on fine with her now, he just wants to play and the jill is learning to stand up for herself now. she was alone for her whole life so she mustnt have played with other ferrets. i had them all out last night on the flowers patch, they were having a great time digging, and scratching about. they were playing with eachother and the young kits were even having a go. im really happy with the progress, i would keep them together but i think the jill needs easing in slowly and seperating them means she gets her own space where she can chill out (she like to just lie in her hammock) still taking it slow but its going good. atb

thanks for that. ive been putting them in the run together to get to know each other. the jill and the young kits are getting on fine. found them asleep together after i left them for an hour. the youg hob is getting on fine with her now, he just wants to play and the jill is learning to stand up for herself now. she was alone for her whole life so she mustnt have played with other ferrets. i had them all out last night on the flowers patch, they were having a great time digging, and scratching about. they were playing with eachother and the young kits were even having a go. im really happy with the progress, i would keep them together but i think the jill needs easing in slowly and seperating them means she gets her own space where she can chill out (she like to just lie in her hammock) still taking it slow but its going good. atb

Sounds like they are getting on great and that she's adjusting really well. She sounds like she is really enjoying the company/play with the others and no fighting which is great, she seems a really sweet ferret! Keep us posted! atb.

• 12 years later...

Sooooo. I have 2 10 months…Jill and a hob

They spend about 3 hours in their outdoor covered hutch…and it’s got a sleeping area filled with paper bedding…..double level

they run around indoors mor most of the day and night 

need to put them out for a night due to visitors it’s - 4!

Usually sleep in door 

any advice please…